BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is this annoying sound coming from when it***8217;s cold out?

I thought it had to deal with my lower control arms (wish bones) they were bad so i replaced them and sound is still there only when the car is cold or cold outside. Pretty much goes away after a long drive or if it***8217;s already warm outside.

video:
https://vimeo.com/320841258

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Take the kick panel out and lube the all thread, linkage and any moving parts on the steering column .

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the kick panel out and lube the all thread, linkage and any moving parts on the steering column .
roger that ! will do that now thanks :thumbup:

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMG_3375.jpg
IMG_3374.jpg
IMG_3373.jpg

these are the locations i spray lithium grease at (good amount too)

but i think i found the issue, after doing the above i went to tighten the strut bar and on the driver side as i was tightening i heard it flex a little and it made that exact same sound.

went ahead and tightened the other bolts only two were loose (driver,passenger).

will check and see if any thing changes in the morning from a cold start, car is a bit warm already and it’s not making the sound since it’s warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wasnt able to see video but I also have a sound coming from center of dash witch I have looked up and from sounds of it it's the struts rubber bushing rubbing on the washer plates in the mounts. Actually just got car back from my indy shop and he told me its usual after replacing strut mounts if they where not torqued right (my bad) but it's strange because in the summer/spring I NEVER he as r it and now that it's cold I hear it every time I turn into driveway as y or parking spot. So I guess I will be taking things back apart and retorque everything.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sounds like the upper strut mounts to me. Put you hand on top of the strut mount under the hood and have someone turn the wheel.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the upper strut mounts to me. Put you hand on top of the strut mount under the hood and have someone turn the wheel.
ill try this,

but would spraying some grease work temp? if so is there a way to get the grease up in there without taking off the struts...

i cant wait for the weather to warm up, it goes away :(

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

im thinking if i can find a way to spray a good amount in this area from jacking the car up, and let it soak/seep into the rubber without taking off the strut completely

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Trying to spray it with something is not gonna work. The only cure is replacement of the upper strut mounts if that is what is indeed making the noise

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trying to spray it with something is not gonna work. The only cure is replacement of the upper strut mounts if that is what is indeed making the noise
i know thats the cure but how would I even know if that is actually what I need, at least spraying it would give me a sign if it makes the noise go away temp.

so in the summer time how would u know that you need new strut mounts if the noise is completely gone throughout the warm season ? what are other signs of strut failure ?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
This is not a failure of the actual strut, just the top mount. As I stated earlier having someone else turn the steering wheel while you are feeling the top of each strut should make it evident where the noise is if it is the mount. Trying to spray anything into the mount is futile as you will not be able to get any lube where it needs to be without taking everything apart and even so the lube is not going to soak into the rubber to quiet it but it will cause the rubber to deteriorate at an accelerated pace.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i know thats the cure but how would I even know if that is actually what I need, at least spraying it would give me a sign if it makes the noise go away temp.

so in the summer time how would u know that you need new strut mounts if the noise is completely gone throughout the warm season ? what are other signs of strut failure ?
Good points eburnz! I would do the same. Just like spraying a bit of water on pulleys when they make noise. Same concept. Worth a try.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i decided to spray some grease on top of the struts mounts in the engine bay and inside the dust cap where the bearings are and this is the result after 1 day of sitting

cold start 32.f :
https://vimeo.com/321271674

no dolphin sound anymore just a slight rub sound because of the cold but seems the sound is now gone either it’s warm or cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just an update, sound hasn’t come back and temps were dropped to 19.f

so either those 3 spots i sprayed took time to seep in or the strut mount on the driver side is bad.

driver side is where the sound was coming from. so if strut mount is “bad” wouldn’t both be bad too?

·
Registered
964 Posts
just an update, sound hasn’t come back and temps were dropped to 19.f

so either those 3 spots i sprayed took time to seep in or the strut mount on the driver side is bad.

driver side is where the sound was coming from. so if strut mount is “bad” wouldn’t both be bad too?

What type of spray did you use? I'm curious to try it on mine. But I replaced my strut mounts and struts a year ago in spring time and the noise I get only happens in cold I have noticed. I'm assuming its ether not torqued properly witch would probably be the case considering I did them myself so no one to blame other then me lol. Lesson learned.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What type of spray did you use? I'm curious to try it on mine. But I replaced my strut mounts and struts a year ago in spring time and the noise I get only happens in cold I have noticed. I'm assuming its ether not torqued properly witch would probably be the case considering I did them myself so no one to blame other then me lol. Lesson learned.

WD - lithium grease

I didnt have to remove the struts, I just sprayed around the dust cap area and inside the dust cap where the bearings are, same day sound didnt go away but next day it was gone in the morning...

give it a shot, wouldn't hurt anything !

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yeah I sprayed some penetrating oil in same spots on both sides. If it doesnt go away this spring I will take mounts back out maybe upgrade them..

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I sprayed some penetrating oil in same spots on both sides. If it doesnt go away this spring I will take mounts back out maybe upgrade them..

I also sprayed in the kick panel as well, might wanna spray there too in the 3 spots i pointed out, as your last resort, before replacing the mounts..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts