BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
How many miles on it, and what are the driving patterns?

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
A picture of an oil stain on a towel is no way to determine whether or not to change your oil. Better to flip a coin. As edjack siad, mileage and usage pattern are the primary ways to determine if oil needs to be changed. Bottom line, when in doubt, change it up. It does no harm and can do a lot of good.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It just seems very brown, and I just bought the car.
Car was sitting for 2-3 months before I bought it.
I'll change the oil myself then, b.c it sounds like it's NOT life/death. ("Dude, change that oil NOWWWW!")
I'll order the filter and torque wrench and do it next week.
Thanks!

Which oil would you use from here for a NY winter?
http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...tic+oil&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

I think I will get this for disposal purposes.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac..._/N-25yj?counter=4&itemIdentifier=505818_0_0_
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...N-25yj?itemIdentifier=2278&_requestid=1400155

PS: It took my 5 mins. to post the pic.
It would take me at least 45 mins. to jack the car, drain, get the socket, etc.
Oh, and I also need to dispose of the oil... Another trip.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Get a 36 mm socket for the oil filter cap. No need to hog down on the cap; just snugly seat it in the bore. The O-ring does the sealing.

Use only German-made filters. Good kits come with the O-ring and pan plug seal.

Many on this forum like Mobil 1 0w40, but this topic is of a religious nature.

If you have no service records on the car, replace all its bodily fluids. Be ready for a cooling system overhaul.

Schedule a VANOS seal replacement.

·
Under the lift arms
13,091 Posts
oil does have a shelf life...

Id say no at this point but in the next few hours of run time yes..

at least that way you have a reference to when it was last done

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
It just seems very brown, and I just bought the car.
All oil is brown. It's supposed to be brown.

Showing a picture of brown oil on a towel is like showing a picture of red blood on a bandage. It doesn't tell us (or you) anything.

Note: There 'are' some who say you can pinch your index finger and thumb on the oil on the dipstick to check its latent viscosity; but I'm not one of them. As already mentioned, there are places you mail your oil to who provide a complete analysis.

I'll order the filter and torque wrench and do it next week.
Most people don't use a torque wrench - but some do ... and ... others use it to twist the drain bolt in half (ask me how I know).

For details on the oil change, go to the bestlinks and search for it; you'll find, among others:
- How to do a gravity feed oil change (1) & vacuum or drill extraction oil change (1) (2)
- How not to do a gravity feed oil change (1) and how not to do a vacuum extraction oil change (1)

Which oil would you use from here for a NY winter?
Any good quality oil you want.

Do a search for 'what oil' to see how many thousands upon thousands of times that question has been asked.

Here is just one (of very many) approaches for answering that question:
- How to choose the right motor oil for your E39 (by quality, cold-start, warm viscosity, slipperiness, and cost)

Many on this forum like Mobil 1 0w40, but this topic is of a religious nature.
Indeed!
- Motor oil petrolism (1)

If you have no service records on the car, replace all its bodily fluids.
From the bestlinks ...
- Glovebox printout: BMW E39 fluid summary printout for your glovebox (1)
- Motor oil: BMW approved motor oils (pdf) & tribal motor oil recommendations (1) (2) (3) & gravity oil change DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & vacuum extraction DIY (1) (2) (3) & drill pump DIY (1)
- Gasoline: Engine fuel & octane (1) & "The Gasoline FAQ" & top-tier gas stations (1) & Techron additives (1) & how to clean your gas gauge sending unit (1) & mpg calculations (1) how large is the fuel tank and reserve in the E39 (1) & what gasoline to use (1) & how much gas should be left to cool the fuel pump (1) & how to siphon the fuel out of the tank (1) & what is the cost differential between 87 & 91 octane AKI (1)
- MTF: Manual transmission fluid (1) (2) & manual transmission fluid-change DIYs (1) (2) (3)
- ATF: Automatic transmission fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) & automatic transmission fluid & filter DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & torque values (1) & how to find the hidden E39 transmission fluid level dipstick (1) & why ATF gushes out of the fill hole (1) & ZF 5HP19 facts (1)
- PSF: Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1)
- Coolant: Coolant, for engine, automatic transmission, power steering, and AC evaporator cooling (1) & bleeding (1) (2) (3) or refilling DIYs (1)
- Brake & clutch fluid: Brake & clutch hydraulic fluid (1) & recommended E39 brake job "fluids" (1) & how brake bleeding DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- A/C: Air conditioner refrigerant & PAG oil (1) & how to refill your A/C system (1) (2) (3) (4) & what to use to rid yourself of the BMW gym sock stink (1)
- Differential: Rear differential hypoid gear oil (1) & differential fluid change DIYs (1) (2) (3)
- Battery: What battery (1) & what battery maintenance (1) & battery electrolyte (1) & battery replacement DIY (1) (2) (3) & how NOT to change the battery (1) (2) (3)
- Windshield fluid: Windshield washer fluid (1)
- Intensive cleaner: Intensive cleaning system fluid (1)

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
...Showing a picture of brown oil on a towel is like showing a picture of red blood on a bandage. It doesn't tell us (or you) anything. ...
Can someone tell me if my cholesterol is too high?

Sorry...I couldn't resist, Bluebee...your analogy made me laugh out loud and I couldn't get the thought of a bloody bandage out of my head. :rofl::p:rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts