BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW wants $650 for a power rear windshield and manual side rear window shades. I have a baby on the way and the side rear window shades would be nice, but a power one on the rear windshield seems overkill.

The G30 doesn't come stock with side rear window shades does it? I saw one at the BMW Welt in Munich with side rear shades, but am nor sure if you need to spend $650 to get those.

·
Registered
599 Posts
BMW wants $650 for a power rear windshield and manual side rear window shades. I have a baby on the way and the side rear window shades would be nice, but a power one on the rear windshield seems overkill.

The G30 doesn't come stock with side rear window shades does it? I saw one at the BMW Welt in Munich with side rear shades, but am nor sure if you need to spend $650 to get those.
What does the US configurator say? In Canada we need a premium package to get them. As for overkill, with the sun directly overhead and the infant in a rear facing seat, it is a most useful option.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,817 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
I always order them, as it is definitely not standard. But, a good quality tint is worth more than moveable shade.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,851 Posts
If you are leasing, it will increase your cost by +/= $10 per month. Well worth it. Not only for the baby, but it will also keep your cabin cooler when the car is parked in the sun. With the A/C issues, that's worth $10/month right there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have the shades on my F10 and really like the rear one. Power option is a must have - who wants to jump back there and pull that thing up/down. With a rear facing child seat you and baby will appreciate it. I did not order this time and will see how much of a difference they make in the TN heat next summer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,817 Posts
I have the shades on my F10 and really like the rear one. Power option is a must have - who wants to jump back there and pull that thing up/down. With a rear facing child seat you and baby will appreciate it. I did not order this time and will see how much of a difference they make in the TN heat next summer.

The manual part is the rear side window shades, they slip down into a slot in the top door trim. There is no manual rear "windshield" shade option. The manual side window shades are part of the powered rear window shade option. Sorry, but it sounded like you thought there is also a manual rear window shade option.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The manual part is the rear side window shades, they slip down into a slot in the top door trim. There is no manual rear "windshield" shade option. The manual side window shades are part of the powered rear window shade option. Sorry, but it sounded like you thought there is also a manual rear window shade option.
Oh no didn't think that. OP stated power rear shade was over kill. Was just pointing out the utility in having the power. Its especially useful when weather conditions change in-route somewhere. Hit that button for up/down and provide the baby with the coverage he/she needs!

I thought "kick to close" trunk option was a bit over kill until yesterday. Got a big box out of trunk at FedEx, with no available hand to hit close button or reach in my pocket, could have used that option versus resting box on rear bumper lid. After 6 years my car is still scratch free..

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,149 Posts
The shades are worth every penny (including the power one in the read). I got them for my little ones and I would of have done it any other way. Little babies and kids are easily overheated by the sun, and with the craptastic climate system in this car, the shades make a HUGE difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,149 Posts
Another suggestion for little ones is stay away from ARS as that is a guaranteed ticket to car sickness.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't know if the shades are worth $650, but I have them in this car and had them in my E90 and like them. When its bright out I put the shade up and it reduces the brightness inside which is nice. I don't have kids and I hardly have people in the back seat so i just leave the shades on the side windows up all the time. Its nice for privacy too if I have some boxes or something in the back that I don't want anyone to see.

They probably help a little when the car is parked too, but a tint will block out more heat than the shades.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wish I had ordered rear and side shades with my M550iX. Rear automatic shade comes in real handy when setting or rising sun hits you full on in the rear-view mirror. Side shades help screen auto contents when parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
In addition to heat reduction the rear window shade also helps diminish headlight glare at night especially if you don’t tint your windows..

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,817 Posts
In addition to heat reduction the rear window shade also helps diminish headlight glare at night especially if you don't tint your windows..
Your dimming rearview mirror doesn't dim enough?

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,149 Posts
Sometimes those LED brights from the SUV tailgating you are just too bright even after autodimming...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts