BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a 328i, do you use the car in excess of the 320i's capability (or if you have a 335I, compared to a 328i)? For example, with a 328i, do you take advantage of the extra horsepower that it has over a 320i?

Looking at the German BMW website, I would not want the lesser models of the F30. Going upscale,, I could see myself getting a 328i instead of a 320i but I am not certain if I could use the extra HP of a 335i and wouldn't like the worse gas mileage.

What do you think?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Depends. I don't personally want a 320, although I would drive one, with a MT6, and I'm not paying 10 grand for an engine upgrade at this juncture of my life. I certainly would have 10 years ago, and be driving a 335, if one existed then.

The 328 is a pretty good balance of everything. I still refuse to drive it in ECO.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Most US highways have speed limit of 65 mph. How fast can you go?

That's one of reasons I traded in my 07 550 to my current 320. If the hwy is like German autobahn, then it would be a complete different story.

It's a shame that a lot of high power cars are actually not being utilized ...

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
335i with a tune here, and yes, I use it. There's fast, and there's quick, and this car is both. I can ease on the throttle pulling away from a light, and still pull away from traffic, and get 19/30 mpg. If I need to pass, I do, because I can. How fast can I go? There are times, on certain highways that I can cruise at 85, and still have power on tap if I get the itch to blip it up into triple digits for a minute or two, when it's safe to do so.
If you want a powerful car that still gets decent gas mileage, this is it. If you don't care, then a 328 is fine. :)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You don't get the 335i because it can do 155mph or whatever. You get it because it's more responsive when getting on the gas at any speed and any rpm. And it's a silky smooth awesome I6. Not everybody cares about those attributes, or maybe they prefer the positive attributes of the N20; that's just fine too. Choices are good.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You don't get the 335i because it can do 155mph or whatever. You get it because it's more responsive when getting on the gas at any speed and any rpm. And it's a silky smooth awesome I6. Not everybody cares about those attributes, or maybe they prefer the positive attributes of the N20; that's just fine too. Choices are good.
+1 I have a 320 and its great... but a 335 it is not, but it's not trying to be. 335's are deceivingly fast, I couldn't own one, id lose my license. I was loaned one years ago while my E90 was in the shop and I swear as soon as I started it my IQ dropped significantly...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Chiefneil you hit the nail on the head. The smoothness of the N55 combined with the torque curve being so linear just makes going thru the gears a wonderful experience. Can you get that with the N20 in its two different tunes? To a certain extend you can, so both are good alternatives if you are budget minded.

And as f30 said about the 335i is just deceptively fast. I have to check myself time and time again to slow down because the car just begs to be driven in a spirited fashion. Honestly I can't see how anyone can check themselves with an M3 day in and day out..

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
Another +1 for you but in the context of 328 vs 320. When I get on the loud pedal of my 328 it scoots and rushes to the redline. I did not experience the same when I test drove a 320i (hampered with xDrive unfortunately). Ultimately I did not want to settle for the weaker powertrain.

·
It means bright red
808 Posts
I was dead set on a 335 when i went to test drive but i wanted to feel the new 4c. I was blown away on an onramp. Definitely been in faster cars but the fact that it was only a 4c really impressed me.

To me the power dif wasn't that big of a difference to get the 335.

I ended up ordering a sportline 328.

I think it would be cool to get a stripped 320. But i wanted more amenities that come with 328.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was skeptical of owning any 4-cylinder, ever, until my dealer gave me a 528 loaner one day. I drove it really hard and it was pretty much no fun, but the engine seemed really strong to pull a car of that size. So, here we are. I think the N20 is a remarkable piece.

·
Abuser of everything
Audi S5 SB 2019
3,528 Posts
It is either a modestly equipped 320i or a 335i.

The 328i is pointless unless you load a 320i with gadgets and then the price is too close for comfort. Yet a 320i Sport with Xenon, sunroof, leather is 42800$ and a 328i is 50351$, would be 2K less without NAVI (now std). That's still 6000$ and I wouldn't get NAVI anyway.

My 323i was 15K$ cheaper than a 335i. I don't want to pay that just to get a 0-60mph in 4.8s... no thanks. Would be a waste if I didn't care for engine note. Sub 7s 0-60mph is quick enough. Marketing create "needs" for some people, but it is greatly exaggerated.

I am one fine away of losing my driving license so the last thing I "need" is a 335i. :angel:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I agree its either 320i with sport pack or M Sport 335i. The 328i is pointless to me. Both 320i and 328i feel too close as daily drivers. 320i has enough low end torque that peaked way below 2000rpm to be considered low in power.

316i may be another story although I have never driven one.

·
Registered
411 Posts

The 328i is pointless unless you load a 320i with gadgets and then the price is too close for comfort. Yet a 320i Sport with Xenon, sunroof, leather is 42800$ and a 328i is 50351$, would be 2K less without NAVI (now std). That's still 6000$ and I wouldn't get NAVI anyway.

My 323i was 15K$ cheaper than a 335i. I don't want to pay that just to get a 0-60mph in 4.8s... no thanks. Would be a waste if I didn't care for engine note. Sub 7s 0-60mph is quick enough. Marketing create "needs" for some people, but it is greatly exaggerated.

I am one fine away of losing my driving license so the last thing I "need" is a 335i. :angel:
To each their own. You have your opinion and I have mine. While fine with some, a 0-60 above 6 seconds is boring to me. I ordered my car as a 335i (and threw on the MPPK) because I enjoy the surge of torque and hp that presses me into my seat on my way to 60 in 4.5 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Discussion is good. I am now fully convinced that my choice of a 320i was good for me. In the future, a 335i might be considered but not a 328i.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

You know I could be saying the same thing right now about my 335i and M3. Price difference is about 18K and unlike you I can honestly say it insane to think more power is needed above the 335i for street driving. But you know what? I would sound like someone than can't afford an M3 and its bitter about it. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree that the 328 is not a $50,000.00 car, but it is a really good sub-$30,000.00 car, used, with very low miles. That's the price point where it no longer makes sense, to me, to contemplate buying a new 320.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I have a 335i (N55). It was meant to be used as my wife's daily driver and my weekend/track toy. My wife was frustrated with ZSP ride, low profile tires and peeling her eyes for potholes while I got frustrated with 320 hp and 315 lbft (I have PPK) in normal driving. So I bought 140 hp 240 lbft diesel car which is right there on borderline to be frustrating to drive here if there are other "drivers" on the road. Fortunately, it can be enjoyed and I truly enjoy using it as daily driver - something neither I or my wife succeeded in doing with 335i for different reasons.

So, for those who say they can use 335i power in U.S. - good for you. I know I couldn't. That's why the car in the signature picture is now dedicated to be driven when I actually can use 320/315 or at least over 50% of it - deserted roads on weekends and racetrack. Everything else ... forget about it.

This discussion pops up on Bimmerfest forums with some regularity and I said this before, so bear with me if you are reading it again. There are, very briefly, 4 reasons you cannot enjoy even 320i fully in this country, let alone 335i :

- roads
- laws
- cops
and, first and foremost above any of the three already mentioned
- U.S. drivers

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Evenflow: You are making an argument by comparing used 328i to new 320i??? What's preventing you from going to 335i, M3, M5, Porches? There is something very flawed in that argument.

Mark K: well said I couldn't agree more.

·
It means bright red
808 Posts
I have a 335i (N55). It was meant to be used as my wife's daily driver and my weekend/track toy. My wife was frustrated with ZSP ride, low profile tires and peeling her eyes for potholes while I got frustrated with 320 hp and 315 lbft (I have PPK) in normal driving. So I bought 140 hp 240 lbft diesel car which is right there on borderline to be frustrating to drive here if there are other "drivers" on the road. Fortunately, it can be enjoyed and I truly enjoy using it as daily driver - something neither I or my wife succeeded in doing with 335i for different reasons.

So, for those who say they can use 335i power in U.S. - good for you. I know I couldn't. That's why the car in the signature picture is now dedicated to be driven when I actually can use 320/315 or at least over 50% of it - deserted roads on weekends and racetrack. Everything else ... forget about it.

This discussion pops up on Bimmerfest forums with some regularity and I said this before, so bear with me if you are reading it again. There are, very briefly, 4 reasons you cannot enjoy even 320i fully in this country, let alone 335i :

- roads
- laws
- cops
and, first and foremost above any of the three already mentioned
- U.S. drivers
Most americans have no idea what its like to drive on something like the Autobahn. While the speeds are great the way it seems the entire country has a respect for traffic laws was more amazing to me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The argument would be that, in my opinion, a slightly used 328 makes the 328 worth it, and a better purchase than a 320, at the same price point. In other words, I don't think the 328 is a useless car in the 3-series line-up. If you like performance, a 1 second difference in 0-60 times matters a bunch in the drivability of the car, as a sports sedan. Obviously, the 335 is another story.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.