BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new here and just bought my 2002 745i a week ago.

Does the memory (1 or 2) remember position of steering wheel? That's the functio I really need. Is it another function need dealer to enable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Call BMW NA customer service and have the car listed under your name in their records.

Fill out for the BMW Owners circle as well, and check the online PDF manual. If you dont get it after that then send your last 7 digits of VIN to BMW customer service from the email link on the website and ask them if you have the option.

What color is your 7? congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks raerae28.

I will call BMW NA. But, I thought the memory system includes steering wheel is the basic feature of the car. Ican't believe the bimmer memory only for seat and mirror.

The color is "Sterling Grey". That's my 2nd choice. The 1st choice of Beige is very hard to find.

Also, I have make a appointment with my local dealer to get the following features turn on. Wish me luck.

o Automatic lock on drive away
o Unlock when remote control removed
o Daytime running lights

·
Registered
68 Posts
My steering wheel remembers its position. Dont think the rear view mirror does but outside mirrors do.

Rae

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
raerae28 said:
My steering wheel remembers its position. Dont think the rear view mirror does but outside mirrors do.

Rae
Raerae28,

Are you saying when you insert the fob or push the memory button, the steering wheel will go the pre-set position? If yes, then I will bring my car in to let dealer fix it. Maybe it is another feature need dealer to enable. Why so many good features all be disabled by default? My Lexus has all those features.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am saying I did the following:

I got in, set the steering wheel to my settings, and my seats and mirrors. Hit the M and 1 button.

Turn the car off - Steering wheel moves out of my way
Turn the car on - Steering wheel goes back to where it was set.

Now I havent tried changing it and hitting M and 2 for memory.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's one of teh feature I want to turn on on my car. But, my real question is after somebody changed the position of the steering wheel, will you get it back by push the memory button "1"?

Thnaks.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
LouisBMW said:
That's one of teh feature I want to turn on on my car. But, my real question is after somebody changed the position of the steering wheel, will you get it back by push the memory button "1"?

Thnaks.
That's exactly the point! When you exit the car, the steering-wheel moves back so you can get out (and get in) easier. This function has nothing to do with memory. It would be interesting if the steering-wheel would return to its position (where it was when you saved the other settings like mirrors and seats) when you press a memory button after you actually CHANGED the position MANUALLY while sitting in the car... :dunno:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that's my real question. After somebody play around steering wheel, seat, mirrors, I want to push memry button "1" to get all my original setting back. My car memory button will get seat and mirrors positions back, but not the steering wheel.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
Well, I just checked the complete German price-list that includes all standard- and optional features. It really seems that the stering-wheel is not included in the memory. They only mention "Einstiegsautomatik für Lenksäule" - that's the comfort-function I was talking about where the wheel only remembers the previous position, but not the position it had when somebody saved a memory-key. :thumbdwn:

Strange, I really thought this car would have this feature. According to the brochure, it's not even an option in the 760Li.. :bawling:
Maybe a safety-issue...I have no idea... :dunno:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:cry: :banghead:

Thanks for the info. That's really a bad news. Every time I drive my wife's Lexus, I just push "1" and it has all my setting. I just sit in and drive. But, every time after she drive my 745i, I have to adjust the steering wheel. And, usually, I have different position every time. :tsk:

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
LouisBMW said:
:cry: :banghead:

Thanks for the info. That's really a bad news. Every time I drive my wife's Lexus, I just push "1" and it has all my setting. I just sit in and drive. But, every time after she drive my 745i, I have to adjust the steering wheel. And, usually, I have different position every time. :tsk:
You know what's really strange?? The 2006 US-brochure says "memory for steering-wheel". Now I'm really confused... :tsk:

Does anybody know any details??

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would still send a note to BMWNA customer service, with your VIN number and ask if it is an option on your vehicle (of course you probably dont have it) and whether its an option on 2005 or 2006 models.

Basically there are a few things that kinda got me on this car, its a 2002 and doesnt have powered folding side mirrors. My 2000 S-Class has this. Also its a 2002 and has to have a cell phone to do a roadside assistance call. My 2000 S-Class does this without an integrated phone.

BMW seemingly cut somethings to keep the price a little lower, but when it comes to 80k for a brand new car, I think you should include those things even if the price goes up to 90+ k.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
BTW, what about the newer Models (2005/6)? Do they come with power-folding mirrors?

I agree that those options should come standard in this category, but what Mercedes did with increasing prices, cutting back customer-service (no free services) and a lack of modern technology (No Bluetooth in 2005!! I don't want to be bound to their crappy and overpriced cellphones), there are plenty of things they have to improve as well. Their engines of the current S-class are outdated, IMO (except AMG and S600, but that's a different price-category). Well, hopefully they will improve that in the new S-class.

IMO, BMW delivers more for the dollar...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
100% agree with both of you.

The Bimmer is really a driving machine. No doubt about it. But, I really like those features on my Lexus LS430. The 2001 one already has folding mirrors, memory steering wheel, adjustable speed wipers, ................. The 745i only has 2 fixed (slow and fast) wiper speeds.

Probably, that's the reason every brand has its piece of pie and no one can wipe out other brands. :tsk:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts