BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first BMW Z4 and was told that you HAVE to use Premium gas in it and cannot use Regular. Is this true?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
:) I drove my 535i home from the dealer and sat in the car while in the garage reading and setting everything. I then took a 2 hour drive and came back and read some more.

dj

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Do you HAVE to drive a BMW? Why not just drive a Kia instead?

Fill it with premium, keep receipts. Usually the premium gas has less ethanol (at least at some chains) and you can dangle the receipts in BMW's face when they decide to not honour warrantee because of bad fuel.

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
I just bought my first BMW Z4 and was told that you HAVE to use Premium gas in it and cannot use Regular. Is this true?
Premium gas is at most 50 cents more per gallon more than regular, and regular right now is about $3.50. So you're talking about 1/7 the price or 14% markup; and again, that's being very generous on price differences.

You bought a BMW two seater roadster, which claims to be "the ultimate driving machine". I would gander a bet that it cost more than 1/7 the price of your alternative.

By all means, put a tank or two of 87 through it, but do us all a favor... after you've used 87 for a while, put one tank of 91/93 in it. Then report back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply.........got a feeling that the premium will be my choice though based on my replies!

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
It will run on regular, but you may lose fuel efficiency so mpg can decrease.

Premium is around 24 cents higher than regular here. I would run a couple of tanks on regular, check mpg and performance feel, then do the same with premium. If you don't see or feel any difference, stick with regular!

·
The Arkleyologist
598 Posts
And there is a difference among gasolines. It is always better to choose a "Top Tier" gasoline when fueling your BMW. Case in point, I purchased my 2000 Z3 coupe 8 months ago. At the first fill up the car only registered 3/4 of a tank on the gage. My guess was that the PO had been using cheaper gasolines. I added the Chevron gas treatment and at the next filling the gage registered slightly higher. Since then, I have used only Shell, either 89 or higher at every fill up. After every fillup the gas gage registers slightly higher on the gage, now to the point where it shows almost full. Do not use "crap" gas, go to the Top Tier gas website and they will tell you which gasolines are consistently high quality.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Gas

Welcome to the club Trox. I run mid-grade from time to time. Lets all hope the price of Gas will come down soon !!!! Enjoy your AWESOME ride !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, Top Tier gas is definitely recommended for your bimmer. I wasn't paying attention, got low on gas and had to stop at a no name station. Even though I got 91 my car ran like crap until the next tankfull - even after putting in Techron.

I couldn't tell what model you have - 3.0i and si minimum recommended is 87, for the M it's 89. Either way - congratulations and enjoy your new ride! :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
I only drive my car once a week now.. 4.35 for 93 in nyc.. :(
$3.77 for premium at Sam's Club in Nashua yesterday. About 10 cents per gallon cheaper than other gas stations. Not a Top Tier gas, but no issues. They also have a high turn rate on storage tank fills.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
I always use 91 or 93 never ever 87!
99% of the time, me too. However, sometimes in winter I use 89. My dealer said that was fine for our cold winters here in NH.

·
The Arkleyologist
598 Posts
Madurodave, IMHO, using Sams Club gas (or the equivalent) in your BMW is not a good idea. It is false economy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Madurodave, IMHO, using Sams Club gas (or the equivalent) in your BMW is not a good idea. It is false economy.
The Sam's Club in my town pumps Ethanol Free gas. It's worth it to me to not run Ethanol in the car.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
Why would you say that?

Facts please!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts