BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my recently acquired 99 2.8 Coupe, I was getting a momentary lag when I'd pull out on the Interstate, mostly in 1st & 2nd gears. The "stumble" was increasing and it was when the car was also warmed up (Not the S52 M stumble).
Last night when I was getting gas, the gas pump nozzle stuck open and in a second, gas was overflowing and running down the side of my car. (F%#$?!!). The fuel pocket was completely full and some drained back into the tank. After that incident I would get a lag/stumble each time I pressed the accelerator pedal.
OK.. it must be a fuel supply problem-dirty fuel filter.
I installed a new fuel filter, fired it up and zero stumble, fast crisp acceleration. The car had 30K miles and the original fuel filter so for about $15 its worth the 20 minutes to swap it out.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,614 Posts
Did you have to drain the lizard, I mean, the gas tank to install the fuel filter? How about disposal of the filter?

·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I put a plastic oil pan under the filter, loosened the clamps and pulled off the OUT line (To engine) first. I had a few drops come out. The line wasn't under any pressure.
On the IN side from the fuel tank, I was expecting a steady flow but only got a few drops, but I also held my finger over the line and swapped filters quickly. Keep a pan nearby to put the old filter in because about 1/2-1 pint of gas is inside the filter.
I changed the filter in the AM after the car sat overnight so if there was any pressure in the fuel line it had decreased from setting 12 hours (?).

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,047 Posts
elfhearse said:
No, I put a plastic oil pan under the filter, loosened the clamps and pulled off the OUT line (To engine) first. I had a few drops come out. The line wasn't under any pressure.
On the IN side from the fuel tank, I was expecting a steady flow but only got a few drops, but I also held my finger over the line and swapped filters quickly. Keep a pan nearby to put the old filter in because about 1/2-1 pint of gas is inside the filter.
I changed the filter in the AM after the car sat overnight so if there was any pressure in the fuel line it had decreased from setting 12 hours (?).
Hmm.... My car is a 97 and there's always notices to depressurize the fuel system before doing anything else when changing the fuel filter.... I thought those things always stay pressurized.... :dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.