BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Do you rev over 4500?

• Rarely. That kind of driving belongs on the track.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Occasionally.

Votes: 42 38.9%
  • Every time I drive. That's normal driving.

Votes: 59 54.6%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sort of in disbelief over some comments regarding this topic, so I want to know what the consensus is. I know everyone is different, so I'm not making any judgments. Just really curious what everyone's opinions are.

kurt

EDIT:

Also in the name of scientific research, I've polled the other board to compare responses.

Fanatics Poll Results

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
With a 2.5L that's an every day thing:thumb:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
atyclb said:

With a 3.2L that's an every minute thing! :thumb: :thumb:

:angel:
:bigpimp:

Errrrrr I have .7 L envy:cry:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
ride365 said:
I'm at one extreme and have a hard time understanding the other extreme.
And what are those extremes ?

Is it sort of 'shifting @1500 or @5500 ?' thingy ?

G

·
I can't iamgine how bad the carbon deposits are in those cars that never get revved...

That's why driving the piss out of the car is called a Bavarian Tune-Up.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alex Baumann said:
And what are those extremes ?
I'm trying to understand why someone would buy a car and not use it the way it was meant to be used. IMHO most if not all cars are meant to use the full rev range. That's the whole point on a rev-limit/redline.

More than once I've encountered the opinion that revving above 4500 is dangerous, damaging or means you are going fast. Like I said, I'm just trying to understand the other point of view.

kurt

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
ride365 said:
More than once I've encountered the opinion that revving above 4500 is dangerous, damaging or means you are going fast. Like I said, I'm just trying to understand the other point of view.
I don't think that there's a need to understand the other point of view. The max HP is reached mostly around 5000/6000 RPM. If you won't use it why would someone spend so much money on a BMW, buy a Yugo and enjoy the saved cash.

As Tom said, you can't harm that engine so easily.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW I recently picked up a 1990 325i. The previous owner was a woman [probably irrelevant] who used it for short trips into the city. When I got it to my mechanic, the compression was off in a couple cylinders due to carbon build up. He suggested trying to wind it up to 4000 rpms when I get it on the highway. I looked at him with a bewildered look until he said, "Unless that's how you intend to drive it anyway."

kurt

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
I don't think I ever shift below 4500 :dunno: Even when not driving fast my "butt meter" tells me the shift point is above 4500.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
One of the first things my dealer told me several years ago after I bought my first Bimmer, was "Don't be afraid to rev it. BMW engines like to rev."

He did also say keep it at 4500 or under for the first 1200 M for break-in, but added, after that I can gradually start revving in the 5000s with no problem.

G

·
ride365 said:
BTW I recently picked up a 1990 325i. The previous owner was a woman [probably irrelevant] who used it for short trips into the city. When I got it to my mechanic, the compression was off in a couple cylinders due to carbon build up. He suggested trying to wind it up to 4000 rpms when I get it on the highway. I looked at him with a bewildered look until he said, "Unless that's how you intend to drive it anyway."

kurt
I bought my car last Oct. It is a '98 that was purchased by it's original owner in Oct '97. It had 26K miles on it as of when I bought it. The clutch was very firm and other signs of wear were limited. I was told an older woman who lived in the city had owned it and the name/adress written in the owner's manual supported that.

Well, in the first few months I had the car, I had issues with a rough idle and some hesitation. But after a few months of driving the piss out of the car (and some Techron through the fuel system) it runs great.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TD said:
I bought my car last Oct. It is a '98 that was purchased by it's original owner in Oct '97. It had 26K miles on it as of when I bought it. The clutch was very firm and other signs of wear were limited. I was told an older woman who lived in the city had owned it and the name/adress written in the owner's manual supported that.
yeah so many cars out there going to waste. People don't realize they hurt their cars by not using them the right way... okay so maybe now I'm getting judgmental ;)

kurt

G

·
Anyone else check in on the Fanatics lately? While I'm not sure either board's results are a true indicator of anything (since there is selective voting - I mean we know that there's at least one NEVER here, but he hasn't voted), there is a rather significant difference in the results up to now.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Mike 325xi said:
I don't think I ever shift below 4500 :dunno: Even when not driving fast my "butt meter" tells me the shift point is above 4500.
Something that big has got to be accurate:lmao:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts