Mine has:

Platzl
Bayerische Hof
Kings
Leonardo Royal
Hilton Munich Airport
Munich Marriott
Hilton Munich Park

I think we want mid-priced, an easy walk to Marienplatz, and a safe overnight for my car.

I see mixed reviews on the Platzl here, which would have been the logical choice among those.

If not, what is your fave?

No one seems to post in the Travel Forum, so asking where people will see it. Thanks!

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
I've stayed at the both the Hilton Munich Park and Hilton Munich Airport (formerly a Kempinski).

Munich Park is a great hotel, though mostly devoted to business travelers. It's a ~10 min cab from the Welt and has underground parking. If my memory serves me, the food in the restaurant is actually very good. The staff was excellent and very amenable to exhausted Americans in t-shirts and shorts showing up at 10AM and wanting their hotel room. We'll stay here on our next ED.

The Munich Airport is a REALLY nice hotel (or was when Kempinski ran it) that is extremely convenient for dropping the car off and flying out the next morning. They have (or had) a car service that will transport you and your luggage to the terminal. It's walking distance but not walking-with-luggage distance. However, it is literally right across the street from where you return your car. We will end our next ED here if we fly out of Munich.

A lot of ED Forum posters that aren't around much any more have recommended the Kings, but I've never stayed there. If you search the forums, you may find their thoughts.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My personal favorite is the Bayerischer Hof.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
On both of our Euro Delivery trips we've stayed at the Munich Marriott at the beginning of our trip, not because it's one of the hotels in the ED packet, but because we have a ton of Marriott points and we're lifetime gold, so we get upgraded. It's your standard Marriott hotel and has an underground parking garage as well as spacious outdoor carports on ground level, which is where we parked this last trip. It's in a nice neighborhood and we were never concerned about our cars, even parking on the street in front of the hotel on our first trip. It's only about a five minute walk to the Nordfriedhof U-Bahn stop which can get you to anywhere you want in central Munich in 10-20 minutes, including Marienplatz and the Olympiazentrum stop by the Welt.

On our last trip in May we stayed at the Hilton Munich Airport on our last night, again because we had points, and it's extremely convenient for drop-off and catching your outbound flight. It's a pretty nice hotel for a Hilton with a huge glass lobby that's pretty impressive. Our outbound flight was on a Saturday morning, so on Friday afternoon we parked in front of the hotel, unloaded our luggage, checked in, then drove the 100 feet or so to Loginout, had the car processed, then walked back to the Hilton. On Saturday morning we just wheeled our luggage over to Terminal 2 and checked in for our flight.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've stayed at the Hotel Adria twice and will be staying there again in August. Modest hotel, reasonably cheap in a great little residential neighborhood walking distance to the tourist spots.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Not that it matters we have our reservations at the Leonardo Royal. Never been there so no review at this time. It's walking distance to BMW where we will be spending half our time. Tell them you are a Euro Delivery customer and they will throw in a free breakfast.

·
just a fool
119 Posts
We just stayed at the Leonardo Royal 2 weeks ago. It is 20 minutes walking distance to Welt. The hotel parking is 17 Euro extra, so we just packed at the Welt overnight for free, and took the subway to downtown - the station is 2 minutes away from the hotel. The next morning I walked to Welt again to pick up the car and another free breakfast at the lounge. The hotel staff was nice enough to let me park in the front to load luggage and check out. He even commented on the horse power of M3, and asked me to rev the engine before I take off, which I happily obliged.

You can get better rate by going directly to the Leonardo website, and 10% off internet rate if you join its club membership. The only downside is breakfast is not included - but again Welt lounge is 20 minutes away. :rofl:

·
Registered
18 Posts
We were in Munich this past May and I highly recommend the Pension Lindner at Dultstrasse 1 which is about a 5-10 minute walk to Marienplatz. The room was only 100 euros a night and was even less with a cash discount - we paid a total of 270 euros for 3 nights. The owner is really nice and the breakfast is extremely good and included in the rate. Usually we skipped lunch or just had a light snack. The Welt is only a 20 minute trip on the S line. The only draw back is you have to park in a garage right around the corner from the B&B. We had just picked up an M235i and I felt a little nervous about the parking garage but like most of Munich it was very clean and felt safe.

Pension Lindner is also recommended by Rick Steves and it's probably worth purchasing his Pocket guide to Munich and Salzburg. It came in really handy and the Munich walk is worth an afternoon - some of the sights on the tour are incredible such as the Asam Church and the Residenz. You'd also be walking distance to Der Pschorr which turned out to be our favorite restaurant in Munich http://www.der-pschorr.de

·
Registered
296 Posts
Worth highlighting: The Welt will let you valet park in their garage for free, we have used that benefit twice now and it well worth not worrying about where to park. You don't want to be driving around town anyway, just take the subway everywhere.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I stayed at the Leonardo Royal on my ED last year and would recommend it, depending on what rate you're able to get. It wasn't in my ED package but I e-mailed the hotel and got a BMW rate (€99?) for one of two nights I stayed there (the other night was substantially more expensive). The BMW rate included parking in the underground garage, although the garage was full due to an event the night I parked there (hotel staff let me park in a reserved space). On my return to Munich, I stayed at a different hotel (Freisinger Hof) and parked at the Welt. I'd recommend parking at the Welt instead of the hotel, as I was able to find spaces there each time I parked that looked safe from door-dings.

The Leonardo was modern and very nice. The breakfast was expansive and very good. There's nothing of interest around the hotel but an U-bahn stop is just a few minutes walk away, and the Welt is only one stop from there.

One issue is that the internet was (is?) very expensive, IIRC around €20 a day. Lots of complaints about this on TripAdvisor. The hotel said they are locked into a contract with the provider that requires this charge. Supposedly they will eliminate or reduce the charge when the contract ends, but I'd check to see what the current situation is.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When we did our ED in March we stayed at the Holiday Inn City Center (I'm a frequent traveler and have lots of Holiday Inn free nights). The location is very good - right around the corner from the Deutsches Museum and about a 15-20 minute walk to the Marienplatz. There are decent restaurants a very short walk, and a Porsche dealership around the corner with interesting stuff in the window :)
The rooms are clean and basic, and there is a pretty nice bar with basic food in the lobby. Parking is underneath and very secure - I think the cost for parking was 12 euros per night. This hotel is about a 25 minute drive from the Welt, and probably 30 minutes to the airport (without traffic).
If you are looking for clean and mid-priced this is a good choice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We loved the Charles Hotel. Excellent breakfast too. It's a nice walk through the Alter Botanic Garden, Karlsplatz to Marienplatz and then to the Residenz.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I stayed at the Eden Wolff hotel earlier this month. We were coming via train from Frankfurt and it is literally across the street from the train station. I did not use the parking because I decided to leave my car at BMW overnight and picked it up the next morning. It is about a 15 minute walk to the Marienplatz or you can get on any S Bahn train and take it two stops.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine has:

Platzl
Bayerische Hof
Kings
Leonardo Royal
Hilton Munich Airport
Munich Marriott
Hilton Munich Park

I think we want mid-priced, an easy walk to Marienplatz, and a safe overnight for my car.

I see mixed reviews on the Platzl here, which would have been the logical choice among those.

If not, what is your fave?

No one seems to post in the Travel Forum, so asking where people will see it. Thanks!
Still waiting to receive my ED packet - is there much of a discount or am I better booking through the hotel or my Chase Sapphire account? We're going to be in Munich over Oktoberfest, so prices are likely going to be high no matter what.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
After taking delivery of the new car, the well being of the car is almost more important than human life. :rofl: Munich is not hazardous to cars compared to many cities but the city center is a bit crowded.

I would recommend seeing the downtown area on the day of arrival and depend on the U-bahn or buses. One might even spend a second day, particularly if one spends a lot of time at the Deutsches Museum. Having a car is convenient to see things around Munich not in downtown.

The BMW Welt allowed me to use their garage without charge one night after delivery (same day of delivery, retrieve car next morning). I didn't ask to use the garage for more days. I then stayed at a suburban hotel that had plenty of free gated underground parking such that no car parked next to mine. It was the Ibis Budget chain. The room rate was comparable to motels in the U.S., such as Rodeway Inn or Sleep Inn. The room rates increased as I checked closer to the travel dates. I think it was about $45 when I booked far in advance.

The end result was the European Delivery car had no curb rash on the wheels and not a single scratch or ding. Perfection.

·
just a fool
119 Posts
After taking delivery of the new car, the well being of the car is almost more important than human life. :rofl: Munich is not hazardous to cars compared to many cities but the city center is a bit crowded.

I would recommend seeing the downtown area on the day of arrival and depend on the U-bahn or buses. One might even spend a second day, particularly if one spends a lot of time at the Deutsches Museum. Having a car is convenient to see things around Munich not in downtown.

The BMW Welt allowed me to use their garage without charge one night after delivery (same day of delivery, retrieve car next morning). I didn't ask to use the garage for more days. I then stayed at a suburban hotel that had plenty of free gated underground parking such that no car parked next to mine. It was the Ibis Budget chain. The room rate was comparable to motels in the U.S., such as Rodeway Inn or Sleep Inn. The room rates increased as I checked closer to the travel dates. I think it was about $45 when I booked far in advance.

The end result was the European Delivery car had no curb rash on the wheels and not a single scratch or ding. Perfection.
I found Germans are much more careful not to ding others' doors when parking. Personally I think it is just a paranoid out of habit. Hotel parking usually is not a problem as it usually is not congested. Street parking when sightseeing is harder as you need to find meters. I've parked in some really tight spots, but the car survived after 12 days without a single scratch on the dropoff. So I don't think you need to be overly concerned. Even in the unlikely event of getting dinged, the insurance will cover the fix.

·
just a fool
119 Posts
Still waiting to receive my ED packet - is there much of a discount or am I better booking through the hotel or my Chase Sapphire account? We're going to be in Munich over Oktoberfest, so prices are likely going to be high no matter what.
We stayed at Leonardo Royal - walking distance to Welt. When I called them for reservation, they won't honor the 99 Euro rate, and quoted me 135 including breakfast. So I ended up booking it online at a lower rate (10% more after joining their club), and had breakfasts at Welt. Leonardo charges 17 Euro for overnight parking, so I left the car at the Welt underground garage for free - BMW gave me an exit ticket as part of the delivery documents.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Marriott isn't really near anything, but I was happy with it. Clean, comfortable and quiet, it's a very short walk to a metro station that will get you pretty much anywhere. The breakfast buffet was fine. The parking garage was fine. A big trade show was happening in Munich the week I was there, so rates were fairly high everywhere. Even with a supposed BMW discount, I think I paid EUR 143 per night.

·
Registered
165 Posts
+1 Bayerischer Hof.

Stayed there five times, three of which were ED's. Wonderful rooms (Deluxe and suites), the restaurants are great and the bar scene is really cool. You are just a short walk to the Marienplatz or the Staatsoper and a reasonable cab ride to the Welt. We have parked there a couple of times without problem, but we cab it most of the time in town. This has become our sanctum sanctorum in Europe. Our starting point whether we are doing ED or not. Expensive, but stayed in Le Meridien one Oktoberfest for $200 more. We have also stayed in Kings and Kings First Class on arrival before car pick up. Kings is better IMO.

Have a great time and good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts