BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm a little embarrassed to share this but I knew I was running close to needing tires. However I run the Continental extreme contact DWS and I could still read the DWS on the tire so I thought I was still good. Mind u I hardly inspect my tires but after today I will begin. When I looked at them they were half turned out not all the way so I really couldn't see the inner tire. Big mistake

Another fault on my own is I never once rotated these tires so the wear pattern is my fault. However I never realized how much my wheels must dip inward and ride on the inner area of the tire till today which proves why we rotate! Again my fault. I did however get three years out of these with 60,000 miles on them so I'm happy.

I started to notice a vibration in my front end. I knew the tires were low on tread so I knew I had to replace them. When the shop pulled the wheels they looked at me and said "bro you don't realize how low these were" and had me look at them. I thought one of them broke a belt causing the vibration. Turns out....it was much worse... They were amazed the one tire didn't blow or leak badly! Kinda impressed with continental holding up like they did. Again no excuse but I was shocked...

The tech said dude u need an alignment and I said no it drives perfectly straight I just think they dip inwards and I never rotated them. He then said yes that makes sense.

Whew' I'm thankful I didn't hurt anyone nor myself. But what a novice move on my part. Ouch

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1475100543.384319.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1475100798.047134.jpg

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
For me the inner side of the rear tires wear the same way as yours due to the BMW setup. But for the front I always wear out the outer edge since I love making turns fast.

Looking at your tire, I suspect it's more than just the regular BMW setup. Could be some worn suspension parts. Were your tires under inflated? Remember pressure specification always says cold tire. If you inflate it on the highway when the tire is warm, it will be under spec later.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It has nothing to do with tire rotation, It has everything to do with the camber being too negative either due to misalignment or worn suspension parts.

My experience with the E92 is that the adjustment on all wheels does not hold well and needs realignment - or new tires - regularly. Take your pick. Or rotate your tires and they will all wear out sooner instead of just a pair.

Al

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,429 Posts
BMW tires are not "set-up".

BMW alignment specs are so wide as to be in spec for a track-dude to a driftin-kiddie to a cheapass old grandpa like me.

You must tell the mechanic what numbers you want. YOU must know why you want those numbers.

Mine is set to minimum toe-in with no possibility of toe-out and mid-range balanced L&R camber for tire longevity.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,429 Posts
Thanks I usually run 35 lbs up front and that's at cold sitting.
Your proper numbers are probably on the driver's door post, certainly in your owners manual.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The standard BMW values for alignment normally do result in the inner shoulder wearing faster than the outer shoulder! My 2011 328i was purchased in 12/2013 as a CPO with 31k miles. I had my dealer tell me that the rear tires needed replacement at about 48K. It had worn to the wear bars on the inner shoulder of the rear tire particularly on the driver side; the passenger side rear was not as worn. And my car has always been kept in alignment, with checks every 6-9 months.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I never once rotated these tires
What year is your 335xi? I have an '09 and the manual does not mention rotating tires.

I have P225/45R17 run-flat all-season Michelin. Just had a low pressure warning on a cold morning a week or so ago, and the dealer's service tech put 40 lbs in them since it's fall.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car is an 07

And thanks all for the info!

I don't track this car as its my daily driver so I baby it mostly. All 4 tires wore exactly the same. The fronts harder than the rear as I suspect due to steering and push.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also just to be clear. I'm not complaining or such about the pitch in of the wheels. I can hardly notice it if you look at the car. Not like those ricers you see that put their rear wheels on a slant lol

I'm actually glad I got 3 years out of the tires at about 60,000 miles. To me that's impressive for an awd car in my book and I live in PA which our roads SUCK!!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm actually glad I got 3 years out of the tires at about 60,000 miles. To me that's impressive for an awd car in my book and I live in PA which our roads SUCK!!!!
You got 3 years out of Conti's? Wow! My E39 had new Conti's on it when I got it in '05 and they were noisy and lasted barely 15K. And I am not an aggressive driver. Must have been the particular spec tire. Been a Michelin fan ever since and was overjoyed to see my new '09 has 'em.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I re checked and yes I did get 3 years but my mileage was more around 50,000 after the math. I put a lot of miles for work. Sorry about that

·
Registered
57 Posts
The term that I remember is you can't get something for nothing. Aggressive camber and toe equal great handling back those off and you sacrifice the handling but greatly improve tire wear. Then if you have the offset wheel package their is no rotating.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Of course camber affects handling. But there are extremes. Steel belts popping through the inner shoulder while the outer tread still has 10000 miles left on it is NOT normal. In my case, I could just look at the back wheels from the rear of the car and tell the camber was WAY negative after the first time that happened to me.

Al

1 - 15 of 15 Posts