BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a question for fellow E90 owners with dogs. We have recently acquired an especially lovable Chihuahua mix dog; he weighs about 13 pounds and loves riding in our 335i. Earlier today he was sitting in the front passenger seat, and the seat belt alarm and warning light appeared for a few seconds and then went away by itself. I always thought that the sensor required a fairly heavy weight (25+ pounds) to be activated, and this little fellow should not qualify. Has anyone had similar experiences with small-to-medium size dogs?

P.S. He sometimes steps on the iDrive controller keys with amusing results. I am training him to stay seated and fairly motionless in that passenger seat position.

· Registered
330 Posts
My dog (a Norwegian Elkhound) started setting off the alarm around 20 lbs, although it depends on how he is sitting. A few ideas...I just pull the seat belt around the seat from the back and buckle it in. You could also get a dummy buckle from a junk yard or if you search Amazon for "B007PEB44U" you'll find some fancy BMW-logo'd buckles for $7. I eventually decided the rear seat is a better place for my pup most of the time now that he's 30+ lbs. and I also use a Kurgo car safety harness, which I highly recommend.

· Registered
10,963 Posts
Just a question for fellow E90 owners with dogs. We have recently acquired an especially lovable Chihuahua mix dog; he weighs about 13 pounds and loves riding in our 335i. Earlier today he was sitting in the front passenger seat, and the seat belt alarm and warning light appeared for a few seconds and then went away by itself. I always thought that the sensor required a fairly heavy weight (25+ pounds) to be activated, and this little fellow should not qualify. Has anyone had similar experiences with small-to-medium size dogs?

P.S. He sometimes steps on the iDrive controller keys with amusing results. I am training him to stay seated and fairly motionless in that passenger seat position.
My car's passenger seat sets off the seat belt alarm with a gallon of milk and a few other groceries...QUITE ANNOYING to me. I've been meaning to post about this annoyance. If my trip is somewhat long...I have to pull over and connect the damn seat belt.

· wooohooo
2,911 Posts
You could also get a dummy buckle from a junk yard or if you search Amazon for "B007PEB44U" you'll find some fancy BMW-logo'd buckles for $7.
Thanks for the tip, I'm actually considering getting one. $8, free shipping. It's rare when I forget to buckle up with something sitting large in the seat, but when I do, it's pretty annoying to have to deal with that. This is probably a waste of money, but then again it could be really nice to have for those rare occasions. I'm being wishy washy right now.

Just recently I got my mom a do-everything laser MFP that wouldn't fit in the trunk, so put it on the seat, remembered the seat belt thing, no way the belt will go around the very large box, so lifted it out and balanced it on one leg with one hand (I didn't want to rest it on the ground, for fear of transferring dirt), grabbed the buckle with the other hand, pulling it in an extreme fashion away from the car, maintaining this tension while clicking it in . . . I could avoid this kind of PITA as well. :D

I also noticed this one for $10 from the same vendor.

· Registered
904 Posts
You love your dog, he belongs in the rear seat. Safer for all concerned.

You can always train him to put his head between the seats to get a head rub.

· Not Here Anymore
5,311 Posts
Dunno! Noticed when in a hurry; didn't want to stop & move stuff to the floor. Darned if it didn't do that several diff trips.
Bummer. I hate how it endlessly chimes. I can understand a reminder chime which eventually stops. I'm a big boy and don't need a vehicle nagging me endlessly to tell me to put on a seat belt. I wonder if there's a way to code this so it stops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.