BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a crack in the windshield from a rock. Would you guys suggest DIY repair like those RainX repair kits or go to a professional and get it repaired or replaced??

YouTube videos of those repair kits seem too good to be true.

57123723831__912606F4-432F-49F7-AA80-C85B6374742E.jpg

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,536 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is the damage larger than a quarter? If yes then replace. If no then repair.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
Windshield replacement is covered by comprehensive insurance(does NOT count against you). Check your policy for deductible. Oem glass replacement at dealership will be around $1500-1800. Not worth to pay it from your own pocket.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Windshield replacement is covered by comprehensive insurance(does NOT count against you). Check your policy for deductible. Oem glass replacement at dealership will be around $1500-1800. Not worth to pay it from your own pocket.
You are not getting dealership glass out of most insurance providers unless there is no aftermarket made. My provider would not let me underwrite it specifically, but appeared I do have access to OEM through third party provider.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You are not getting dealership glass out of most insurance providers unless there is no aftermarket made. My provider would not let me underwrite it specifically, but appeared I do have access to OEM through third party provider.
If you car have lane assist there is no alternative but OEM glass, i replaced X5 and 7 series OEM (BMW Carlex/Securit) widnshield with GEICO and Nationwide with no questions asked.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you car have lane assist there is no alternative but OEM glass, i replaced X5 and 7 series OEM (BMW Carlex/Securit) widnshield with GEICO and Nationwide with no questions asked.
Just a matter of time for aftermarket on that... Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I have had a windshield crack like that for 3 years and it has never spread. Insurance in SC requires it to be about the size of a dollar bill to be replaced. What are the Illinois requirements?

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
I was shot at with what was likely a small caliber, low-power pistol (maybe a .25ACP) or a pneumatic BB/pellet gun. It was night, so I couldn't see the shooter. It didn't penetrate the windshield, but left a hole in the outer glass layer, and a distortion circle in the plastic layer about 5/8" in diameter. I didn't bother getting it fixed. It made for an interesting conversation piece on first dates.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I was shot at with what was likely a small caliber, low-power pistol (maybe a .25ACP) or a pneumatic BB/pellet gun. It was night, so I couldn't see the shooter. It didn't penetrate the windshield, but left a hole in the outer glass layer, and a distortion circle in the plastic layer about 5/8" in diameter. I didn't bother getting it fixed. It made for an interesting conversation piece on first dates.
My first car was a 1989 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas. Had a filled in bullet hole in the roof and someone gold plated all the chrome. That was a conversation piece at age 18.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have geico. $500 deductible for OEM bc of exactly what MarekBMW stated. My man Marek coming through again with straight facts!

And coincidentally, this rock that hit me was on the Southside of Chicago. But a rock and not some bullet like you other guys. Man, I hope you guys stay safe out there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have geico. $500 deductible for OEM bc of exactly what MarekBMW stated. My man Marek coming through again with straight facts!

And coincidentally, this rock that hit me was on the Southside of Chicago. But a rock and not some bullet like you other guys. Man, I hope you guys stay safe out there.
One more tip ...use Safelite or other direct pay installers to avoid reimbursement hassle with Geico. Also check comprehensive $250 or $0 deductible as in my area it is only $30-40 increase on 6m premium.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts