BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I drive rough and aggressively in my car, I switch to eco pro mode and turn off auto start stop until I reach my desination. I always make sure my car has been driven around for atleast a full minute in Eco pro with low revs before I shut it off. My question is: does Eco pro mode still cool the engine and oil? Or are the fans and coolers not running optimally to save fuel and battery?
Would it be better to drive my car in comfort before I shut it off?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
My understanding is that the F30 engine temp control will keep oil temp(as seen on oil temp gauge) low during spirited driving.

The oil temp will inch towards mid-point(for optimal thermal efficiency) only during highway cruising for fuel efficiency.

Also, regardless of sport/comfort/eco, the F30 electrical water pump should still stay on for a bit after engine shut down and cool down engine + turbo.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
my understanding is that the f30 engine temp control will keep oil temp(as seen on oil temp gauge) low during spirited driving.

The oil temp will inch towards mid-point(for optimal thermal efficiency) only during highway cruising for fuel efficiency.

Also, regardless of sport/comfort/eco, the f30 electrical water pump should still stay on for a bit after engine shut down and cool down engine + turbo.
+1

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Eco pro should be fine before I come to a complete stop? Even tho the engine cools after if need be. I just want to keep the revs low before shutting off

·
Registered
239 Posts
EcoPro is great for me, I average 8.6/100 which is way down from my 2010 E92 but that was a 6cyl.

But I really can not stand the bloddy engine cut off, and It drives me nuts that I have to manualy turn it off everytime I drive.

But I did read somewhere that coding/programming can be down to disable this engine cut off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes I can feel and hear that ecopro is in too high of a gear and is just putting additional stress on the engine. Is that a known problem or is it just my mind?

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
Whenever I drive rough and aggressively in my car, I switch to eco pro mode and turn off auto start stop until I reach my desination. I always make sure my car has been driven around for atleast a full minute in Eco pro with low revs before I shut it off. My question is: does Eco pro mode still cool the engine and oil? Or are the fans and coolers not running optimally to save fuel and battery?
Thanks
I don't believe that eco pro (or comfort or sport) has any impact upon engine cooling. The computer chooses the cooling map depending upon the type of driving you're doing, not whether you've chosen a mode. Constant travel on a freeway lets it choose the higher temp map for efficiency, but it would be chosen regardless of the option.

It occurs to me that BMW actually developed the map choice logic in a similar manner that the VW engineers did for diesel emissions cheating... :rofl:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I don't believe that eco pro (or comfort or sport) has any impact upon engine cooling. The computer chooses the cooling map depending upon the type of driving you're doing, not whether you've chosen a mode. Constant travel on a freeway lets it choose the higher temp map for efficiency, but it would be chosen regardless of the option.

It occurs to me that BMW actually developed the map choice logic in a similar manner that the VW engineers did for diesel emissions cheating... :rofl:
I completely agree with floyd. My question is why would you go with eco pro if you want to drive agressively? The slop in the gas pedal would drive me insane.

·
Registered
16 Posts
EcoPro mode isn't meant to be used for aggressive driving, its for saving fuel mileage and emissions. If you want to be aggressive with your car choose Sport or Sport+ they will give you a boosted throttle and steering response. In regards to cooling your engine however, changing driving modes is not going to change the way the engine cools itself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No no sorry I mean that I drive aggressively in sport and then I switch it to Eco pro before I reach my destination in which I drive like a grandma forcing the revs to stay low

·
Registered
257 Posts
I always feel running ecopro will turn down boost and cool the engine MORE. Maybe I'm wrong? If I'm riding my car hard, I'll turn it on eco-pro the last bit home, maybe it makes no difference IDK, but I just feel it's like wiping down a sweaty horse after a hard ride :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's exactly what I do and was asking if it does cool the engine rather then try to save battery and fuel

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have read somewhere that eco pro allows the engine to run hotter, i.e delays cooling, so that the the fuel burn is in its most efficient state. I don't think it has any effect on the engine once you turn it off. The coolant still circulates as necessary to properly cool it after shutoff.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks
Why do you choose EcoPro in that situation?

·
Registered
54 Posts
EcoPro is great for me, I average 8.6/100 which is way down from my 2010 E92 but that was a 6cyl.

But I really can not stand the bloddy engine cut off, and It drives me nuts that I have to manualy turn it off everytime I drive.

But I did read somewhere that coding/programming can be down to disable this engine cut off.
I got mine coded to default to "off" and it's great!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That's exactly what I do and was asking if it does cool the engine rather then try to save battery and fuel
Just drive the car and stop worrying about it. I never understood why people feel they have to second guess what the car is doing. This car will take care of itself without any need for you to do much of anything. They need to design them to be idiot proof if you will.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts