BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of years ago I bought a complete front end kit and left out changing the tie rods since the original were rock solid. Well I got a bad tie rod now and I'm about to change them @ 1am. I just pulled them out of the parts pile in my garage and I didn't notice the thread length difference when I bought em. Are they supposed to be different? I don't want to change one side and find out the other one wont fit at this time of night. Only good part of working at this time is getting bothered by drunk women coming out of the bars and clubs a block away. :):)

I think I'm gonna get some other work done and leave the tie rods for tomorrow when the parts houses are open just in case I need something.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
If they are the same brand and of good quality they will be the same length. My TRWs replacements were. Although, technically if 1/4 or less longer, it shouldn't matter as there are threads and the lock nut to helps adjust length. Especially when getting an alignment.

In your case, that seems like two different brands and one where the manufacture on the right tried to same money on some steel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the longer one is normal and the shorter one is a cheap aftermarket design? should i chuck em and get a new pair?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were all from one package of the cheapos i think it was hamburg technic. I didnt mind since i was ripping the bushings out and using poly bushings. the ball joints on the cheapos have been pretty good, thats my reasoning behind not going with lemforder. dont worry Im not "one of those people" lol

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
I'm not even sure there is enough thread on the short one to tighten it down.

In my experience the problem with tie rods are that they require an alignment afterwards and it is very hard to get it exactly like before just by counting turns and length. Even 1/4 of a turn can push your toe out of spec and ruin good tires within 500 miles.

Alignments generally cost $80+ so going with something that may need replacement again doesn't save you anything. At $50 ea, I would just toss them and get TRWs. Check your center tie rod assembly as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah I'm aware of the alignment, I'm marking the threads and counting the turns. Did this on my e30 and went for an alignment a few days later, the mechanic was laughing cause it took him so long to set up and all it needed was a 1 turn adjustment on one side. If the car feel like its driving correctly I wont even bother aligning it. I guess i couldn't get 100% away with buying the cheapos, but I have used the cheapo front end kits on 5 different BMWs and had no problems even 6 years done the road.
Just gotta take off bith wheels tomorrow and see if i could use these tie rods.

I was just hoping somebody would remember if the thread lengths are supposed to be different

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Yah I'm aware of the alignment, I'm marking the threads and counting the turns. Did this on my e30 and went for an alignment a few days later, the mechanic was laughing cause it took him so long to set up and all it needed was a 1 turn adjustment on one side. If the car feel like its driving correctly I wont even bother aligning it. I guess i couldn't get 100% away with buying the cheapos, but I have used the cheapo front end kits on 5 different BMWs and had no problems even 6 years done the road.
Just gotta take off bith wheels tomorrow and see if i could use these tie rods.

I was just hoping somebody would remember if the thread lengths are supposed to be different
You're lucky with the turns. I used a caliper AND counted the turns twice when I did mine. About 100 miles later, I saw excess wear on the inside (excess toe out but 1/2 turn) by being off by 20 degs. I needed new tires anyway so I replaced tires and got an alignment.

Again, the lengths WILL BE the same if the tie rods are good quality and same brand. In fact, they will be a mirror image except for the L/R casting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts