BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
YeS...
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hook the driver side back onto what ever braket it is that holds it in place???

before you guys go all "SEARCH" happy, I am not asking how to remove my bumper... I tried searching for my answer first...

I just want to know if there is a way "without" removing the whole bumper to hook it back on, on one side... For some reason its off on the drivers side... It always looked like it was about to come off on that side, and the other day i was backing out of a steep drivway and went off of the sidewalk which caused it to hit the bumper from under... It got much looser and is off of the braket (or what ever holds it on the sides)...

TIA :thumbup:

·
BadBrad
234 Posts
Do you mean the plastic bumper cover has come loose from the steel bumper underneath? If that's what you are asking then the answer is you do not have to take the whole bumper off to reattach the cover. There are plastic rivets that hold it on to the steel bumper. They are located in the upper area of the opening of the lower grill as well as just behind the rub strips on the front and side edges of the cover. The original rivets are non-replacable but the dealer has new ones that have a center pin that is pushed in to lock it in place.

·
YeS...
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brad I am talking about the actual bumper cover... The only peice that is off is the section under the front fender... I need to take a pic for a better visual... There is some sort of a bracket that holds the cover on on the sides. (i will try to look for a pic of it)

So yeah the cover is off of it on that section alone...

And Kuma, i dont think so but i figured id try to put it back on without having to take the bumper off and if it holds im good if not then i would assume its broken... I just honestly do not have the time to do this which is why i am trying to find a quick and easy solution...

·
Univ. of OOPS!
137 Posts
If it isn't broken, you can access it by removing the fender liner (best to remove the wheel on that side) and reaching in under the fender. I don't actually remove the whole liner, but just remove enough of the bolts/clips so that i can bend it enough to get my arm/hand in.

There will be two bolts (10mm?) that hold the bracket. You can take the bracket off, slide it into the bumper and then bolt it back on. Usually helps to have a second person push/hold the bumper in position while you tighten the bolts, but not absolutely necessary.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
The bumper is mounted to the car via a mounting bracket on the part number 27, 28,29. On the bumper cover side is square mounting cover that slides onto the mounting bracket. Quite often the mounting cover gets torn when pulled of the bracket with force. Rather than try to slide it back on the bracket, you need to remove the bumper or wheel liner to see if it is torn. If it is, you will need to fix the cover first. Some people have fabricated a bracket and screwed it back on. Otherwise, simply sliding it back on without seeing if it was torn can lead to the bumper sliding off again just by driving around. If you are able to put it back on without removing the 2 T-50 torx bolts and they come back off in about a weeks time, I am pretty sure the mounting cover on the bumper side is torn. If case you are wondering the the mounting cover is attached to the bumper cover so it is NOT sold separately which is why when torn some people fabricate a new bracket to attach it to.

·
YeS...
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. This helps a lot... I think I will be able to just look and see if the bracket on the bumper side is broken... If not i will just slide it back on for now.. If Its broken, i am just going to go with an M bumper anyways... :dunno: (would just rather not spend the money on that right now)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had this problem myself (courtesy of a concrete parking block..)

There is a clip in the side of the bumper that 'slides' in a rail mounted on the car. Yours has popped out of the rail, and so the side of your bumper has come away from the body of your car (just below near the indicator part of your headlight). Yeah?

I couldnt get mine back in without removing the bumper and re-lining it up and sliding it back on properly. There just isnt enough flex in the plastic to do it.

Its pretty easy to take the bumper off and put it back on properly if you know how to do it (10 or 15 minute job when you get good at it)

Unless your plastic clip rail behind the bumper has actually broken away from the corner of the car... If it has, you need a new clip assembly. I doubt its broken, because I smashed my bumper pretty hard when I went offroad last time, and the clip took a h3ll of a beating and stood up to it really well. Its quite beefy looking. My guess is that its just not clipped in properly.

·
My name is Andy
666 Posts
LOL, for some people changing a bulb is hard to do!:yikes:
Point taken I guess. I can take off the front end in under 5 minutes now. I just had a fog light crap out and just took the whole thing off instead of messing around on the ground.

·
YeS...
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I will try to see if i could get it down without removing the bumper..
Just take off the bumper, it's not very hard to do.
LOL, for some people changing a bulb is hard to do!:yikes:
And i doubt it will be hard to remove the bumper just trying to take the short route due to weather and lack of time...

BTW i am pretty handy when it comes to cars.. that is not the point though... :thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
No

I had this problem recently. The bumper cover has a "reciever" slot which fits over a rectangular bracket which has rounded corners. This is help on with the torx nuts/bolts. I was able to remove the wheel liner (lower part only), Loosen the bracket and slide the cover back on. It seems the design allows the cover to pop off without breaking the brackets. I bought right and left brackets just in case and never used them.

It is easier to work in the area withthe car jacked up and the wheel removed.

·
YeS...
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Biglove.......,

Try just removing the splashguard. That will allow you to access the bracket and inspect the issue.
Inspected the bracket and it is not broken... I will try removing the splash gaurd and doing it that way.. I did notice the the bracket that goes on the car has (two) screws... Each facing opposite sides... I would remove both of them in order to slide it back onto the bumper correct?

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Point taken I guess. I can take off the front end in under 5 minutes now. I just had a fog light crap out and just took the whole thing off instead of messing around on the ground.
Is there a front bumper removal DIY handy anywhere?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Like Mack, wondering if anyone has seen a DIY for front bumper removal? Probably a no-brainer but some experience always helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts