Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
That's actually a good question. I was thinking about the same the other day after I finished burning (and closing) a CD... I wouldn't think so though... I've never heard of a non-aftermarket player capable of playing CD-RW's...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Maybe there's something wrong with my unit, but, it plays CD-RW's no problem (except for one that I forgot to close:) )

Maybe 2002 is different??

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DougDogs said:
Maybe there's something wrong with my unit, but, it plays CD-RW's no problem (except for one that I forgot to close:) )

When you "close" the RW, what does that mean exactly? I have always been a little uninformed in this area.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mystikal said:

When you "close" the RW, what does that mean exactly? I have always been a little uninformed in this area.
On my Dell 8100, it does not finish burning all the files and fat until I press "close" button. It must be doing something then:dunno: cause it takes another 8-12 seconds to eject.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Mystikal said:

"closing a disk" means that the burner writes some additional start and end language to the cd so that standard or "old school" cd players can read it, and navigate it. With a rw, you can then go format it, then reburn. A disk not closed, datta can be transferred on and off just like a hard drive.

Pretend closing is the equivalnt to pushing the tab on a floppy down. Except in this case older cd players NEED it closed to read it.

I dont know if my description is technically accurate, but thats basically it.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
DougDogs said:

Nope... That's because you "closed" it... Once you "close" a CD, it's not RW anymore...

Mystical, that actually answers our question.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Mystikal said:
Thanks for the explanation. But if you close an RW, will it work in the factory player?
Yup. See my post above. Once you close it, it becomes an ordinary audio CD.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Mystikal said:

Why doesn't anybody tell me these things?!
Also keep in mind, you probably already know. You have to burn it as an audio CD though. Like A program called Nero for instand. You pick out say 15 mp3. You hit burn and it will automatically transform them into audio files for the cd players. Just a heads up in case you dont know. You do need to burn the right files in order for it to work as well.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dredmo said:

Also keep in mind, you probably already know. You have to burn it as an audio CD though. Like A program called Nero for instand. You pick out say 15 mp3. You hit burn and it will automatically transform them into audio files for the cd players. Just a heads up in case you dont know. You do need to burn the right files in order for it to work as well.
Of course. I have been using Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum for some time now to create Audio CD's from MP3's, I was only unsure about the RW settings.

Thread closed. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts