BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big issue but something I was curious about. I have a decent crack in the varnish on my tilting wood CD cover (it came that way when I bought it) and have noticed several other people posting of the same problem. I have not seen this issue on any other wood trim part. This seems like a very weird problem and I was just wondering if this is a problem that is common to other e39s? Also wondering how does a part like this crack when it does not undergo any stress or loading?

BTW, if anyone has an uncracked Vavona wood CD cover they are looking to sell, PM me. The dealers charge over $80 and I'd rather tilt the door up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, I do too :thumbdwn:

I also have a crack in the center console near the shifter. They both really bother me but not enough to spend $200.00 to replace all that trim.

I was just reading over some of the "painted trim" posts and started to wonder if there is any way of repairing the cracks and then giving the trim a nice paint job (which I've been wanting to do anyway). I think some filler, good even sanding, then a few coats of primer might do the trick. Any other suggestions on a good method for filling the cracks?

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Yes, I do too
Me too. I never even use the Business CD and the cover cracks on its own!

I even had the original BMW Business CD cover replaced, under warranty, due to a long vertical crack. The dealership didn't argue with me so I assume they know something we don't know.

Guess what. The NEW CD cover is already cracked (see this picture taken for the DICE thread).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're not talking hairline cracks here. My crack is fairly significant, like someone tried to break the cover in two. Yet there is no bend in the cover. It just baffles me that something can catastrophically break like that when no load applied. :dunno:

Depending on the severity of your crack, I don't think it is repairable for painting as the crack could grow. Mine actually has a slight gap in the varnish/plastic veneer.

·
SPIRIT-FILLED DRIVER!
499 Posts
I was thinking of removing and installing a nav (from a newer year) since i have a tape player:cry::rofl:. That is one option, or maybe (if you're a diy buff) sand down the clear coat and reapply :dunno:.

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Me too. I never even use the Business CD and the cover cracks on its own!

I even had the original BMW Business CD cover replaced, under warranty, due to a long vertical crack. The dealership didn't argue with me so I assume they know something we don't know.

Guess what. The NEW CD cover is already cracked (see this picture taken for the DICE thread).

Hey Blue. I've been wanting to do an iPod hookup to my '98 528i. Did you do yours yourself or did you take it somewhere? if you had it professionally done, how much did it cost?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, I have a crack on the CD flip door as well as two cracks near the shifter. It boggles my mind to think about how such an expensive piece of trim like the one around the shifter can be damaged so easily. At least make a $20-30 replacement piece of varnished wood that you can pop out and replace!

Don't get me started on the durability of interior BMW parts...

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Not a big issue but something I was curious about. I have a decent crack in the varnish on my tilting wood CD cover (it came that way when I bought it) and have noticed several other people posting of the same problem. I have not seen this issue on any other wood trim part. This seems like a very weird problem and I was just wondering if this is a problem that is common to other e39s? Also wondering how does a part like this crack when it does not undergo any stress or loading?

BTW, if anyone has an uncracked Vavona wood CD cover they are looking to sell, PM me. The dealers charge over $80 and I'd rather tilt the door up.
I know EXACTLY why these cracks appear with no apparent cause......

Only few people know this but I will share it with all who wish to know.

When BMW started building the E39 body 5 series, they did such a superb job mechanically that the engine combined with the aerodynamics of the body cause an unforeseen side effect.

As you go faster, the vehicle manages to make a slight tear through the space / time continuum and as a result, the vehicle and it's occupants momentarily cross into a parallel universe and back into our own...

While the occupants don't feel the difference, the travel between the two universes causes the vehicle to temporarily shift its shape on a molecular level before returning to it's original form, causing the "mystery" cracks.

If THAT DOESN'T EXPLAIN IT......I don't know WHAT will!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
25,199 Posts

·
25,199 Posts

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
I removed my cracked center console to fix the crack and found this:
You have a Flux Capacitor too!!!?! First Doc Brown jacks my design and puts it in a crappy DeLorean, then my own BROTHER steals my spare uinit...

He must have sold it to BMW and they replicated it and installed it nto all their cars!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
We're not talking hairline cracks here. My crack is fairly significant, like someone tried to break the cover in two. Yet there is no bend in the cover. It just baffles me that something can catastrophically break like that when no load applied. :dunno:

Depending on the severity of your crack, I don't think it is repairable for painting as the crack could grow. Mine actually has a slight gap in the varnish/plastic veneer.
Ive never heard of it being that bad, do you have any pictures of it?

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Well... OK, I exagerated a bit. But it is not a hairline crack. It looks like someone deliberately tried to break it.
That looks like it was scraped....like something is sticking out above the door inside your dash, and it rubbed the wood finish every time you opened / closed it. Check and see if perhaps a broken piece of plastic on the inside of your dash above the door may have caused this? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.