Bimmerfest BMW banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 576 Posts

·
VIN WBA3K5C56FK300521
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can do everything right as an owner and inadvertently catch a bad tank of fuel and incur a $10K engine fix. THIS IS NOT A WARRANTABLE ITEM. And once you go out of pocket $10K to get your car back on the road, the risk remains and will be yours to bear if it happens again. The risk remains as long as you own the car.

I wish I hadn't been so ignorant when I bought mine. Think long and hard about the purchase and understand the risk you take on. BMW NA will never accept responsibility for this. You will not know when you get bad diesel until its too late and, contrary to other opinions and posts, it's NOT limited to off-brand stations. The fuel that allegedly ruined my engine was from Shell.

I hope this factual commentary educates anyone who is on the fence as to whether to buy a BMW diesel car. It's also important to consider resale value as this engine ruination risk is a known flaw in these engines.

If the moderator doesn't remove this post then it can be considered a good public service announcement from a victim of the above mentioned issue.

·
Captain Crunch
164 Posts
Bad tank of diesel ruined your engine? Thats on the fuel station, not you. If you have the receipt, you need to call the fuel station, tell them what happened and ask for their insurance information and file a claim.

To be fair, this isn't just a diesel problem. Anyone can receive a bad tank of fuel, gasoline or diesel, and cause lots of issues. Its up to the fuel station to check the quality of their fuel and to pay for the damages caused by the bad tank.

That said, there are other issues with the diesels in the US that people should take into consideration when buying: injectors and urea tank (I'm about to have my 4th urea tank installed on my e90 335d) fail a lot and can be costly outside of warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you know of any other owners who have experienced this? It sounds like it could just be an isolated incidence. If it's the case of bad fuel, it can happen to anyone with any car manufacturer, not limited to just BMW.

Similarly, those who use gasoline can experience problems too if they leave their cars sitting around for long periods of time. Ethanol attracts water and we all know that's bad for engines too.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,162 Posts
You can do everything right as an owner and inadvertently catch a bad tank of fuel and incur a $10K engine fix. THIS IS NOT A WARRANTABLE ITEM. And once you go out of pocket $10K to get your car back on the road, the risk remains and will be yours to bear if it happens again. The risk remains as long as you own the car.

I wish I hadn't been so ignorant when I bought mine. Think long and hard about the purchase and understand the risk you take on. BMW NA will never accept responsibility for this. You will not know when you get bad diesel until its too late and, contrary to other opinions and posts, it's NOT limited to off-brand stations. The fuel that allegedly ruined my engine was from Shell.

I hope this factual commentary educates anyone who is on the fence as to whether to buy a BMW diesel car. It's also important to consider resale value as this engine ruination risk is a known flaw in these engines.

If the moderator doesn't remove this post then it can be considered a good public service announcement from a victim of the above mentioned issue.
1) whats a 428D wagon?

2) if you got a bad tank of fuel, the station that sold the fuel is liable, simply go back. they all carry insurance for that. they will be responsible for all repair costs

3) or are you saying you accidentally filled up with gasoline instead of diesel

your factual commentary is lacking in, well, facts. aside from your statements that a tank of fuel ruined your car and bmw wont fix it under warranty. they shouldnt. the service station that sold the fuel should be footing the bill.

·
Registered
420 Posts
1) whats a 428D wagon?

2) if you got a bad tank of fuel, the station that sold the fuel is liable, simply go back. they all carry insurance for that. they will be responsible for all repair costs

3) or are you saying you accidentally filled up with gasoline instead of diesel

your factual commentary is lacking in, well, facts. aside from your statements that a tank of fuel ruined your car and bmw wont fix it under warranty. they shouldnt. the service station that sold the fuel should be footing the bill.
Fuel standards and quality are pretty stringent, it's regulated and not like it's all over the place. If the gas station accidentally put diesel in their gasoline tanks, then they are liable. If their service attendant (oregon?) put gas in your car without asking, they are liable. If their fuel was so screwed up for some crazy reason (tanks falling apart, ground-water seeping in, etc?), they would be liable. If you paid with a CC or debit, you can go back, find the exact transaction, and have your CC company get a receipt, in addition to the record of the transaction the CC/bank already has. Then you can take them to court for the costs incurred. Get a letter signed by your BMW service manager that states the cause of the engine failure was the bad fuel. Sue the station for the costs incurred and everything that was affected.

End of thread.

·
VIN WBA3K5C56FK300521
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel standards and quality are pretty stringent, it's regulated and not like it's all over the place. If the gas station accidentally put diesel in their gasoline tanks, then they are liable. If their service attendant (oregon?) put gas in your car without asking, they are liable. If their fuel was so screwed up for some crazy reason (tanks falling apart, ground-water seeping in, etc?), they would be liable. If you paid with a CC or debit, you can go back, find the exact transaction, and have your CC company get a receipt, in addition to the record of the transaction the CC/bank already has. Then you can take them to court for the costs incurred. Get a letter signed by your BMW service manager that states the cause of the engine failure was the bad fuel. Sue the station for the costs incurred and everything that was affected.

End of thread.
...or not...

I'm aware of all that is written above and I realize it is my responsibility to chase down the fuel provider. But there is also a factual error above. No gasoline introduced into a gasoline car will cause a $10K repair requirement. It's simply not possible. Secondly, BMW does not warn purchasers of this risk when they take your check at the dealer. No gasoline was put into the car but we're told it is in there somehow. And hence my situation. I guess i need to believe them. Is it known to all others at time of purchase that this is a real risk? I doubt it.

The diesel came from a Shell station and hence a name brand provider. We do have the receipts and will try to vector back to the point of purchase among several potential options. Incidentally, no engine warning light or any other sensor warning of any kind alerted us to this.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

Your factual commentary is really light on facts. I do hope it works out for you and I understand you're upset, but it's a little early in your story to be blaming the engine. Once you've "vectored" back to the gas station and talked to their insurance company, let us know how it worked out.

There was another thread here from a guy who got water in his engine from bad gas, and the gas station took care of all the costs for a replacement engine. If it truly was the diesel fuel and BMW is 100% sure with evidence, then the gas station's insurance should make you whole.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Several comments:
Bad gas can cost you a bundle but it isn't limited to diesel. Many years ago I drove from Dallas to NYC and caught bad gas in Texarkana, TX. OMG what a ride! Backfires, misfires, the engine cutting out suddenly on the interstate. Had to replace the spark plugs in Memphis. Muffler blew out from a backfire in Virginia. What a horror.

Since then I NEVER let the tank get any less than half full.

If I start to pump gas and the pump shuts off right away, I may try again, but after two times I pay for what I pumped and go to another station.

Perhaps legally the gas station is liable, but try proving it. Sure, if they put diesel in the gasoline holding tanks you, and probably a lot of other people, have an easy case. But if the storage tanks are almost empty, and ground water has leaked into the tanks...try proving that.

If it were only you, you'd have to prove it was that particular station, and/or find other people having the same problem from that station. This would be a bigger legal mess.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
...or not...

I'm aware of all that is written above and I realize it is my responsibility to chase down the fuel provider. But there is also a factual error above. No gasoline introduced into a gasoline car will cause a $10K repair requirement. It's simply not possible. Secondly, BMW does not warn purchasers of this risk when they take your check at the dealer. No gasoline was put into the car but we're told it is in there somehow. And hence my situation. I guess i need to believe them. Is it known to all others at time of purchase that this is a real risk? I doubt it.

The diesel came from a Shell station and hence a name brand provider. We do have the receipts and will try to vector back to the point of purchase among several potential options. Incidentally, no engine warning light or any other sensor warning of any kind alerted us to this.
I am the forum moderator and appreciate you starting this thread. However, can you please explain in more detail how the bad gas caused the expensive repair? It's not fair to BMW unless we have more information on your issue. It's always difficult to judge this kind of post as we only see one side of the story.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,162 Posts
...or not...

from what it sounds like, your car was filled up with gasoline at the shell station.

there is a warning in the owners manual

Do not use
gasoline. If you do fill the tank with the wrong
fuel, e.g., gasoline, do not start the engine as
this may damage the engine.***9664;
After adding the wrong fuel, contact your serv***8208;
ice center or Roadside Assistance

guess what, if you fill any car with the wrong fuel, or bad fuel, be it the attendant or mixed up tanks, you will end up with expensive damage. bad gasoline can result in full engine replacement, depending on what the contaminant was.

its on the station and their insurance to fix this.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
...or not...

Get back to us after you've "vectored back" and found that the Shell station who has thousands of customers a day had zero other customers who mysteriously filled their diesel vehicle with gasoline.

While this does happen it is incredibly rare and the odds are 1000X more likely that a human error in selecting the fuel was made.

You've posted a highly inflammatory post and you've also provided dubious information about the vehicle in question (428D wagon? What???).

People here will take your commentary trying to tar/feather BMW with not only a grain of salt but with an entire shaker full.

P.S. Would also love to see your $10,000 breakdown for repairs related to this event. Even an entire new engine and fuel system should not cost $10,000 installed.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
P.S. Would also love to see your $10,000 breakdown for repairs related to this event. Even an entire new engine and fuel system should not cost $10,000 installed.
A M57 engine for a 335d is over $12K for a new/reman short block (includes head; don't know why they term it "short".) Realoem doesn't show cost for a short block for N47... A diesel injector is almost $500 each...

And as I mentioned in my reply to the OP's thread in F30post/diesel; you should be going after the station & supplier, not BMW.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Engines are over $20k installed.it only takes one detonation to destroy the crank/engine. Warning lights are not that fast. It's also a warning on the filler caps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've heard of this happening a few times, over many years, across different brands. As I seem to remember the fault sometimes is with the owner and sometimes with the station. My wife and I just finished a 19.5k trip though 36 states over a six month period. No issues with any of our diesel purchases and we averaged 44.3 miles to the gallon.

There's always a possibility of something bad happening in life, but the thing to watch is the probabilities of said event occurring!

Leon McKee

·
Registered
312 Posts
...or not...

No gasoline was put into the car but we're told it is in there somehow. And hence my situation. I guess i need to believe them. Is it known to all others at time of purchase that this is a real risk? I doubt it.

You are saying that "somehow" gas got into the car. Stop blaming the engine and BMW and find out how gas got into your diesel powered car.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The only diesel car we owned was a 1979 Mercedes 300D. Back then, the gas pump filler nozzle would not fit into the diesel fuel filler on the car. Is that the same as it is today? If so, you can't make a mistake. But, a diesel filler nozzle will fit into a gas fuel filler if I'm remembering correctly?

·
Registered
420 Posts
And if its after one tank, it should be a matter of seeing where you filled up before the repair, in your bank records. Get a signed statement from BMW attesting to this being the cause.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Back in the 80s, living in Russia, when I was about 13 years old, my Dad would let me fool around with his old Lada, yes I drove it around on my own at 13.
I once poured what I thought was gasoline into the gas tank from a canister my Dad had in the garage. There was strange engine noise and knocking for a while.
It went away eventually. When my Dad got home from the business trip he asked me what happened to half a canister of diesel he had sitting in the garage.
Those cars could take some abuse

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
The only diesel car we owned was a 1979 Mercedes 300D. Back then, the gas pump filler nozzle would not fit into the diesel fuel filler on the car. Is that the same as it is today? If so, you can't make a mistake. But, a diesel filler nozzle will fit into a gas fuel filler if I'm remembering correctly?
There are two diesel nozzles: the older big ones that are too big for unleaded gasoline cars. And the other one is a bit smaller, and engages the miss-fueling protection device in the BMW fillers. (There are the other way big ones at most truck stops for fast fueling of 50 gallon tanks.)

BMW gives diesel owners a funnel that engages the miss-fueling device, but you can put the larger/old-style diesel nozzle in the other end.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,054 Posts

Why would BMW, or any mfg, ever be responsible for bad gas/diesel in your car? Go after Shell, or the distributor, or the station owner. Call your insurance company. Why would you even waste your time trying to get anything out of BMW. I don't get the point here. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 576 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.