BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!So finally decided to change valve stems, started to add oil every 500 miles.Thats the parts that you need to replace(see pic), also got timing tool kit and valve tool.See pics.Starting the project monday(my friend will give me spot for a week in his shop).Will keep updating how the project is going with pics of course.Prices for parts its with dealer discount, and they gave me a nice bag :)))))

Attachments

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
keep us posted :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
1,061 Posts
Nice! If you want to do a step by step write up, I'll put it in the repairs/modification thread sticky :)

Also, some people suggest it would be easier to remove the engine to do this, because of some problems seeing the rearmost valve stems. Can you take note on how difficult you find doing it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! If you want to do a step by step write up, I'll put it in the repairs/modification thread sticky :)

Also, some people suggest it would be easier to remove the engine to do this, because of some problems seeing the rearmost valve stems. Can you take note on how difficult you find doing it?
Yes, i will do step by step like i did before, i will try first without removing the engine.May be will need to modify some tool.

·
Super Moderator
1,061 Posts
I'm really hoping the engine can stay in. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,061 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,061 Posts
Sounds good!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Started yesterday.Got to the point that can't unscrew injectors lines from bottom, no access at all.Also as i see i don't need to touch turbos(my opinion for right now).From the right cooler felt this part,(see pic) dont know what is this(guys forgot it during ccp ? :) ). As i see right now , engine must be removed.Will do some research , and continue tomorrow.will keep you updating!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Keep up the good work! This looks like a bear of a job, but exciting nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,,I'm impressed on how you are going to replace the valve stem seals,,,that's a lot of work even for a BMW tech like me,,,,,first things drop the engine and trans together with the subframe complete if you can,,,,you don't have to take off the turbo,,,,leave them on,,,,just take your time and don't switch the vanos units,,,,remember they are reversed on that engine,,,,intake is on the outside and exhaust on the inside,,,,do one side at a time,,,,do not tear both sides apart at the same time,,,,there are to many parts to remember where the go,,,,so only do one side at a time,,,,good luck,,,,my blog Bmwtechnician.com

1 - 20 of 42 Posts