Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other....

Votes: 3 7.9%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I basically use mine to gauge how much fun I'm having driving the car.
The more I am on the gas, the worse the mileage the more fun.
The less I'm on the gas the better the mileage, the less fun!

Why doesn't BMW put something more useful there like oil temp on the M3, or alternater volts or whatever....

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Oil. Whenever I see the water temp reach 12-O'Clock I always hesitate before I start having fun with the gears. The oil is what I'm really waiting to warm up, and I have no idea how it is doing. :thumbdwn:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I don't know you guys, but for me it's quite annoying to watch it moving to the right :D with these gas prices we have here :tsk:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Really useless IMO. Ditch it in favor of something useful. I voted for oil temp.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
johnlew said:
It's stupid, but a BMW cult thing, I think. I had it on my 1972 2002.
I can appreciate it's a cult thing, but can't we swap it with something similar that provides more usefull information?!:dunno:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Being that its a new thing for me (only had my car a few days) I find it rather distracting. It moves around way too much and it's too close to other much more important gauges. If they averaged it just over one or two seconds it wouldn't be so distracting, or if they moved it off to the side someplace.

I voted oil temp (though oil pressure would be okay too). If I want to know my MPG I will get it from the computer or calculate it myself.

--SONET

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I think it should be selectable, the way the gauge cluster diag screens are, or the sensor readout diags that some A2 VWs had. A dot matrix display like on the E65 but only in the same space as the fun meter. You could just have the 'advanced' screens activated via key memory or something.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Kaz said:
I think it should be selectable, the way the gauge cluster diag screens are, or the sensor readout diags that some A2 VWs had. A dot matrix display like on the E65 but only in the same space as the fun meter. You could just have the 'advanced' screens activated via key memory or something.
Whoa, why don't we just integrate PDA's in our instrument clusters. :p

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Kaz said:
I like your idea Kaz. You could even have a selector like the OBC to fit your present need/desire.:thumb:

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Chipster said:

Why doesn't BMW put something more useful there like oil temp on the M3, or alternater volts or whatever....

What do you think?
As has been mentioned, it goes way back in BMW's history. Personally, I see no use for it.

I'd love to see an array of traditional instruments.

While I'm at it, I'd like to see the speedo center-stage and the tach integrated somehow.

Since I'm often concerned about speeding, I don't like having to look down and to the left.

Ed

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Does anyone see any value in the MPG gauge?

EdCT said:

As has been mentioned, it goes way back in BMW's history. Personally, I see no use for it.

I'd love to see an array of traditional instruments.

While I'm at it, I'd like to see the speedo center-stage and the tach integrated somehow.

Since I'm often concerned about speeding, I don't like having to look down and to the left.

Ed
Acutally, if BMW were to switch its cluster, a Tachometer-centric cluster would be best, a la Porsche. You should know why this is important :angel:

Just never let it be like the IS300 :eek: I like the BMW gauges :dunno:

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
I hate it!!!:mad:
I hate the way it keeps going back and forth, back and forth. It is very distracting. And it makes me feel like I'm wasting gas.:thumbdwn:

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Does anyone see any value in the MPG gauge?

nate328Ci said:

Acutally, if BMW were to switch its cluster, a Tachometer-centric cluster would be best, a la Porsche. You should know why this is important :angel:

On the track, yes, on the street, it's the speedo that matters most to me:)

Ideally,it'd be neat to have a set of analog instruments that one could rearrange at one's will; got a track day planned? Swap 'em around; Going on vacation? move 'em back.

This type of thing may have been mentioned already, but I'd like to see it as real analog stuff.

Ed

·
B zzzz ZZZZZZZ zzzz
226 Posts
The older 4000 & 5000 Audi's had Oil Temp, Volt, and I believe Oil Pressure. Three nice little guages down by the gear shift. You dont' need to look at them all the time, and if you do need to look at them, you're probably in trouble!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts