BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have the stock Bridgestone Tunanza EL42 tires (205/55R16 91H) and am planning on driving to south Lake Tahoe on highway 50. I had run into chain requirement a couple of times before. I know they will let 4 wheel drive go without chain even though it is not on winter tires. My question is do I really need winter tire on highway 50 and local residential roads ?

Any recommendations on tires are appreciated too.

Eddie

·
Enjoying Your Money
572 Posts
I have been driving to Lake Tahoe for the last 10 years almost every weekend. Winter tires will make little difference on Highway 50 since they plow the road almost immediately, as far as driving on some residential roads even the best winter tires may not make a difference since your car is relatively low to the ground to drive trough some unplowed residential streets.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
I have the stock Bridgestone Tunanza EL42 tires (205/55R16 91H) and am planning on driving to south Lake Tahoe on highway 50. I had run into chain requirement a couple of times before. I know they will let 4 wheel drive go without chain even though it is not on winter tires. My question is do I really need winter tire on highway 50 and local residential roads ?
Not today, but Monday you might be glad to have chains. Passed through this morn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts