BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready for my first anniversary service visit. I've already picked up the pointer about leaving a note to NOT wash the car. My question is this: I am religous about wiping down the engine bay every time I wash the car, so at this point it still looks nearly pristine. When a tech opens the hood to change the oil, and sees a clean engine bay do they treat the car better?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I know my independent mechanic really likes it when customers come in with a pristine engine bay. He's anal about keeping his cars clean and appreciate a customer who does as well. At the dealership? Not so much.

As one who likes to tinker on other's car, in addition to my own, I certainly appreciate a clean engine bay as well when I work on cars. It just means I won't have to clean myself as much when I am done working.

I know mechanics appreciate a nice box of donuts in the trunk a lot more than a clean engine bay though.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know my independent mechanic really likes it when customers come in with a pristine engine bay. He's anal about keeping his cars clean and appreciate a customer who does as well. At the dealership? Not so much.

As one who likes to tinker on other's car, in addition to my own, I certainly appreciate a clean engine bay as well when I work on cars. It just means I won't have to clean myself as much when I am done working.

I know mechanics appreciate a nice box of donuts in the trunk a lot more than a clean engine bay though.
As long as they promise to not eat the donuts while sitting in the car, I might think seriously about this incentive.

I would think most mechanics would prefer to work on a clean car.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
A clean engine bay and interior says to a tech that the customer has pride of ownership and is probably meticulous about driving and maintaining the car as well. This is never a bad thing. At my shop techs almost always comment on a well maintained car.
It is just human nature for a tech to want to perform to a higher standard when he gets to work on something which is appreciated. (S)he is going to get paid anyway, but when the tech feels that their handiwork or expertise will be noticed it is human nature to try harder. Not saying a tech won't bust their butt on a grime covered, totally neglected engine compartment. What is your gut feel though?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
As long as they promise to not eat the donuts while sitting in the car, I might think seriously about this incentive.

I would think most mechanics would prefer to work on a clean car.
Again, the few that I am friendly with do prefer to work on a clean car. But those two guys are freaks when it comes to keeping their shop and their cars clean. I for one would like to see a clean car rather than one caked with mud to be honest.

I once made the mistake of leaving a case of Heineken in the trunk for my mechanics. Let's just say the work was sloppier than usual. I've since switched to donuts, especially for work that requires I leave the car overnight. Cream-puffs and eclairs for stuff like valve adjustment.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
THAT explains why at the dealership the first thing they do is pop the trunk! They want to know if pastries are present and if they are, the guy checking you in wants one before the techs get their hands on them.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THAT explains why at the dealership the first thing they do is pop the trunk! They want to know if pastries are present and if they are, the guy checking you in wants one before the techs get their hands on them.
I was wondering how to make sure they checked the trunk! Do I need to put a thank you note on the box so they understand it's for them? :dunno:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had my 1 year service on June 16th and made sure I told them not to wash my car!!!

I also reminded them by putting a sign on my dashboard!

Clean engine bay....

I am anal OCD like may people on here so my engine in spotless however when I got home from picking my car after 1year service I popped the hood and lo and behold they did a **** job at cleaning up the little puddle of oil they spilled when they were putting oil in the engine.

I wanted to call them up an complain but i did not waste my time !

sooooo.......

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
I am getting ready for my first anniversary service visit. I've already picked up the pointer about leaving a note to NOT wash the car. My question is this: I am religous about wiping down the engine bay every time I wash the car, so at this point it still looks nearly pristine. When a tech opens the hood to change the oil, and sees a clean engine bay do they treat the car better?
YES, absolutely! I'm often complimented on the extremely clean bay, I think it shows the ultimate care the owner takes and that the same care should be carried forth during a visit.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I hear Engine Bay is beautiful this time of year. Have to renew my passport and check it out.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The short answer is yes, but with some caveats.

A technician who is an automotive enthusiast will normally treat a car better if it is obviously owned by an enthusiast. You car will stand in stark contrast to the many unloved cars with dirty engines, drink cans and food wrappers on the floor, and an exterior that was washed last January. If you were to look at an enthusiast technician's engine on his (her) personal car, you could serve lunch off the valve cover.

Some technicians, however, are not automotive enthusiasts. It is just a job. You hope they will respect your pristine car. Maybe they will; maybe they won't.

Explain to your Service Advisor that you care about your car a lot, and ask if they can assign it to a tech who is very careful and takes pride in his (her) work.

:drive:

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The short answer is yes, but with some caveats.

A technician who is an automotive enthusiast will normally treat a car better if it is obviously owned by an enthusiast. You car will stand in stark contrast to the many unloved cars with dirty engines, drink cans and food wrappers on the floor, and an exterior that was washed last January. If you were to look at an enthusiast technician's engine on his (her) personal car, you could serve lunch off the valve cover.

Some technicians, however, are not automotive enthusiasts. It is just a job. You hope they will respect your pristine car. Maybe they will; maybe they won't.

Explain to your Service Advisor that you care about your car a lot, and ask if they can assign it to a tech who is very careful and takes pride in his (her) work.

Excellent advice.

So this begs a question. When setting up the appointment is it better to contact the SA directly or go though the e-portal? Seems to me like the web interface/ service appointment hotline is designed for the busy individual who views their car as little more than an appliance.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Excellent advice.

So this begs a question. When setting up the appointment is it better to contact the SA directly or go though the e-portal? Seems to me like the web interface/ service appointment hotline is designed for the busy individual who views their car as little more than an appliance.
Sorry, no e-portal for me. It gives pot-luck on the Service Advisor and everything else. It is perfect if your car is treated as a transportation appliance. Convenience has a price.

I always contact the Service Advisor (SA) personally by phone. I always use the same SA. If he is not available, I leave a voice mail, and he calls back. The SA knows my preferences, and always makes sure my car is assigned to a technician who is careful and is an automotive enthusiast. I try to shower the service department with kindness.

Remember that an SA is paid on commission, so your happiness should be his/her first concern. If you do not get service as you would like it, try another SA.

IMO, your relationship with your SA is more important than your relationship with your new car Client Advisor (salesman).

OK, I am getting off my soapbox now.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
I always contact the Service Advisor (SA) personally by phone. I always use the same SA. If he is not available, I leave a voice mail, and he calls back. The SA knows my preferences, and always makes sure my car is assigned to a technician who is careful and is an automotive enthusiast. I try to shower the service department with kindness.

Remember that an SA is paid on commission, so your happiness should be his/her first concern. If you do not get service as you would like it, try another SA.

IMO, your relationship with your SA is more important than your relationship with your new car Client Advisor (salesman).

OK, I am getting off my soapbox now.

+1, it's good to get to know them by name/face as well as the techs, it makes a big difference in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.