BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get an oil change for my 2006 BMW x5 4.8is which I believe takes 8 quarts but I'm unsure as to what oil is best and what additives I can add. I just purchased the vehicle a little more than a week ago and have seen small amounts of white smoke come from the pipes but only randomly when I sit at idle for a while. So changing the PCV Valves will probably be something to do in the near future. I know the owner's manual recommends 5w-30 and 5w-40 and BMW recommends Castrol. I've also heard good things about Liqui Moly as well. Can I use any additives from Lucas, Motor Honey, Restore, or even Marvel Mystery Oil? Is so, what's the most recommended and what amounts should I add the additive(s)? I'd like to stop or even reduce burning oil as much as possible while cleaning the engine and reducing wear and tear on the internal parts of the engine. Thanks for your invaluable help and any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
#1. Read/search this forum and other BMW forums for oil recommendation.
Buy BMW recommended oil which has bmw LL-01 approval
Of course best is o buy BMW oil but it tends to be expensive. (look down for X5 oil change kit)

https://getbmwparts.com/partlocator...atalogid=4462&siteid=214672&categoryID=127995 for $88 plus S&H will total ~$95

Or go to Walmart and get Castrol 0w40 european formula (BMW approved) - 5Q jug cost $26 (and you need 2 so $52) Plus filter will total about $70

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-0W-40-A3-B4-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/35931146

Replace oil & filter every 7k miles and you will be fine for long time
Stay away from ANY additives... they don't fix anything but can cause lots of issues.

White smoke can be easy and inexpensive to fix if it is PCV or ~$3k if valve lifter seals need replacement and unfortunately these engines tend to need them after you pass 100k miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.