BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to pick up a 1996 328is this friday, the car runs and drive but needs some work, it needs a drivers side window motor, a battery, an alternator, a valve cover gasket, a new headliner, rear tires, a replacement grille piece(original was supposedly stolen) , and an A/Crecharge (and obviously a going over of the A/C system to find the leak).. but im getting the car for $1200 (he wanted $2000 and i talked him to $1500, then the alternator went so im getting it for $1200 since i have to replace the alternator which is going to cost me $300) the car has 174k on it, the seats are a little ripped up and the paint had some spider webbing and some nice chips in the front of the car around the grille area, and minimal to no rust/rot..

is it worth it? i was told by another BMW owner that its definitely worth it but i just wanted to know what you guys thought

p.s. the car is also lowered on i think he said HKS coilovers with an M3 exhaust.. and im pretty sure i saw red/clear taillights and clear corner/side marker lights

here's a pic of the car

i worked out my budget, also, what do you's think??

i have $1900 to spend on the car,
$1200-car
$200-alternator
$120-drivers side window motor
$50-used tires to hold me over til i pick out a nice full set
$120-tint for the rear 3 window
$0-headliner (i have a friend who runs an upholstery shop who just happens to owe me money haha)
$20-valve cover gasket
$85-HID headlights with european ballasts
$35-new grille inserts
and ill have $70 left over!

some things may seem to be missing from the budget but if i left them out i already have the parts or i can get them for free

·
Registered
481 Posts
Personally it seems like it's in pretty bad shape. I would hold out. there'll be another one. But then again I don't know what the market is like over there on the east coast so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'd say wait. You may have an estimated $70 left over now, but I'm willing to bet you're gonna find more problems (mechanical or cosmetic) only after you've already purchased it (as happens to many after buying a used car). If you had say maybe an extra $500 for any problems that could potentially pop up, then I'd probably consider it.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Pass.

·
Registered
482 Posts
im going to pick up a 1996 328is this friday, the car runs and drive but needs some work, it needs a drivers side window motor, a battery, an alternator, a valve cover gasket, a new headliner, rear tires, a replacement grille piece(original was supposedly stolen) , and an A/Crecharge (and obviously a going over of the A/C system to find the leak).. but im getting the car for $1200 (he wanted $2000 and i talked him to $1500, then the alternator went so im getting it for $1200 since i have to replace the alternator which is going to cost me $300) the car has 174k on it, the seats are a little ripped up and the paint had some spider webbing and some nice chips in the front of the car around the grille area, and minimal to no rust/rot..

is it worth it? i was told by another BMW owner that its definitely worth it but i just wanted to know what you guys thought

p.s. the car is also lowered on i think he said HKS coilovers with an M3 exhaust.. and im pretty sure i saw red/clear taillights and clear corner/side marker lights

here's a pic of the car

i worked out my budget, also, what do you's think??

i have $1900 to spend on the car,
$1200-car
$200-alternator
$120-drivers side window motor
$50-used tires to hold me over til i pick out a nice full set
$120-tint for the rear 3 window
$0-headliner (i have a friend who runs an upholstery shop who just happens to owe me money haha)
$20-valve cover gasket
$85-HID headlights with european ballasts
$35-new grille inserts
and ill have $70 left over!

some things may seem to be missing from the budget but if i left them out i already have the parts or i can get them for free
Kill doing the tint and HIDS (HIDS need new euro headlights to work) This frees up 200 and you will now have some money to fix the cooling system when you find out its shot. All of these dam things have bad cooling systems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks allot guys! yeah, the market for these things over here is most of them are goin for no less then $4k, even with blown motors, the guy i brought with me to check it out the other day is a BMW enthusiast, who runs his own shop working on BMWs in the city, he says its a good deal but 100% of the people who answered my post cant be wrong, as far as the tint and HID goes, thats just a list of things i was considering but most likely, if i did end up buying the car wouldnt get done til later on like this spring or maybe even mid summer.. also, no one mentioned it but i do realize $50 for tires seems kind of cheap but its only that cheap because my uncle runs a shop and can get me some lightly used low mileage high quality tires from a buddy of his or some of his customers, kinda like one of those instances where someone got a flat tire and brought it to his shop and had the whole set of tires replaced because of one hole, so the other 3 are still good, ya know??? the guy who went with me to check out the car on tuesday is saying that he wouldnt pass it up if he were the one buying the car because over here i could buy it for $1200 and have it sold again for $3000 within a month just by fixing the little things i described were wrong with it, also, the $70 left over would just be my budget for the car, once i DO have a new car i can finally part out my totaled VW golf and a little extra cash, but thanks again for the insight guys! im definately going to keep shopping for now tho!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some people like project cars, and they're pretty good at fixing them up for a decent driver or for a profit. I say if you like that kind of project go for it, but the price? Forget for a minute that it's a BMW, and maybe realize that it's a tired car that needs a lot of help being sold at the worst possible time (for the seller)......dirty snow on the ground, money's tighter than a termite's butt, and buyers for a car like that are few and far between. I'd say pass or renegotiate even further. Maybe even post a wanted ad in the local auto trader (the print version-the perfect car for you might be in some old schooler's garage taking up space). Good luck.

Larry

·
<-NIKi
1,875 Posts
I sold my 96 328is a year ago for a bit more than that. It had $1500 in body damage from a girl in a lifted jeep not seeing me. Also the rear suspension and AC was shot... Not to mention it had 300k miles on it...

Call me crazy, but I think it's a good deal??

·
Synth Oil & Vodka.
970 Posts
Pass, Pass, Pass. That is probably 40% of the problem ONLY. THis is what you are being TOLD about, no dude.

·
Synth Oil & Vodka.
970 Posts
Or that. And maybe you dispose of the tons of time it would take to get this thing in proper order, in which case, it could be a good deal. Definitely for 1500 or so, your going to be hard pressed to find ANY car that is decent. It looks fairly ok, with a few months and a little bit more than what you've got to spend (which you can surely come up with if you are employed)...than just maybe.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
would love to, but i only have the $1900 to spend on a car..
Then you're looking about 10 years too new. Go look at E30's bro. Any E36 you find for 1900 will be an utter POS.

There's a general rule with BMWs: All BMWs of similar age, mileage, and models will cost the same for the owner. He can either pay it all at front and buy a well maintained one, or pay 1/2 the cost to buy the car, and spend what the car is worth in maintenance as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
girl in a lifted jeep
:thumbup:

i say GO FOR IT! seems cheap if its dropped on coilovers :dunno:

with that said everything u listed i have gotten EXTREMELY CHEAP, use junk yard parts until u can afford new ones! :thumbup: i can get u a better deal on that alternator FOR SURE!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Then you're looking about 10 years too new. Go look at E30's bro. Any E36 you find for 1900 will be an utter POS.

There's a general rule with BMWs: All BMWs of similar age, mileage, and models will cost the same for the owner. He can either pay it all at front and buy a well maintained one, or pay 1/2 the cost to buy the car, and spend what the car is worth in maintenance as well.
or u could by one cheap, shop around, do all your own work, and have a CHEAP bmw :thumbup:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
or u could by one cheap, shop around, do all your own work, and have a CHEAP bmw :thumbup:
I would never advocate paying to have the work done for someone who's capable of doing their own service. Even without labor costs, returning a car to health that's been neglected is a bitch of a job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts