BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped the car off to the dealer last week stating the passenger side door lock sometimes doesn't lock and they said the door modules all checked out fine.

So I threw a video camera in my car and sure enough, it happened again within a week so I could show the dealer the three door locks already down upon pressing the central button with the one passenger-side front door lock remaining up no matter how many times I pushed the center button (without touching any other button).

One or two cycles of the unlock/lock buttons didn't reset the doorlock - but three or four cycles did. Then the car was working the same again. This happened twice within a few days. I have this all on videotape to show the dealer (world's most boring video I'm sure) ... but I noticed I had a passenger each time this happened. I wonder if there is a timing thing ... maybe the passenger is getting out of the car at the wrong time or something.

So that I can arm myself with the most information possible to provide to the dealer (who arleady said there was no problem) ... has this intermittent locking problem on the passenger side front door happened to you?

How did you solve the problem?
What could my passenger possibly be doing wrong?

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
I had that problem on my 2004 X3, and the dealer did replace the door module. If it's so intermittant that it didnt do it when they were trying, then presenting more 'evidence' is what you needed to do. I think the problem is that they have to observe the issue or some evidence of it in order to be authorized to do the warranty repair. Your video tape hopefully will be enough!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your videotape will be useless as BMW will only go by their tests.
If it tests OK when they test it - not when you test it - then they will determine it's ok.
The best bet is to actually break it.
That may seem drastic but it's probably the only way that when they test it it will not work.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I kind of have the opposite problem.
As often as not, the remote signal does not open my driver's side door [your passenger side] and I have to use the key in the door handle to pop the button.
I don't think it has anything to do with the door module, or anything else electronic.
I think it's simply something in the mechanism that's slightly out of line and sticking... or not very well lubed.
I say this because it's more frequent in cold weather or when the car has been standing overnight.
My problem is maybe less worrying than yours because my car locks fine. There's no danger of it being left unlocked...it just doesn't always want to let me in :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.