BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that the California DMV is really cracking down on people who are legal California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states such as Oregon and Nevada. Remember, just because you own property in another state does not mean you are a resident of that state if you live and work in California.

Did you know that vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California?

Did you know that California law permits only 20 days to complete the process of registering your vehicle without paying a penalty?

For more information check out the California DMV website.

 

·
Family Man User
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
"This concludes our public service announcement. And now, back to your regularly scheduled show, As the 'Fest Turns."
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
bevcor said:
Did you know that vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California?
California's views of what establishes residency are not necessarily consistent with national approaches to the subject.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Establishing residency is such a vague term. I was not considered resident for in-state tuition purposes but I sure was considered resident for paying my taxes.
I really would like to know how they are planning on cracking down on it. The only way would be to check people's work records aginst their car registration (or rather lack of it in the state of CA!)
These pumpkins can't even figure out who is a US citizen or not since they send me jury duty notice at least once a month. I bet they go by the driver's license. This means if you don't drive you're not going to get jury duty?
Another typical empty CA BS...
 

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
Wallenrod said:
CA pumpkins can't even figure out who is a US citizen or not since they send me jury duty notice at least once a month. I bet they go by the driver's license. This means if you don't drive you're not going to get jury duty?
I was under the impression that they primarily utilize voter registration rolls but I may be wrong.

Be warned though, California is good at one thing. Collecting money from what they consider to be their residents!

I know from personal experience (sadly to say) that the California government has a VERY EFFICIENT system when it comes to allocating fines & collecting your money.

When I first moved to California I got a parking ticket for being in a California park "after dusk". I ignored that ticket and would you know it - within a year they had garnished my pay for it. In my prior state they wouldn't even have gotten to it in three years (other than to send a zillion notices).

Later, I paid my registration 2 days late (they tacked on 10% right there and said I was lucky as it goes to 40% if I had waited much longer).

In another case, I couldn't figure out my alternative minimum tax (there are two different tax systems - this is the mean one - it taxed me on money I never made) during the dot-com boom so I was late on filing my taxes. To make sure I wouldn't be penalized when I finally figured out the AMT, I overpayed by ten or twenty thousand dollars (you haver to guess because the AMT rules are basically the opposite of the "normal" tax rules so there are no tax tables you can consult or any simple calculations). The taxes I paid amounted to twice my total income for the year (because I bought but did not sell ISO shares in the tax year allocated). The tax that I paid nearly bankrupted me (but that is another story altogether).

Guess what California did (even though I paid everything on time and never owed them a red cent)? They charged me 25% EXTRA just for not answering their letters!

Yup. In contrast, the feds properly said Thank You - here is your refund. But California greedily said that, even though I never owed anyone a penny from April 15th onward, I didn't "answer their demand letter" in time. So they assessed a 25% tax on my total tax and took it out of my refund money I had previously overpaid them. They are, in a word, bastards. <rant>[rant]</rant><rant>(After raping me, they then waste my money by going on an irresponsible massive spending spree larger than most European countries' GDP, resulting in a landmark budget deficit (surprise!) larger than the 2004 budget of all the other 49 states combined. That's how the California bureaucrats squander </rant><rant>our hard-earned BMW sales tax & yearly registration & huge yearly car-tax money! ... If a Bimmer/Beemer driver/rider ever goes postal and runs amuck in Sacramento the next time they raise taxes - you'll be the first to know who it was ... :) )</rant><rant> [/rant]</rant>

My conclusion (based on these and many other experiences):
California government doesn't care about us; they just care about our money!

My recommendation (based on these experiences above):
Stay out of becoming a California resident for as long as you can so as not to fall under their heinous penalty rules. Once they have you in their state ... they will rape you.
 

Attachments

·
Old Fogey
Joined
·
678 Posts
In Arizona and here in Oregon they have a really simple way to identify wether you have a job there.

The local cops drive thru the parking lots of companies and gather Out of state license numbers. If they see you a second time--Ticket! and now you are in the system for all of the government to see.

I think in Tucson they did apartment parking lots too.
 

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
Joined
·
10,478 Posts
TerryY said:
In Arizona and here in Oregon they have a really simple way to identify wether you have a job there.

The local cops drive thru the parking lots of companies and gather Out of state license numbers. If they see you a second time--Ticket! and now you are in the system for all of the government to see.

I think in Tucson they did apartment parking lots too.
Shouldn't being stalked by the government on private property be against the law? Did they have a search warrant or probable cause? Besides, what if someone is there on a business trip? If the states didn't try and kill you with excessive registration fees, there wouldn't be this problem. Higher gas taxes is a better way to collect money, as driving to another state to fill up is much harder (not that I want ANY tax to be raised.)
 

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
shaftdrive said:
I was under the impression that they primarily utilize voter registration rolls but I may be wrong.

Be warned though, California is good at one thing. Collecting money from what they consider to be their residents!

I know from personal experience (sadly to say) that the California government has a VERY EFFICIENT system when it comes to allocating fines & collecting your money.

When I first moved to California I got a parking ticket for being in a California park "after dusk". I ignored that ticket and would you know it - within a year they had garnished my pay for it. In my prior state they wouldn't even have gotten to it in three years (other than to send a zillion notices).

Later, I paid my registration 2 days late (they tacked on 10% right there and said I was lucky as it goes to 40% if I had waited much longer).

In another case, I couldn't figure out my alternative minimum tax (there are two different tax systems - this is the mean one - it taxed me on money I never made) during the dot-com boom so I was late on filing my taxes. To make sure I wouldn't be penalized when I finally figured out the AMT, I overpayed by ten or twenty thousand dollars (you haver to guess because the AMT rules are basically the opposite of the "normal" tax rules so there are no tax tables you can consult or any simple calculations). The taxes I paid amounted to twice my total income for the year (because I bought but did not sell ISO shares in the tax year allocated). The tax that I paid nearly bankrupted me (but that is another story altogether).

Guess what California did (even though I paid everything on time and never owed them a red cent)? They charged me 25% EXTRA just for not answering their letters!

Yup. In contrast, the feds properly said Thank You - here is your refund. But California greedily said that, even though I never owed anyone a penny from April 15th onward, I didn't "answer their demand letter" in time. So they assessed a 25% tax on my total tax and took it out of my refund money I had previously overpaid them. They are, in a word, bastards. <rant>[rant]</rant><rant>(After raping me, they then waste my money by going on an irresponsible massive spending spree larger than most European countries' GDP, resulting in a landmark budget deficit (surprise!) larger than the 2004 budget of all the other 49 states combined. That's how the California bureaucrats squander </rant><rant>our hard-earned BMW sales tax & yearly registration & huge yearly car-tax money! ... If a Bimmer/Beemer driver/rider ever goes postal and runs amuck in Sacramento the next time they raise taxes - you'll be the first to know who it was ... :) )</rant><rant> [/rant]</rant>

My conclusion (based on these and many other experiences):
California government doesn't care about us; they just care about our money!

My recommendation (based on these experiences above):
Stay out of becoming a California resident for as long as you can so as not to fall under their heinous penalty rules. Once they have you in their state ... they will rape you.
hmm, seems to me that if you would pay your tickets and taxes on time you wouldn't have so many problems.
 

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
cwsqbm said:
Shouldn't being stalked by the government on private property be against the law? Did they have a search warrant or probable cause? Besides, what if someone is there on a business trip? If the states didn't try and kill you with excessive registration fees, there wouldn't be this problem. Higher gas taxes is a better way to collect money, as driving to another state to fill up is much harder (not that I want ANY tax to be raised.)
It's not a "search" if the police observe your license plate, be it on the public streets or in a parking lot. As to the police entering 'private' parking lots, I'm sure that either its OK per se, or they get permission from the owners to patrol there, for example to watch for vandals. Once there, anything in plain view is fair game for the police.
 

·
ex-M couper
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
Bart001 said:
It's not a "search" if the police observe your license plate, be it on the public streets or in a parking lot. As to the police entering 'private' parking lots, I'm sure that either its OK per se, or they get permission from the owners to patrol there, for example to watch for vandals. Once there, anything in plain view is fair game for the police.
Agreed, but it is still no proof of residency, at least from a logical perspective.

Case in point --- I was in Oregon a few years ago to visit a friend. I would drive her to her workplace in the morning and pick her up after work, saving her the problems of commuting without a car. At no time did I take employment in the state of Oregon.

Yeah, I'm probably going to get nailed for late fees when I register my M coupe here in Calif. but I don't want to have to do the DMV Polka twice and I'm waiting on DMV for my personalized plates to arrive before I go in to do the registration. Note that I am waiting for them.
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,346 Posts
shaftdrive said:
I was under the impression that they primarily utilize voter registration rolls but I may be wrong.
Here in TX they are also selecting prospective jurors from driver license records. I got a notification last month which I had to decline for not holding US citizenship.

The is no commonly understood standard for establishing residency. As an example, the IRS considers illegal immigrants to be residents of the US for tax purposes and they are obligated to have taxes withheld from their paychecks. No other govenment agency (except for DMV) considers them US residents. :confused:
 

·
...worked on the railroad
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
I've heard about people "dropping a dime" on their neighbors - reporting them if they know they've lived in the neighborhood for a while, but have "furreign" license plates :tsk:

Yes, I think folks should do the right thing, but since I don't have the ability to create the universe ex nihlo, meaning I have the prerogatives of Deity, unless someone is being hurt, abused or their life threatened (which should defnintely be reported to the authorities ASAP), I can't say that I should turn people in for something like a non-California license plate - if I knew the person well enough, I'd encourage them to deal with the DMV, but turn them in - I just can't see it.
 

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
TGray5 said:
hmm, seems to me that if you would pay your tickets and taxes on time you wouldn't have so many problems.
RANT WARNING!

True. But the point was that California is very good at collecting their money from people it considers their residents (and this thread was, I believe, basically about residents not wishing to be residents, just yet, for monetary reasons). I was just warning them about California (and interjecting my own experiences).Witness the difference between how the Feds treated my money never owned to them versus how California did as just one example.

Additionally notice many states have a "safety" inspection, typically yearly or biyearly, which checks tires, headlights, horn, windshields, smog, etc. (some even check suspension components for all non-commercial vehicles over 90,000 miles by putting them on a lift). California merely has a smog inspection. Point is, California doesn't care if you run your tires ragged or if your ball joints are about to fall off - it won't get them any more money so why should they care about your safety).

In addition, witness the California 7500 rule, which was covered elsewhere and which, in summary, DEFINES a new car as any car with fewer than 7500 miles on it - which has to be a California car in order to be registered in California. What's with that? Likewise, witness the $300 dollar so-called smog-impact tax imposed on all out-of-state residents moving into California in the 90's which collected hundreds of millions of dollars which the state KNEW was illegal from the beginning - and which was ruled illegal in the courts three times yet California still collected the money and only refunded a portion of that (see the thread on that elsewhere in bimmerfest).

Also witness the illegal bills sent to ex-California residents who retire and move to some low-tax or no-tax state such as Florida. California actually sends them BILLS to collect on the money California wants from their 401K reimbursements even though Florida legistaters have decried the practices as infringing on states rights.

And on... and on... and on...

As a summary, my heart-felt response to the original government troll which said "I hear that the California DMV is really cracking down on people who are legal California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states" was that I reaffirm California is very good at collecting what they consider to be money available in the pot.

So, my simple suggestion is:
Skirt California law as long as you can (mostly by not becoming an 'official' California resident) without getting caught by the bureaucrats - and don't worry about "morals" because those same bureaucrats don't care about you - they only care about your money (and then wasting it).

[/rant]
 

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
Yeah, I'm probably going to get nailed for late fees when I register my M coupe here in Calif. but I don't want to have to do the DMV Polka twice and I'm waiting on DMV for my personalized plates to arrive before I go in to do the registration. Note that I am waiting for them.
Interestingly, if I'm a day late on my registration payment, California charges me 10% (which ratchets up to 40% very quickly).

Yet, like you, despite the fact that I purchased my bimmer in early March, I'm STILL driving around with no plates (front or rear) because the California DMV doesn't care to give me the plates. I'm told it can take up to six months.

Notice I didn't say they didn't care to receive their thousands of dollars in registration fees and taxes. That I paid the day I bought the BMW. They just don't care one bit about the plates. Like you, I'm wating on THEM for almost THREE MONTHS to deliver the plates.

Similarly, it took the Californa DMV about four months before my beemer was tagged. But guess what, BMW motorcycles have a SPACE in the engine serial number. That space caused the DMV to not "see" the previous owners California registration. That meant they THOUGHT the previous owner got away with not paying registration on the bike for the two years it was owned by him. So, they made me stand six hours (over a two-day period) in the DMV office arguing with them to just register the bike. Had I known in the beginning that it wasn't over the space per se, it was all over MONEY they THOUGHT they were owed, I would have just gone postal right there!

Just another case in point that California doesn't care about you or your vehicle or even its own rules & regulations. All California bureaucrats care about is YOUR MONEY; and they are VERY GOOD at collecting that and then wasting it (witness the irresponsible budget shortfall so vast, all other states combined couldn't even compete).

Sorry to give so many personal examples ... I've been here a couple of years now (and have learned the hard way).

See related rant at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1209406#post1209406
 

·
...worked on the railroad
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
tales o' the CA DMV....

Tale #1: It took a verrrrry looong time just to get Karl Bimmer's plates; I'd paid the car off, and kept wondering, "where is the title?" I just let it go for months until I got my next registration that still said "BMW Bank of North America" - on a hunch, I called BMWNA, and they told me that they'd sent my title to Crevier BMW :dunno: :yikes: several months ago. I called Crevier and they said, "yep, we've had it here for a while" (soooo, why didn't you guys call me?????)

