BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Sleeper Wagon
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is still under factory warranty and free maintenance. When I took it in the dealership for an oil change, I asked them to check the f/r brakes, even though iDrive said they weren't due for service for another 10K miles (which made sense because I drive mostly highway miles). SA called back and said the brake sensor was completely worn down and will be replacing f/r pads and rotors. :cool:

Since this dealership had done my previous oil change in March ~7K miles ago under factory maintenance, I was planning on paying for a "interim" oil change -- even though iDrive told me it wasn't needed. However, when the SA read my key he said I was due for an oil change and they would take care of it.:D

This dealership (BMW of Bridgewater NJ) just moved into their (suprisingly modest) new site from the old one in Hunterdon County. The service dept is trying to steal customers from BMW of Morristown and Flemington and are going out of their way to make customers happy. I'd highly recommend them. Service Manger is Michelle Sellers.:thumbup:

Now, if I can get them to replace the sparkplugs before the end of February when free maintenance ends, that will take care of things for a while...;)

· Registered
3,074 Posts
Phoenix that is a great dealer. Good pointer on the brakes - I will see what I can do with my dealer. My dealership just relocated their service department to a new building so I am hoping they will try to be so accomodating as well.

· U of Dawgs
2,457 Posts
Those rotors are expensive. I wish mine wore out that fast... it must be the braking habit. Since I replaced my pads to ceramics, I had been measuring the rotor thickness hoping I can get the free rotor change. No such luck, short of removing them and placing them on a lathe I don't think I will get a free set of rotors. :(

Phoenix1: My SA when I was at 42K said that I was out of the window for the 45K plugs change. He stated that if I can add another 1.5K that he will do it as it would then be within the "window". I think it all depends on the dealerships. There is no magic percentage window...

· Registered
1,523 Posts
My dealer replaced the plugs on my 550i at 41K with my normal oil change service; I was not expecting that, and in fact, I'm still a bit unsure that this was required (everything I read is the 45K interval doesn't apply to the 550, only the turbo 6 engine). But, I'm not complaining.

My i-drive is telling me I still have around 15K left on brakes, but I've noticed by back brakes are starting to squeek. I've got to go back to the dealer to have them fix the sunroof seal that they recently replaced, so I'm going to have them look at the brakes at the same time.

Keith

· U of Dawgs
2,457 Posts
Camp... looks like you got yourself a confused SA. I would keep going back to him for scheduled services. Now if you have real issues that may not be a good thing. LOL.

· <- Bailey
45,761 Posts
Camp... looks like you got yourself a confused SA. I would keep going back to him for scheduled services. Now if you have real issues that may not be a good thing. LOL.
No, I bet not confused.

My own SA was always willing to get whatever service he could out of the warranty. I got new front brakes, a few oil changes, regular wipers, he always knew what to complain about in the 'customer says' segment.

Some dealers have figured out that customers are happy with new stuff, and BMW will pay for it anyway, so it is a win win for them.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
My car is still under factory warranty and free maintenance. When I took it in the dealership for an oil change, I asked them to check the f/r brakes, even though iDrive said they weren't due for service for another 10K miles (which made sense because I drive mostly highway miles). SA called back and said the brake sensor was completely worn down and will be replacing f/r pads and rotors. :cool:
Did the rotors actually need to be replaced?

· Sleeper Wagon
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did the rotors actually need to be replaced?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure if the rotors needed to be replaced. From postings here, it seems that BMW will always replace the rotors when new pads are installed whether they need to be or not. If that's their policy, then let them go for it. I only wish they provided an option for low dust ceramic pads rather than OEM, but I'm not going to worry too much when its free.:thumbup:

Now if I was out of free maintance and needed pads, I would go to an indy and replace them with ceraminc pads and only do the rotors if needed.

· Premium Member
1,274 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure if the rotors needed to be replaced. From postings here, it seems that BMW will always replace the rotors when new pads are installed whether they need to be or not. If that's their policy, then let them go for it. I only wish they provided an option for low dust ceramic pads rather than OEM, but I'm not going to worry too much when its free.:thumbup:

Now if I was out of free maintance and needed pads, I would go to an indy and replace them with ceraminc pads and only do the rotors if needed.
You are correct. I had my brakes replaced with rotors and pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.