BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
TTVIPER said:
Do you comprimise the quality of sound going from a CD player to a Hardwired IPOD (Icelink) set up ?

Thanks !

Jeff
Don't know about the Icelink specifically however..........

There is a small amount of difference with the ipod itself depending on how you downloaded your music. With the addition of more electronics there is always a chance of degraded sound. However if you download at a higher bit rate the better it sounds but that takes up more space on your iPod. I use 128 and that is very acceptable. but I don't have Icelink. So you do have a choice but yes it can sound just like your CD. Nice to have a choice isn't it?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think any quality lost would be between 1 and 3% compared to a 320kbps encoded MP3. By the way, 128kbps is MUCH too low quality. Even with normal PC speakers (Logitech Z-680 5.1 Digital), I can easily tell the difference between a 128kbps MP3 and a 256kbps or higher.

But then again, the X5 audio systems are nothing to be impressed over, so the audio system itself never really reproduces the sound at its best... :dunno:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bavarian said:
I think any quality lost would be between 1 and 3% compared to a 320kbps encoded MP3. By the way, 128kbps is MUCH too low quality. Even with normal PC speakers (Logitech Z-680 5.1 Digital), I can easily tell the difference between a 128kbps MP3 and a 256kbps or higher.

But then again, the X5 audio systems are nothing to be impressed over, so the audio system itself never really reproduces the sound at its best... :dunno:
Mine are compressed at 128kbps and I can just tell the difference between the iPod and CD player, I suspect that 192 or higher would be pretty hard to spot particularly given the quality of the speakers in the X5. It depends on what sort of music you play and how much of a perfectionist you are. If you weren't able to directly compare with a CD then you'd never know it wasn't from a CD source, wheras using a tape head adaptor or FM signal input is obviously crap.

·
10,856 Posts
It's not hard to tell, but it's not awful, either. Mostly you'll notice a compressed sound stage.

I think it's the icelink mostly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MP3 Bitrate

I have gone to all 256Kbps compression. Sounds fantastic. Much beter than the RF XM radio and Alpine player I had in an E38. Most of my musicis rips of CDs I have bought myself. Downloaded files from the internet are generaly ripped at lower quality an have screwy ID3 Tag info in them.

Steved said:
Mine are compressed at 128kbps and I can just tell the difference between the iPod and CD player, I suspect that 192 or higher would be pretty hard to spot particularly given the quality of the speakers in the X5. It depends on what sort of music you play and how much of a perfectionist you are. If you weren't able to directly compare with a CD then you'd never know it wasn't from a CD source, wheras using a tape head adaptor or FM signal input is obviously crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.