Tale #2: Since we'd used the Oldest Tax Deduction's baby money to buy the first house, we told him that he had $4,000.00 to buy his first car (he got a lot of baby money :thumbup: ). We purchased the car in late 2004; as the tulips are coming up in 2005, and my son has been stopped so many times by the Chino Hills Police for lack of tags that he's on a first-name basis with them ("oh yeah - I stopped you last week; still haven't got your plates yet?") I, his mother, decided to do battle with the DMV; arriving in Norco, appointment in hand, I'm told to join the line stretching around the building because it didn't matter whether I had an appointment or not :mad:

There is only one person handling the front desk; finally when it's my turn, I tell this person my tale, I'm handed a form, told to come back to the front desk, then I get a number. About 30 minutes later my number is called, I go to the window and am told "your son's car was never registered by the dealer" :yikes: . I'm given a registration, complete it, pay the $15 (I think), and walk out with plates in hand.

Ah....my California Tax Dollars not at work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
car_for_mom said:
I've heard about people "dropping a dime" on their neighbors - reporting them if they know they've lived in the neighborhood for a while, but have "furreign" license plates :tsk:
A person in the Boston area was just arrested in a sting operation for vandelizing cars. Apparently if a car with an out of state plate was parked in his neighborhood he would trash it. In the sting the police used a vehicle with Texas plates.

--Larry
 

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
my California Tax Dollars not at work!
I bought my bimmer in late February and I STILL don't have the California plates from the incompetent California DMV!

I'm driving around with NOTHING on my front and rear (except a small one-inch by 6-inch slip of paper taped to the bimmer's rear window).

I called the DMV just last week to ask them what in heavens name is taking them so long as I PAID thousands in California fees when I registered the bimmer and the DMV operator said they typically take more than four months to get the plates to my door! Can you believe that? These are the stock plates (never in a million years would I waste additional money on these bungling bureaucrats for a vanity plate which costs upwards of two thousand additional dollars in fees to these incompetents over one driver's lifetime). They show they collected my money the day I paid it (I must admit, California is VERY GOOD at collecting our money!). They cashed the check in record time!

If a service-oriented business were as incompetent as the California DMV - they'd be kicked out the door well before they would get a chance to statutorially rape us like the California DMV & California government does, yearly.

The California DMV incompetent bungling also extends from bimmers to beemers.

For example, it required about 8 hours (over a span of two days) at the California DMV just to register my out-of-state beemer?

Why?

Because some (all?) beemers have a space in the engine serial number (listed as an "S" (for space) in the title). This horrid germanic space caused the incompetent California DMV bureaucratic rapists to waste hours trying to collect MONEY for the previous two years' registration (which occurred in another state altogether). Only when it was all over, did I find out their inability to initially register my beemer was all about MONEY (not my motorcycle). More specifically, the California DMV bureaucrats don't give a twit about us or our BMWs; all they care about is our money.

It cost almost a thousand dollars in California fees and those 8 hours just to force the bungling CA DMV bureaucrats to properly register the California-titled beemer (one could argue that I was incompetent at registering - as this absolutely can't be the norm - or the lines at the California DMV would stretch around the building!). However, in my defence, I filled out the proper forms and I paid the horrendious amount of money (which they took immediately even though it was weeks before my second 4-hour appointment to conclude the lengthy California DMV registration process for in-state titled bought-out-of-state space-in-the-engine-serial-number beemers).

At least the California DMV nincompoops finally handed me my biker plate & registration sticker right there. Whew! I nearly sprinted out of that CA DMV office for fear of yet another affadavit to sign (no I never registered it before, yes I bought it for the amount I said I did, yes those are the true miles on the bill of sale, yes I bought it out of state, no it does not have fewer than 7500 miles on the odometer, yes that is the correct VIN, no I didn't alter the odometer or the vin or the engine serial number, etc.). Whew!

In my very horrible opinion, it is these same California bureaucratic rapists who posted the original CHEATERs logo who desperately desire to obtain (and then waste) even MORE of our money!

Such deeply felt feelings did not come easily to me; it was only after numerous dealings with the California DMV that I became of this opinion.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I'm surprised by the suggestion that CA residents would get a good deal by registering their cars here in NV. Our fees are based on the car's MSRP (which as you all know can be hefty for a BMW, even those years old), and each county and city adds their fee on top of that! Lots of new residents here wait for months to register, and with such a tourist (read gambling)-based economy, they can get away with it. But thank goodness it's still a relatively unpopulous state, and our DMV (at least up here in Reno) can keep up with the demand.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top