BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put a single day itinerary together for a few of the individual days. Can the following "single days" be accomplished, or is it too much?

Single Day Itinerary Example 1:

800 hrs - Pick up car at the Welt, tour museum
1200 hrs - leave from welt, drive to Hohenschwangau/Neuschwanstein and either tour the castles or hike the surrounding area
Return to Munich around 1900 hrs

Single Day Itinerary Example 2:

730 hrs - drive to castles (same as above) from Munich, tour and/or hike surrounding area
1100 hrs - drive the romantic road to Rothenberg
1600 hrs - tour Rothenberg, including nightwatchman tour
Return to Munich at end of day

Single Day Itinerary Example 3:

730 hrs - drive to Salzburg from Munich, tour town in AM
1200 hrs - head for Berchtesgaden and hike in PM
Return to Munich

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Yes - if you replace the word tour in every place with "spend an hour".

·
Registered
4,072 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL!! Yeah, kind of feels like that...but could you (or would you want to) spend an entire day exploring the castles/surrounding areas? How about Rothenberg? What I'm trying to figure out are which are the more touristy "checklist" items, and which ones are really worth investing a good amount of time in...does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Only the first one makes sense, but only just!

As has been pointed out by Chris, you are not leaving yourselves anywhere near enough time to see the sights you want to see. If this is your first trip and you only have one day to see something, just go to the castles to get that initial taste of Bavaria and get down to the Hofbrauhaus for dinner & some beer when you get back to Munich!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha - appreciate the feedback - we've got an itinerary that is now 16 days. The original plan was 12-15. We need to find a way to shrink things down a bit (or cross some stuff off the list), so I'm looking for areas where we can condense.

·
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
1,732 Posts
Regarding the Welt, we got there at 10am and left at 4pm. That was an hour before delivery, the delivery, and the factory tour. The museum wasn't even open at that time, so that's even longer!!

And you should keep in mind that the tours at Neuschwanstein aren't all in English, and the travel time between castles isn't short. So make sure you leave enough time to get on the proper tour, plus transport time between castles. We got to Neuschwanstein (by train) around noon one day, and didn't leave until 5:30 or so, including some shopping.

If you post more of your itinerary, I'm sure we all would be happy to help where we can. Besides, I know that I enjoy seeing where everyone else plans to go, so I have ideas for my next!!

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
These days are pretty packed. If you are young, in good shape, well rested, and are more into having 'been there' than taking a good long look and absorbing things, then yes, it can be done. Not back to back, IMO.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll echo what others have said, especially trying to do the "castles" and Rothenberg on the same day. Way too much driving in one day (and I put on over 4,000 miles last summer on an ED). With that said, Rothenberg is definately worth it, even if others call it too touristy. And, you have to do the night watchman tour. The guy is great. Both funny and informative. We did a nice one-night trip to Rothenberg last summer. Stopped in Dinkelsbuhl on the way for lunch (walled town with 7 or 8 towers still intact) and the to Rothenberg. Found a nice pension over a small grocery store in the heart of Rothenberg for not much money. Being in Rothenberg in the evening after most tourists left and early the next morning was a real treat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts