BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to give you a friendly advice. Try to have a few opinions and prices for your repair. Just recently we had a guy who needed a replacement of the whole power steering system on his BMW x5. Power steering pump, power steering lines, all hoses and a reservoir. He went to a shop and they quoted him around $2000 for the job. It only took us 2 hours to do the job and the price was nowhere close to what it was at the shop. The guy was very happy and his power steering is just fine now.

The real question is why the price at the shops was so ridiculous?:mad::mad::mad:

Please ask us any question, we will gladly give you more information about specifics of the job.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,391 Posts
What would necessitate such a wholesale replacement in the first place? I have been a car person for fifty years and never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that was exactly our question. We came over to a the guy's house to fix what he needed. And we simply believe that shops/dealearships often take advantage of their customers because of the lack of knowledge of the process.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Absolutely agree with Zeiten. Bought a Z3 with 43K miles 2 years ago. While driving the service engine light came on. Within 15 minutes I pulled into a shop servicing BMW's along with others. There were 2 lambos, a ferrari and a porsche in for service. I figured they could certainly fix my lowely Z. They immediately diagnosed the need for the replacement of the ccv valve at $600. I got a 2nd opinion at an indi BMW shop. They did a smoke test and it actually needed a disa valve which I had replaced. They in turn said I needed the ball joints replaced. I held off at the time. A new shop opened by my house and I had them check the ball joints which they said did not need replacing at all. They could have agreed, charged a little less and I would have had it done. Because of their honesty on my 1st visit I have been using them since. It is extremely hard to find someone honest nowdays in the serrvice industry. Home repair, car repair etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing your story, z3jeff. That's the biggest problem with all those shops and dealerships. Honesty is just something that they're not even familiar with.. It's sad. You have to trust a mechanic in a local shop or a dealership with your car, simply because you are in a position of a need and for the most part the issues with the car is not something you can fix yourself. So shops easily take advantage of that and making you waste all the money you have worked so hard for. I'm glad you came across of that new shop by your house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes, you are right about that, rmn. It's just BMW shops tend to have much higher prices on average!

·
Constantly Learning
2,029 Posts
Best advice - be an educated customer. There is so much info out there, example this forum. Even if you dont DIY, you'll understand the job being quoted to you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to give you a friendly advice. Try to have a few opinions and prices for your repair. Just recently we had a guy who needed a replacement of the whole power steering system on his BMW x5. Power steering pump, power steering lines, all hoses and a reservoir. He went to a shop and they quoted him around $2000 for the job. It only took us 2 hours to do the job and the price was nowhere close to what it was at the shop. The guy was very happy and his power steering is just fine now.

The real question is why the price at the shops was so ridiculous?:mad::mad::mad:

Please ask us any question, we will gladly give you more information about specifics of the job.
Why they charge soon much??? Using Chapman BMW of Chandler as an example, the new dealership, according to a few sources, cost 38 million to build (it is simply amazingly beautiful)...throw in probably 120 employees, pay them all benefits...you see where this is going...they charge those prices because it is what is needed for them to survive...and dealers really don't make much on new car sales these days...that does not leave many revenue streams in which to pay those 120 employees and the mortgage on the 38,000,000 building....

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,391 Posts
Why they charge soon much??? Using Chapman BMW of Chandler as an example, the new dealership, according to a few sources, cost 38 million to build (it is simply amazingly beautiful)...throw in probably 120 employees, pay them all benefits...you see where this is going...they charge those prices because it is what is needed for them to survive...and dealers really don't make much on new car sales these days...that does not leave many revenue streams in which to pay those 120 employees and the mortgage on the 38,000,000 building....
+1. 120 employees?!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree with rmn. This is not unique to just BMW. This is true with any car dealership or anywhere that does repairs of cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 bmw x5 4.4 v8

I would like to know about my front driveshaft gueibo coming apart.this is what the dealer is saying.Is their a recall on mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't remember any recalls, but it's normal for the part to fail after 15 years of use..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts