BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Do Bi-xenon come std on all 2004 E46?

1156 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Scott ZHP
Hi All,
I am a newb here as you guys can tell.
I would like to know if Bi-Xenon projectors come standard on all 2004 E46. If not, what models don't have it and what models do? Thank you all in advance.

James
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Nope... They're a $700 or so option
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.
Like we all know, some options are already preinstalled by factory in many new vehicles. Will it be easy to locate a 2004 E46 w/ bi-xenon even though it is a $700.00 option?
most cars on the lot will already have them installed.

same thing with automatics and sunroofs.
Thank you very much. I just impulsely purchased 2004 3 series Xenon headlamps. I was worried that it may be single xenon. The wrecking yard had very little knowledge of these lamps besides they are from a 04 E46. I am planning to gut the internals and have them retrofitted into my tundra truck.

Mathew,
How do you like the overall performance of your bi-xenons?
Not Matthew... Xenons are good.. They are definitely brighter but their distance seems to be less than halogens. Halogens fade into the night whereas Xenons just "cut off".. It's what people here refer to has a sharp cut off and that's exactly what you will see. Overall, they are great. Goodluck with your project
retrofitting xenon lights to a truck? WTF? well i guess it's better than 99% of the dweebs I see in so cal with cheesey blue lights in their trucks. at least yours will be real xenons. :dunno:
ISTundra said:
Thank you very much. I just impulsely purchased 2004 3 series Xenon headlamps. I was worried that it may be single xenon. The wrecking yard had very little knowledge of these lamps besides they are from a 04 E46. I am planning to gut the internals and have them retrofitted into my tundra truck.

Mathew,
How do you like the overall performance of your bi-xenons?
Please please please aim the xenons properly. :eek:

The BMW xenons come with a self-leveling motor that are supposed to keep the lights aimed with varying load in the car. I imagine this would be a greater problem when the lights are fixed to a truck, with a load in the bed, and with a softer suspension.
ISTundra said:
I am planning to gut the internals and have them retrofitted into my tundra truck.
Aiming them for a truck is worthless.. almost.. they ride so high that even aimed down they will blind you..
LOL. I'll just aim the cut off with my stock halogen hot spots. i think they should be fine... i love the chrome bezel with "XENON".
Youll know when you've aimed them wrong when people start flashing you or flicking you off
yeah i know. it's a trial and error phase. eventually they will stop when my lamps are at the correct level.
They probably won't. I've had my car for two years, had the lights checked and yet I still get flashed. especially if I come up behind someone and pass them at night...
ISTundra said:
yeah i know. it's a trial and error phase. eventually they will stop when my lamps are at the correct level.
Well, old cranky and envious people without HID always flash people who have HID.
I'm not sure about BMW's xenons but for non-factory installed xenons that are installed on a Porsche, even if they're OEM xenons (Litronic), the self-leveling does not function.
FenPhen said:
Please please please aim the xenons properly. :eek:

The BMW xenons come with a self-leveling motor that are supposed to keep the lights aimed with varying load in the car. I imagine this would be a greater problem when the lights are fixed to a truck, with a load in the bed, and with a softer suspension.
Thats because the headlight is but one part of the leveling system.

The level adjustors are built into the headlight housing, but the level sensors are mounted on the front and rear passenger side control arms. The sensors send a signal to the LCM (light control module) which interprets them and then tells the headlight how much to adjust.

Unless you retrofit the levelers and run the LCM wiring, the adjustors in the lights are useless.
Miles said:
I'm not sure about BMW's xenons but for non-factory installed xenons that are installed on a Porsche, even if they're OEM xenons (Litronic), the self-leveling does not function.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.