BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 91 525i and have subsequently fallen in love. Unfortunately it has a miss that I have finally tracked down and found the DME to be the problem. It refuses to fire the number one injector. This car will eventually be a turbo car, and will have independent fuel management. Until then it would be nice to be able to have her run on all six cylanders. Has anyone had experience replacing the computer with used ones, re-built ones etc. Or if anyone has a base fuel map, I may go ahead with megasquirt fi. Any feedback would be helpful.:yikes:

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
I have heard that there is a component in the ECU that can fail and cause this problem (i think it is the final stage transistor but it has been a long time since I read it). A new ECU will likely fix the issue.
JonK on Bimmer nut did a megasquirt turbo car. Not sure if he ever baselined it without the turbo. Worth asking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx

I went and picked up a salvage computer that (funny enough) has already been rebuilt. Much to my suprise it worked, plug n play. I will go independent fi when I go turbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts