Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics from this morning's paper. The driver was racing another car over the Pali Highway came to the first turn outside the tunnels and went over the embankment.:yikes: Beer bottles in the car. 35 years old and a recent law school graduate.

Attachments

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
No seatbelt either. The story said the driver was ejected from the car and ended up underneath it. And that they want to talk to the guy he was racing.

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cliff3 said:
No seatbelt either. The story said the driver was ejected from the car and ended up underneath it. And that they want to talk to the guy he was racing.

About 18 months ago two cars were racing on the freeway and one hit a truck that was setting up the HOV lane for the morning rush hour, almost vaporized the car.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Always glad to see idiots removing themselves from the gene pool and not hurting others in the process.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Always glad to see idiots removing themselves from the gene pool and not hurting others in the process.
:stupid:

His life was going to come to an end in a blaze of stupidity sooner or later. The less colateral damage the better.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
vexed said:
35 years old and a recent law school graduate.
Hope he aced 'Wills & Trusts'

·
Save the Males!
1,368 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
You just described perfectly the qualifications for a Darwin Award, and I think that this award goes to the 350z driver.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Makes me wonder about the other driver though. I wonder if they will turn themselves in.

Reminds me of one time taking a hard corner in a tunnell in Seattle. I wasnt racing anyone, but I took this corner at the highest speed I could regularly as it was on my way home and it is banked perfect for the way my car handles. Well one day I took it fast as ever and looked in my rearview. Apparantly a Honda Civic was coming hot on me before the corner and never slowed down. Im sure they didnt die but they messed that Civic up good. I felt kinda bad because if I had slowed down for the corner, the guy behind me would have had too also. Which kinda sucks. When driving pretty much anything I find myself having to drive for the idiots behind me. I swear at least 70% of people dont understand true braking distance. Its either someone following too close or some brake happy lunatic seeing just how hard they can push their brake pedal without hitting ABS.

Considering the ever growing traffic levels and lack of infrastructure to support it, unless they raise the standards or costs for driving, in a few more years it is going to be hardly worth my time.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
misterlance said:
Reminds me of one time taking a hard corner in a tunnell in Seattle. I wasnt racing anyone, but I took this corner at the highest speed I could regularly as it was on my way home and it is banked perfect for the way my car handles. Well one day I took it fast as ever and looked in my rearview. Apparantly a Honda Civic was coming hot on me before the corner and never slowed down. Im sure they didnt die but they messed that Civic up good. I felt kinda bad because if I had slowed down for the corner, the guy behind me would have had too also. Which kinda sucks. When driving pretty much anything I find myself having to drive for the idiots behind me. I swear at least 70% of people dont understand true braking distance. Its either someone following too close or some brake happy lunatic seeing just how hard they can push their brake pedal without hitting ABS.
Well, I have to say this: If you weren't personally engaged with the other driver, you have no responsibility for what happened. Far too many people don't know the limits of their cars or the limit of their driving skill.

And having driven through Seattle at different times of day, I have to say that your traffic sucks. Even compared to the stuff we have here in the Bay Area. I might not drive weekdays if I had to deal with that stuff on a daily basis.

·
Don't worry, be happy
11,616 Posts
The older I get (I'm 37 now), the more I realize how uninvincible we all really are.

I drive my crazy-fast car like a normal person, I no longer want to play football after a broken wrist, and I am cognizant of my own mortality more now than ever before.

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
you could be Michael Schumacher but if the other schmuck can't drive you can still go down over it :tsk:

street racing is for idiots :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I read this over at my forum too.. sad story. I doubt a single person on this forum hasn't done somethin stupid and similar, sucks when someone has to pay for it with their lives.

But the beer in the car thing is inexcusable.. kinda tips the scales of fate with that one.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Moderato said:
So worthless, 35 years, all that time in law school, and then you go and do that? :confused: :dunno:

I thought law school was about 3 years? In fact, piano restoration school is just as long as law school. That isn't very long, when compared to Medschool.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
SmoothCruise said:
I thought law school was about 3 years? In fact, piano restoration school is just as long as law school. That isn't very long, when compared to Medschool.
Shouldve gone to piano restoration school :mad:

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
SmoothCruise said:
Yeah, but either way it's a waste. I feel worse for the guy's family and loved ones than I do for him though.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
LA525iT said:
Shouldve gone to piano restoration school :mad:

Yeah, but I doubt you'd make as much money restoring pianos as you would a doctor or lawyer. Although, I would find restoring grand pianos to be just as satisfying.

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
Jetpilot718 said:
I read this over at my forum too.. sad story. I doubt a single person on this forum hasn't done somethin stupid and similar, sucks when someone has to pay for it with their lives.

But the beer in the car thing is inexcusable.. kinda tips the scales of fate with that one.

Very well said. I was going to post something similar, too. The beer (if he's found to be under the influence) and NO seat belt stopped me. Very sad indeed. :tsk:

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Jetpilot718 said:

Maybe I'm just a cold hearted bastard but I feel absolutely no empathy. Hell, driving without a seatbelt seals it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts