BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After multiple attempts to get the tranny problem fixed we are turning the '07 back in as the 2 year (thank God we did that) lease has run out.

Have found the GLK to be in every way a superior ride (cheaper too) ..... and bet it won't have transmission problems.......

Adios BMW.....probably see you in Lemon Law arbitration!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry to see you go, BJ. How much were your monthly payments and your initial down payment for your X3 may I ask? Please update us on what you've found on your new GLK. Are you leasing again?

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Bye-bye!
:roundel:

·
Registered
108 Posts
After multiple attempts to get the tranny problem fixed we are turning the '07 back in as the 2 year (thank God we did that) lease has run out.

Have found the GLK to be in every way a superior ride (cheaper too) ..... and bet it won't have transmission problems.......

Does it handle as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to see you go, BJ. How much were your monthly payments and your initial down payment for your X3 may I ask? Please update us on what you've found on your new GLK. Are you leasing again?
I was paying $611 for a 15K lease on the X3....the GLK is $5./mo less...but for a 39 month term...$0. down on either ....

I'll probably go with an 18k lease this time and by the way the residual is just 51%.....a decent buyout at the end. The X3 buyout is the same as what I can buy a BRAND NEW Lexus RX for!

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
ok we said bye already....:mad:

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
I was paying $611 for a 15K lease on the X3....the GLK is $5./mo less...but for a 39 month term...$0. down on either ....

I'll probably go with an 18k lease this time and by the way the residual is just 51%.....a decent buyout at the end. The X3 buyout is the same as what I can buy a BRAND NEW Lexus RX for!
Did you get a maintenance quote for the 39 month term? Just curious. How much is a brake job for front and rears on the GLK? 30k service? Wiper Blades? Oil service? Microfilter?

So much for that $5 diff. :eeps:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I don't blame you for getting the GLK

Let's face it, the current generation X3 is long in the tooth and has been for a long time.

It is a nice vehicle but is well past its prime.

And contrary to what most X3 owners claim, the handling isn't all that great (read any of the other sub-categories here and everyone says its not a real BMW, etc). Its good for a cute ute, but of course it can't even come close to the handling of a BMW sedan, and the ride sure is bouncy and choppy.

Our 2006 X3 is ok, it has been a fine vehicle for my wife but I must admit we do not LOVE it, it is just ok...

Most importantly, the current X3 approaches nearly $50k and the lease rates are horrible, and the residual values are atrocious (41% :yikes:) so why would anyone buy/lease one at this point?

·
Pundit
2,512 Posts
Did you get a maintenance quote for the 39 month term? Just curious. How much is a brake job for front and rears on the GLK? 30k service? Wiper Blades? Oil service? Microfilter?

So much for that $5 diff. :eeps:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You use that one on customers all the time don't you? :thumbup:

·
Pundit
2,512 Posts

GLK looks hot...congrats.

Post some pics when you get a chance....maybe not in the X3 Forum...:eek:

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
Except I hope to LIKE the car I'm driving!

Thanks for the sales pitch..........
While I'm sorry for your X3 troubles, it's not a surprise that you'd gravitate to the GLK after your woeful tranny experience.

One should only hope that MBZ bring their game on after getting to the small lux SUV market way late.

No sales pitch needed. You're a GLK owner now, so I just wanted to be sure you had the maintenance factored in to your overall budget. :)

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts

Let's face it, the current generation X3 is long in the tooth and has been for a long time.

And contrary to what most X3 owners claim, the handling isn't all that great (read any of the other sub-categories here and everyone says its not a real BMW, etc). Its good for a cute ute, but of course it can't even come close to the handling of a BMW sedan, and the ride sure is bouncy and choppy.

Our 2006 X3 is ok, it has been a fine vehicle for my wife but I must admit we do not LOVE it, it is just ok...

Most importantly, the current X3 approaches nearly $50k and the lease rates are horrible, and the residual values are atrocious (41% :yikes:) so why would anyone buy/lease one at this point?
Agreed.:thumbup: In terms of overall function and purpose and simply being in the BMW family, it has served your needs well. I suppose compared to other small SUV's, I can see where avid X3 owners are proud of their X3's handling prowess.

I agree with you on the lease deals. :tsk: The 08's had phenomenal programs and then they shut the faucet on the 09's. We'll see what happens in the next coupla months.

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts

Agreed.:thumbup: In terms of overall function and purpose and simply being in the BMW family, it has served your needs well. I suppose compared to other small SUV's, I can see where avid X3 owners are proud of their X3's handling prowess.

I agree with you on the lease deals. :tsk: The 08's had phenomenal programs and then they shut the faucet on the 09's. We'll see what happens in the next coupla months.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You use that one on customers all the time don't you? :thumbup:
:bigpimp: Why wouldn't I? It can be acknowledged that the GLK is definitely a nice car, but when you compare costs of ownership over three or four years... ahh, nevermind.:angel:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Pilotman wrote:
"And contrary to what most X3 owners claim, the handling isn't all that great (read any of the other sub-categories here and everyone says its not a real BMW, etc). Its good for a cute ute, but of course it can't even come close to the handling of a BMW sedan, and the ride sure is bouncy and choppy."

I just have to respond to that because it gets tossed around so much. I think it matters what you are comparing the X3 to for you to say anything bad about its handling. Now I have an 08 and I know things were changed greatly in the 07 makeover. But I came from driving an allroad, a Honda CR-V and a toyota minivan. Of all those cars the cr-v probably had the best engineered ride between compliance and firmness. The audi was fine over most conditions, but was easily disturbed by small imperfections especially mid bend and at high speed. There was no compliance at all. The X is lightyears ahead of the allroad and cr-v. Compliance with the standard 17 inch pirellis and std suspension is excellent and the car really does not get thrown off by mid corner imperfections. I find it plent sporty and good at high speed maneuvers. So while it may not be better than a BMW sedan, it is still dang good and better than most other cars, let alone SUVs even tho its design/origins may be nearly 10 years old. Lets not forget that that design (e46) was a pretty good one. Why would anyone buy/lease one now? Simple -- only nice suv with a Stick. The cayenne doesnt count. Its a 5200lb pigboat with a porsche sign on it that guzzles gas and has little more room than the X3. Oh and its stick is worse than its automatic. Sorry -- just a sloppy engineering job imo.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts