Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the procedure for programming new TPMS in the wheels for a '15 F15 X5? Can you simply go thru the reset process on idrive? Or does a special tool needed to id?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
It depends by what you mean by "new". If they are new aka "blank" TMPS sensors that have never been used and are "universal" (for multiple applications)...they may need to be "programmed" or in a sense..."awakened" and programmed/initialized for their specific application (first use). I would ask the vendor/seller if the sensors will need any special programming/coding prior to installation.

Once they have been programmed, then they should be easily reinitialized if removed and remounted (like if you have a dedicated winter wheel/tire set-up). The sensors (at least BMW sensors) have an acceleration sensor built-in to them. They will stop sending a signal if still. The will begin sending a signal once they begin to move and their individual/internal batteries aren't dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TPMS sensors are new BMW/VDO sensors i just bought & I have installed on new wheels & tires but have not been mounted to the car yet. Didnt know if the car would recognize them when i mount them to car & do a RESET from idrive. Or if something else needs to be done to initialize them.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I won't say that they will work 100%...but since they are BMW brand sensors...I'm guessing they will work (95%?) :D

My personal experience...when I purchased dedicated winter tires for my f06...I went with aftermarket TPMS sensors...which were purchased through Discount Tire (along with the winter tires). They had a tool that "awakened" or coded those aftermarket sensors when they mounted the tires to the wheels. I had other things being done to the car at another establishiment...so the winter wheels/tires weren't installed on the car at that point. The other establishment that was doing a 4-wheel alignment and other stuff mounted the wheels/tires after they did the work they were doing...and that's when the TPMS system was initialized with the new tires using iDrive.

While the winter tires where on...I was having the oe 20" wheels powder coated. This meant that the tires and TPMS sensors needed to be removed. DT (discount tire) did the tire removal as well as removed the oe TPMS sensors and put them in a baggy. When the wheels were done...they just reinstalled the original TPMS and mounted the tires to the freshly powder coated wheels...went into iDrive and intiatlized the sensors.

Post back to this thread to give us an update either way it goes for you. If the sensors did or didn't need to be "awakened" prior to iDrive initialization. Again, I'm going to assume that since they are BMW branded sensors...that they are ready-to-go and will only need to be initalized in iDrive. :thumbup:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I'd post an UPDATE to this thread
I just installed the above pictured TMPS sensors to (2) new front tires & wheels & put them on the F15 last week. I then did the reset procedure via iDrive menu & the system DID recognized the 2 new ones. Just press the option & drive down the road until the reset is done. A closer look at the sensors shows that they are CONTINENTAL.
PM me if you're interested in the site I bought them from. I paid about $11 each
Hope this helps others.

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
Wow, another wrinkle to figure out. We'll be getting new tires soon on the "new" X5, and I'll have to make sure the shop transfers over the sensors. Thanks for the instructions Q - you're an authority in multiple model forums!

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Wow, another wrinkle to figure out. We'll be getting new tires soon on the "new" X5, and I'll have to make sure the shop transfers over the sensors. Thanks for the instructions Q - you're an authority in multiple model forums!
If you're moving TPM sensors over from an old wheel (to a new wheel) and its the same vehicle...then all you'll need to do is go into iDrive and do an "INIT" (initialization).

If you're getting new (non oe) TPM sensors...then you may need the tool to "awake" (aka program them to your vehicle)...then from there on out (or until the battery gives up the ghost) they should work after mounting them and driving a short distance...then you can go into iDrive and reinitialize them.

If you have old TPM sensors from a different BMW...you will want to do a part nbr search to see if they fall on the other side of a TPM sensor frequency change. BMW changed the sensors...but the date range for TPM sensors is listed in the part database. For instance, the TPM sensors in the e70 X5 won't work in the F15 X5 (the wheels are exchangeable...but the sensors aren't).

:thumbup:

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
Jeez, the complexity - we're just taking summer runflats off a 2016 X5 and putting Continental DWS 06s on. So that's just the iDrive scenario, correct?

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Jeez, the complexity - we're just taking summer runflats off a 2016 X5 and putting Continental DWS 06s on. So that's just the iDrive scenario, correct?
Yes.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ Edgy26....If you're just swapping tires & using current wheels & TMPS, just inflate to correct pressure & run the "RESET" in iDrive. No big deal, at least for me. And as posted above, if installing NEW BMW TMPS (from China), all I had to do was run the "RESET". No waking or anything else.
If you get aftermarket TMPS from someone like Discount Tire, they'll do the "wake" procedure for you and make sure they work correctly.
Hope this helps you.

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi,

Did you already have TPMS working on your BMW>

Did you just have the BMW standard ABS Flat Tyre Montor (FTM) system or already have TPMS?

I purchased the 4x TPMS from AliExpress (thanks for your assistance) which have been pre-programmed to a F26 X4 but as I only currently have the standard ABS FTM system, just wondering if all I have to do is have the sensors installed and do so coding to activate.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

@ Edgy26....If you're just swapping tires & using current wheels & TMPS, just inflate to correct pressure & run the "RESET" in iDrive. No big deal, at least for me. And as posted above, if installing NEW BMW TMPS (from China), all I had to do was run the "RESET". No waking or anything else.
If you get aftermarket TMPS from someone like Discount Tire, they'll do the "wake" procedure for you and make sure they work correctly.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I purchased the 4x TPMS from AliExpress (thanks for your assistance) which have been pre-programmed to a F26 X4 but as I only currently have the standard ABS FTM system, just wondering if all I have to do is have the sensors installed and do so coding to activate.

Cheerz :) :D ;)
If you have the FTM (RPA) indirect tire monitor system...you don't need TPM sensors inside your wheels. You don't need them because you don't have a control module that is going to pickup the RF (radio frequency) sent by the sensors.

The TPM (RDC) direct tire monitoring system has a RDC control module that receives the signal from the tire monitors then passes that data along that eventually ends up on the iDrive screen.

Your supposition is similar to implanting ovaries into a male and assuming that he'll be able to have his own kids. Yes, females have reproductive organs and so do males...but you can't just simply take one of the other's organs and implant them...then assume that it will take on the same characteristics. It will take a lot more than ovaries implanted into a male specimen to get it to bare offspring. :eeps:

The TPM system (RDC) is explained below:

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for explaining so clearly. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I was hoping it would be like the Speed Limit Information (SLI) in my 2016 BMW F26 X4 using Kafas2 cameras. It hadn't been activated by BMW Australia because they were having issues recognising Australia's many speed limit signs but the hardware was there, I only had to purchase the FSC SLI files and do a Kafas2 ECU firmware update and some coding using E-Sys and SLI was activated and functioning 100% correctly, no hardware had to be purchased or installed.

With TPMS active and working, does a RDC ECU show up as a seperate CU within E-Sys?

Cheerz :) : ;)

If you have the FTM (RPA) indirect tire monitor system...you don't need TPM sensors inside your wheels. You don't need them because you don't have a control module that is going to pickup the RF (radio frequency) sent by the sensors.

The TPM (RDC) direct tire monitoring system has a RDC control module that receives the signal from the tire monitors then passes that data along that eventually ends up on the iDrive screen.

Your supposition is similar to implanting ovaries into a male and assuming that he'll be able to have his own kids. Yes, females have reproductive organs and so do males...but you can't just simply take one of the other's organs and implant them...then assume that it will take on the same characteristics. It will take a lot more than ovaries implanted into a male specimen to get it to bare offspring. :eeps:

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
With TPMS active and working, does a RDC ECU show up as a seperate CU within E-Sys?

Cheerz :) : ;)
If you have the TPMS (RDC) "direct" tire monitoring system...then based on the information posted above from the TIS (and highlighted below)...the RDC control module can register a fault and that fault can be seen with diagnostic equipment when there is a malfunction of the system.

But if you have the FTM (RPA) "indirect" tire monitoring system...you won't have an RDC control module due to the system's use of the DSC control module and ABS/wheel sensors calculating tire rotation to determine underinflated tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I'd post an UPDATE to this thread
I just installed the above pictured TMPS sensors to (2) new front tires & wheels & put them on the F15 last week. I then did the reset procedure via iDrive menu & the system DID recognized the 2 new ones. Just press the option & drive down the road until the reset is done. A closer look at the sensors shows that they are CONTINENTAL.
PM me if you're interested in the site I bought them from. I paid about $11 each
Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have recently experienced a "TPMS Malfunction" message on my 2015 F15 X5 (USA), and have been searching for information on the RDC, as well as searching for it on the car without success. Resetting goes to 49%, and eventually indicates the malfunction. Does my SAV actually have an RDC near the rear? I have read on other forums at some point BMW moved it into the BDC - under the passenger footwell.
Any help appreciated, including the RDC part #, and location if someone has experienced! :) Thank you.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I have recently experienced a "TPMS Malfunction" message on my 2015 F15 X5 (USA), and have been searching for information on the RDC, as well as searching for it on the car without success. Resetting goes to 49%, and eventually indicates the malfunction. Does my SAV actually have an RDC near the rear? I have read on other forums at some point BMW moved it into the BDC - under the passenger footwell.
Any help appreciated, including the RDC part #, and location if someone has experienced! :) Thank you.
According to the TIS...the functions of the RDC control unit are integrated into the DSC control module...perhaps that's why it is difficult to find:

·
Registered
7 Posts
@QSilver7 , thank you for the reply. That was what i found after a bit of searching as well, - huge GULP, as that is a major $$$ part. Until someone sent me this video -
, which lead me to continue my search for another radio receiver in the car - specific to TPMS. The video seems incorrect that this specific module also controls the key fobs, but it "may" be the RDC / receiver for the BMW X5 F15 TPMS. I called a BMW parts department, and they found part #61358706502 as another "Radio Remote Control Receiver" located in the luggage area.

Any additional thoughts? I am going to do some sensor tests, and then perhaps try getting to the sensor, which is a BEAR to get to because of the disassembly of the luggage area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts