21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here is a picture of where the vent is on when under the car:

There is very, very little room.
Here is what I used to slowly open up the vent:

The I was able to get the wire in about 3/4", after much wiggling.

After the next long drive, I will crawl under my car, and remove the fill plug and check for pressure build up. I am 90% sure the vent is now opened up.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ahhhhhh......... and now i see why we are here..
because we think the diff is leaking because the "vent" is clogged...
may i ask where your leaking from? (there is only 6 spots it can leak from)
driveshaft input seal, axle left axle right rear diff cover gasket fill and drain
Leak may be too strong wording... more like a sweat... between the the diff and cover.

·
Under the lift arms
12,899 Posts
I was only saying bee because im getting nasty pm from some guy here calling me out about the vent and how im wrong

what i was getting at is the fact that we are here talking about a leaking diff (WHICH DOES HAPPEN) and is quite normal... but its nothing to do with a hypothetical plugged vent"

max... drain your dif on level ground.. support the rear dif with a jack drop the cover, inspect your hole replace the cover with a new pumpkin gasket your leak will go away...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
max... drain your dif on level ground.. support the rear dif with a jack drop the cover, inspect your hole replace the cover with a new pumpkin gasket your leak will go away...
It is not enough to worry about right now.

PLUS in the last month I have spent more time under the car and under the hood than driving it. (rad, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, front thrust arms, alternator, drive shaft and support bearing, all 4 rear control arms, ball joints and rear end links...)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Without a doubt the diff IS vented. My pressure build up is gone. I went for a 1 hour drive to warm up the diff. When I got home, I removed the fill plug and nothing happened.

Also, look at the diff cover on this Z3: (note small hole on the upper right?

M3 Diff:

Or how about this E38 diff:

For those that think the small hole is not a vent, look at this X5 diff:
(A breather tube attaches to the top right tube to prevent water from getting into the diff when going off road.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Way to go, Max!

The Instant Canonical Pumpkin Venting Thread! (In more ways than you'dda thunk....)

[edit]
One thing I keep forgetting to ask out loud ... the top of the vent channel, is it solid aluminum or perhaps a freeze cap of sorts covering a hole that would allow one to fit a larger vent tube?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is the top of the vent channel, is it solid aluminum or perhaps a freeze cap of sorts covering a hole that would allow one to fit a larger vent tube?
it looks like a freeze plug. I will post pics later from when I removed my subframe.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts