BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm trying to sell my '99 E39. I have loved the car, but it is time to part with it.

We were going to trade it in, and on the way to the dealer I stopped off to get it washed. Radiator cracked at the entrance to the carwash. Car wash was attached to a quick lube, and one of the guys comes over (while I'm waiting to be towed away) and asks me about the car, says he might be interested...

$600 later, it has a new radiator and Mr. Quick Lube asks me to bring it on down to his work so he can take a look at it and let me know if he wants it. Before I know what's happened they drive it into the oil change place and some sidekick in the pit says the main seal is leaking. Mr. Quick Lube offers me $2,000 right there and then to take the sorry mess off my hands. I politely decline and leave, knowing he's an a*hole who is messing with me.

A month later the car is still languishing in my garage, so I finally call a local place to get it detailed so I can get it up online. When I drop it off, Mr. Detailer says "my buddy might be interested in buying this". Turns out his mysterious buddy would buy the car for $4500. And I only have to give Mr.Detailer $250.00 for his trouble selling the car (on top of the cost of the detail). He calls me the next day to say his buddy wants to give me a deposit tomorrow, and then drive the car off 30 miles away so his "BMW friend can take a look at it, put it on the scope, ya know?" oh, and I haven't forgotten about his $250, right?...

Am I just suspicious now, or are these people totally taking the piss? I said the guy is not driving it anywhere without me. I have also fully disclosed all the issues with the car, so there is no room for negotiation.

Can someone tell me if I'm just having bad luck, or are all people this difficult when you try and sell privately? Should I tell the guy to take a hike?

Not to make this post any longer, (and I'm not trying to sell this here in the wrong forum, I promise) but for clarification, car has 125k miles, needs new rear strut, I've done a ton of stuff (a/c compressor, radiator, head gasket, snaprings and ball joints, yadda yadda. BMW parts or good as, BMW tech guy does the work - I took care of the thing.)

·
Registered
462 Posts
$4500 is not very far off the real value of the car TBH. If you can wait for the right buyer you could probably get another grand more, but not much more. Also anyone buying a car will of course want to have the car looked over by a mechanic. They should still pay for the inspection and it should be a place that you agree is not going to try and screw you or him. The problem is they will want to take it to a friend who will most likely find a million and one "issues" with the car to help their friend. Honest buyers and sellers are hard to find nowadays, so everyone wants to cover their behind. You can't expect to have 2 people look at the car and sell it for what you're looking to get.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts