BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left a deposit today for E.D. in late May on a 330i, Spark Graph w/beige interior. Does anyone know how to get a good hotel and/or rate? Also, preferably one that is close to the train, which I believe is called the U-Bahn. Thanks. :)

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
You should post this in the ED forum. If you search, there are many good recommendations. I prefer to stay at the Munich Marriott, which is a fine residential area of Schwabing, north of the city center. It is very close (two blocks) to the U-Bahn, and only a few stops away from downtown. There is a Renaissance which is also nice, across the street and a block closer to the U-Bahn.

You can try to get either of these on Priceline, and you'll probably be able to get a room for about $50 a night. These are very nice hotels, and for $50, can't be beaten. You can go to www.biddingfortravel.com to get an idea of what bids are successful at Priceline. This will give you an idea of how low you can start.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xspeedy said:
You should post this in the ED forum. If you search, there are many good recommendations. I prefer to stay at the Munich Marriott, which is a fine residential area of Schwabing, north of the city center. It is very close (two blocks) to the U-Bahn, and only a few stops away from downtown. There is a Renaissance which is also nice, across the street and a block closer to the U-Bahn.

You can try to get either of these on Priceline, and you'll probably be able to get a room for about $50 a night. These are very nice hotels, and for $50, can't be beaten. You can go to www.biddingfortravel.com to get an idea of what bids are successful at Priceline. This will give you an idea of how low you can start.
$50!!!!
Man, thanks... that's close to half what I've been getting.
Sorry, for the incorrect posting....maybe Alex will fix this.
I've got too much E90 on the brain!

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
RichReg said:
$50!!!!
Man, thanks... that's close to half what I've been getting.
Sorry, for the incorrect posting....maybe Alex will fix this.
I've got too much E90 on the brain!
I checked biddingfortravel, and it seems rates are a bit more (probably due to the tourist season). You might get anywhere from $60 - 70. Still not bad for a great hotel. $50 - $60 is typicaly during the off-season.

Good luck with your ED!

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
I very much enjoyed the Hotel Advocat which is more fun and 'groovy' than you regular hotel. One of the best breakfasts I have had ever is included.

Prices are around $120 euros and you kind find it here.

DesignHotels.com

Also, make sure to check out one of the best travel sites around, kayak.com which searches all other travel sites before telling you the best deals.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
xspeedy said:
I checked biddingfortravel, and it seems rates are a bit more (probably due to the tourist season). You might get anywhere from $60 - 70. Still not bad for a great hotel. $50 - $60 is typicaly during the off-season.

Good luck with your ED!
Thanks for that site....its great! And yup, looks like I should expect $65-$70, which is EXTREMELY reasonable. Question: Do these hotels generally charge extra for parking, especially if they have a garage?

More good news: My flight just dropped to $564.90 round trip!:banana:

The bad news: Lufthansa doesn't take Discover card. :(

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
Parking is extra. I think it is in the neighborhood of e20 a night or so. You'll need to call Marriott to get details. I've never had to park in Munich, since I usually leave town right after picking up my car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
does that fare w/ lufthansa qualify for the 2for1 program that BMW offers for ED? How did you get the fair so cheap? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
mjreddy said:
does that fare w/ lufthansa qualify for the 2for1 program that BMW offers for ED? How did you get the fair so cheap? Thanks...
Its an economy fare ;;;Class W. I am going on May 24th, arriving May 25th...non-stop.

Its ridiculous, right? The Q fare thru the 2 for 1 program was quoted to me @ a total of $1320. Then I asked how much economy fare(Class W or S) was on a separate phone call directly to Lufthansa & they reserved me seats for about $615 apiece. I thought....hmmm better than the Q fare 2-for-1. Last night, I went to their web-site & typed in the same request...

Lo and behold...the ticket I reserved on May24th was now $564.90!. I immediately called & they held my same ticket at the new price. Just got lucky I guess.....this sort of crap happens to me all the time.

My father said I was born with a shirt.

R.R.

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
RichReg said:
I left a deposit today for E.D. in late May on a 330i, Spark Graph w/beige interior. Does anyone know how to get a good hotel and/or rate? Also, preferably one that is close to the train, which I believe is called the U-Bahn. Thanks. :)
RichReg,

If your screen name means anything... why do you care what the cost of a hotel would be? :rofl:

Seriously... I did the Priceline thing and got a $62 USD room. The room was great! HOWEVER....

Due to last second changes in my ED plans... I needed 2 more nights in Munich and couldn't get Priceline to accept my bids...... so I had to quickly look for alternative reservations outside of Priceline.

As a result, I got 2 nights downtown Munich at the Acanthus Hotel for around $90 euros... BUT.... it included an incredible breakfast for 2 and the parking was only $10.

I created a web site of my recent trip, where you can see photos of the Acanthus as well as a link to their web site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~spartacus_33/

My stay at the Marriott (Priceline reservation) was very sterile! My stay at the Acanthus was truly a European experience that I'll never forget. Spend the extra $$ and stay at the Acanthus.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A search here on the ED forum will generate a ton of recommendations. :thumbup:

I stayed at the Marriot($65) and at Uhland($90). Uhland included breakfast and one of the most comfortable beds......and ofcourse a great pillow. (Am I nuts) :rofl:

Marriot was thro Priceline and was a cookie cutter hotel...but decent.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
For our recent trip we stayed at two diff hotels.

Night before delivery, we stayed at the Arabella Grand Hotel - Sheraton. Paid 45USD and 2800 Starwood points. Excellent hotel, very close to the UBahn. Has T-Mobile hotspot in the lobby.

Night before drop off, we stayed at the Renaissance Marriot using priceline for $65 a nite. Another good hotel but wifi is extra.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I stayed at the Rennaissance in Munich for $60 on Priceline. The room was decent if you want something basic. The Munich Marriott is right across the street and looked like it was a little nicer than the Rennaissance. I think you can get either via Priceline pretty cheap.

Enjoy ED, its fantastic!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have one word for you - UHLAND. Just do the search on this website. Great family run small place in a quite neighborhood. Fantastic breakfast, free parking and pretty cheap.
Such a far cry from corporate feel of Marriot and such.
I loved it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wallenrod said:
I have one word for you - UHLAND. Just do the search on this website. Great family run small place in a quite neighborhood. Fantastic breakfast, free parking and pretty cheap.
Such a far cry from corporate feel of Marriot and such.
I loved it!
Absolutely

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
RichReg said:
As others mentioned, the Marriott, Renaissance, and the Uland are popular Hotels in Munich used by many of us. I got the Marriott for March 24th on priceline for $70/night and the Hotel was great except the breakfast was a bit pricey for what it is. You can park safely around the Hotel to save on Hotel parking.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, thanks for all of these suggestions...they are great!

I was at the NY Auto Show last night, so I couldn't reply, but...

Spartacus_33: Unfortunately, my name did not get to coincide with my financial status. I must say that you as well as many other forums have suggested the Marriot so if I can't get a decent deal on a more "unique" hotel, then that should be the ticket. I will check out the Acanthus as well.

arnolds: Did you book Arabella thru Priceline? I am liking the idea of staying somewhere different before pickup, and possibly even the first day of pickup. Is it right in the middle of town like the Marriot?

Wallenrod & PittBMW: The UHLAND soiund great, I wonder if I can track down a good deal on that one! Is it far from the U-Bahn?

Thank you all.....I must now hurry, hurry as I just got confirmation from BMW & have booked my flight today, but I fear hotels may have increased a lot in two days as I know the airfares have. One final question: What's the difference between the S-Bahn & the U-Bahn?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
RichReg said:
Guys, thanks for all of these suggestions...they are great!

I was at the NY Auto Show last night, so I couldn't reply, but...

Spartacus_33: Unfortunately, my name did not get to coincide with my financial status. I must say that you as well as many other forums have suggested the Marriot so if I can't get a decent deal on a more "unique" hotel, then that should be the ticket. I will check out the Acanthus as well.

arnolds: Did you book Arabella thru Priceline? I am liking the idea of staying somewhere different before pickup, and possibly even the first day of pickup. Is it right in the middle of town like the Marriot?

Wallenrod & PittBMW: The UHLAND soiund great, I wonder if I can track down a good deal on that one! Is it far from the U-Bahn?

Thank you all.....I must now hurry, hurry as I just got confirmation from BMW & have booked my flight today, but I fear hotels may have increased a lot in two days as I know the airfares have. One final question: What's the difference between the S-Bahn & the U-Bahn?

Thanks again!
I booked Arabella thru www.starwood.com using points. Its not in the middle of town and marriot isn't as well. I think ULahnd is and also Le Meridien.

U-Bahn is underground subway, S-Bahn is overground light rail.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
BTW, I don't think you can go wrong in picking any of the hotels listed above. Trust me, you won't be spending much time in them anyway. For a first time traveller, the ULahnd sounds like a great spot. Since, this was my second ED, hotel selection didn't really matter. I mean I knew Arabella was a not near the city center but is very accessible via the subway and relatively close to Freimman Delivery Center. I also knew Rennaisance didn't have the european feel but I knew we were gonna check in late last saturday and had to wake up early and check out to drip the car off last sunday.

·
In Driving Heaven
2,772 Posts
RichReg said:
The Uhland is very convenient the U-bahn, as you can tell from their
website.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts