Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2015 i3 Rex with 16000 miles. I have recharged at home with 110 volts.

Can I use the high speed recharging at my local EvGo charger?

Is it the second charge port with two prongs?

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3
1,432 Posts
Yep! If your car has the two extra large pins at the bottom, you can DC Fast charge. In the USA it was standard on 2015 and newer.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
In some markets, there were three options on charging, so nomenclature can get a little messy.

The i3 has a device called the KLE that essentially doubles the ability to charge when using acv. Then, it also has the extra, optional in some MY and markets, that allows it to use a CCS (DC fast charging).

In the USA, we always got the KLE, so can recharge at the higher acv input levels. The earliest i3's sold here did not have the CCS (DC fast) charging capability as standard. IF you have it, below the upper connector, there's a second receptacle that has two pins.

Without the KLE, maximum charging rate is in the order of 3700W. WIth it, 7400W (although in some markets with 3-phase power, it's higher). The CCS input on the i3s so equipped is 50Kw. NOte, not all charging stations provide the max the i3 can use. Some have more, but won't hurt the i3, as they communicate to limit the output to what the i3 can handle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Even with the turbocharger, at a 110v it will still take 15hrs or so to fully charge. Amazon sells a Juicebox charger that can run off 220v and it's about 4.5hr to fully charge. The car will only accept 7.4kw max charge so trying to go anything over 40amp charger is pointless. The only way you can charge more is with a DC fast charger.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The time to fully charge depends on more than one thing:
- the SOC when you start
- the battery and ambient temperature when you start
- the region where you bought your car...some have 3-phase inputs, most have single, and the maximum charging rate differs between the two
- whether you've selected the charge limiting in the menu
- the size of the EVSE...larger doesn't buy you anything unless the car can handle it, but won't hurt it. Note, newer vehicles may end up being able to use more, so having that capacity may futureproof your EVSE, at least in convenience, but will still work fine, but slower.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a warning though. Quick charging too often isn't healthy for the battery. Also, depending on where you live, it may not be any cheaper than gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts