BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya new to forum and need help- drive a 93 318is coupe , problem being i have s***ed stock dome light with a 328 light with map lights but connectors differ and i cant get the map lights to work? any advise most welcome thanks.:dunno:

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Yes, the connectors are different, you need to splice into a 'hot' purple/white wire up from under the dash and route it to the roof since the map light requires additional power. It's not something you can do unless you know about electronics.

I have seen a self-help guide about retrofitting the map light, but I can't find it anymore, so I don't know the exact details. Basically it's going to require adding new wire/wires, soldering them, and changing the connectors. Is that something you can do? If not, forget about it.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
The other thing is that you'd have to route the wire through up the side pillars and into and behind the headliner to get to the maplight, following the path of the original connector. That may be tricky to do as well.

And Welcome to the forum :)

Do you have an analogue clock? If so, it's an easy job to put in the 7 button digital clock and temp display as a nice retrofit, I did it all myself and I'm no electrician. I wanted to do the map light retrofit but it seemed too much of a pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great thanks for your advise will try to get it working tomorow will let you know how i get on. then i will get the upgrade for clock as you suggest many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first thanks for taking the time to answer my post, and i reckon i can now get my lights working . i only need to know is pin 1 on the left of the stock connector or right - or what colour wire goes to pin 2 or 5 so i can identify pins 1-6
many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
followed youre instructions this morning took 2 minutes to connect up map lights , thanks for your input, well impresed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts