BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe that absolutely nobody here drag races their Bimmer. I find it refreshing, just about every car-related forum bases many a thread on 1/4 mile times and the like. Goes hand in hand with the bashing of street racers I suppose.

Just a bored observation.

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
When the opportunity arises!

Never been to a quarter mile track but I've had a handful of stoplight races in her.

Modified Acura Integra wanted a piece (and regretted it), a couple highway runs with some new Altims who "requested" to be knocked down a notch...

I live minutes from a big time local street race scene I used to frequent in high school. Tons of cars up there every Friday and Saturday night. On occassion when I have to drive thru the area on those nights, I see a couple E46's up there...

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
I'd like to but...

The closest strip to me is Englishtown, NJ - that's a couple hours ride for me. I was trying to get down there when I had my Mustang to see what times I could get out of her but never had the chance.

Most of my free time is now spent with my wife and two daughters - no complaints!

I wish there was a track within 30 minutes...that could be considered a early Friday night of fun!!!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
What's the point? I do not see how much skill would be involved with a 1/4 mile race. I bet the 1/4 mile time for a bad launch is only about 1 sec slower than a good launch.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
CD-55 said:
What's the point? I do not see how much skill would be involved with a 1/4 mile race. I bet the 1/4 mile time for a bad launch is only about 1 sec slower than a good launch.
Actually there is quite a talent in being able to launch a car consistantly. It's a general misconception that all ya gotta do is mash the throttle.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
I haven't had the car long enough yet, but I've taken my bike to the 1/4 mile strip at Cayuga in Canada. My biggest problem has been reaction time. On my bike I was at over 1.5 sec! :yikes: This mostly had to do with the fact that I was worried about cranking the throttle and flipping my bike.

I think I will take the car up there later this summer and get some times. At $15 Canadian for a full day its a steal. With the bike I can go as many times as I want b/c there is hardly any line. The cars are lucky to get 2-3 launches in a few hours.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
I think one of the bigger issues is the lack of the ability to take it to the 1/4 mile.

Where I live, every friday the track is open for 1/4 mile runs. They call it secret street. Started up to take the racing off the street and to the track...

$20 gets you all the runs you can get in before they close. Timeslips and all.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Actually there is quite a talent in being able to launch a car consistantly. It's a general misconception that all ya gotta do is mash the throttle.
Okay... it is not like we have 500HP dragsters where we have to be careful with the go pedal. With an E46 mashing the go pedal is about all there is 2 it. We can vary the amount of clutch slip and tire spin but that is about it. There is much more skill required for an autocross where you have to launch then brake, turn, and accelerate several times.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
CD-55 said:

Okay... it is not like we have 500HP dragsters where we have to be careful with the go pedal. With an E46 mashing the go pedal is about all there is 2 it. We can vary the amount of clutch slip and tire spin but that is about it. There is much more skill required for an autocross where you have to launch then brake, turn, and accelerate several times.
Actually I'd say precise shifts are more important in a 1/4 drag than a auto-X.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
There is little skill in doing a 1/4 mile pass in minimum time.

There is a LOT of skill in doing 1/4 mile RACES against another car. Things like reaction time and staging play a big part.

Also much of 1/4 mile racing at the amateur level is bracket racing. In that, the tree dials in the time difference between the two cars, so theoretically both end up at the finish line together. But the kicker is, if you run faster than your dial in time, you "break out" and you lose. So consistancy becomes KING. And reaction time is still a big factor.

But personally I got over go fast ina straight line a long time ago. I much prefer to accelerate, brake, turn, etc.

But a friend (the guy who brought he Cobra by the 1st autocross this year) wants me to bring the M3 down for a Saturday at the drag strip. :)

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Actually I'd say precise shifts are more important in a 1/4 drag than a auto-X.
An unpercise shift at an autox will kill your time and maybe cause you to spin out or smoke a tire to shreads.

In the autox 3-weeks ago I found my best time by shifting 5 times, I know that is not normal, but it was an odd tight course. Most of the shifts (and launch, I think) were done while cornering or braking... none of which are found on a 1/4 drag strip. BTW, I doubt that dragsters have much need to learn how to heal toe.

I am just not convinced... drag racing just seems so basic compared to the track or an autocross.:dunno:

·
Button Pusher
1,166 Posts
Re: Re: yep

Mystikal said:

There we go, one member. BTW, your car is capable of 14 flat, no? :p
my car is capable of whatever i can manage behind the wheel. :)

it was pretty warm out that day and Carlsbad isn't known to be a fast track (the launch pad there is coated with teflon).

·
Button Pusher
1,166 Posts
CD-55 said:

An unpercise shift at an autox will kill your time and maybe cause you to spin out or smoke a tire to shreads.
an unprecise shift going down the drag strip (let's say a botched 3-4 shift in which you accidentally grab 2nd) could cause such things as an overrevved and newly destroyed engine or perhaps loss of control of the car due to axle hop, sending you into the guardrail at 90mph.

that being said, i do agree that autox or road racing requires a much broader skillset than drag racing. heel-toeing is a good example of that.

i only ran my 540 down the strip once just because i had to know what it would do and i'm not a bench racer that sits around quoting dyno sheet numbers all day long. :) timeslips rule.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have been to many National events at Englishtown NJ and a couple of local events in Great Meadows NJ.
I would never put my own street car on the track, but years ago me and a friend heavily modified a '69 Hurst SCrambler. I made passes in this car, but my friend was much better at staging/reaction time, so he drove it most of the time. the bored 390 (to 402) was capable of 11.7 runs.

When I worked for Dodge, I got pit/tower passes at Englishtown, and believe me there is nothing on wheels that compares to standing 30 feet away from those Nitro/Methane burning Animals :thumbup: :thumbup:

One cylinder on the Dodge Hemi's puts out more HP than two M3 engines. Those top feul plants put out over 5000 HP!!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have been to the 1/4 mile track, but only in my Mustang. Although I am sure Auto-x is more complicated. In a 1/4 mile race you don't have a lot of room for mistake. An eight of a second means a lot more in 13-14 seconds then it does in several minutes. That being said, I say try it before you knock it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.