BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a while .... too long. Had an E39 and had to sell it about 5 years ago, but I digress.....

Got the bug again, looking for a 3 series. Found a 2011 328i at a B Lot dealer, :eek: but they say it's a one owner car (vincheck vouches for this) and that they have all the maintenance receipts. Owner put in a Vortech V3, Supercharger, along with a new tune, and upgraded exhaust. All work done by a very reputable Indy shop that specializes in BMW's.

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. If the mod's take too much away from it's BMWness, I will take a pass.

That said, if it does put a grin on my face, does anyone have any LONG TERM experience with a supercharger? What kind of maintenance needs does it require over stock? How does it affect the maintenance off all the other cars bits? Any clue on what it would cost to bring it back to stock?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A 328i with a SC? Definitely a "no" from me...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Any clue on what it would cost to bring it back to stock?
I wouldn't bring it back to stock. Either you like the supercharger, or you don't. You don't know the additional abuse / wear that has occurred with the supercharger installed. If you're going to keep it, then fine, understand what you're buying and the risks you're taking (not saying I wouldn't personally, but certainly I would carefully evaluate). But I wouldn't buy the car with the intent to return it to stock. I'd just find a car that's been kept stock.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,280 Posts
If it puts a grin on your face, go looking for a 335. From what I can see online at ESS tuning, the Vortech gets an N52 near, but not up to, an N54 or N55. Past the issue with not knowing how the car's been treated in the past, if you're looking at automatic transmissions a 335 will come with a ZF transmission built to take the power instead of one from GM that may not be.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I really want a 328i, and in a manual. Those are hard to come by in these parts that don't have a gajillion miles. One of the things I really loved about my old e39 was that sweet, sweet power plant....soo silky smooth. Which is why I asked what it would take to bring it back to stock. That said, didn't get a chance to look at it.

Scheduled this weekend to take a look at another 328i, low miles, stock. But it is a stripper by most standards...base radio, no heated seats, no blue tooth. Does have low miles though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize you could even buy an E90 with no heated seats.
I thought that was a bit bizarre, but when I put the VIN into the BMW VIN check, the option did not come up. They did have a pic of the center of the dash, and did not see the heated seat buttons where I expected them to be :dunno:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I thought that was a bit bizarre, but when I put the VIN into the BMW VIN check, the option did not come up. They did have a pic of the center of the dash, and did not see the heated seat buttons where I expected them to be :dunno:
Weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird. I've personally never seen an E90 328i without heated seats. Not in person, not listed in any online ad.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I'd do a quick follow up..... test drove both cars. Yes, the stripper was, in fact, a stripper; no heated seats, no blue tooth, stock radio. The lady who was selling it said when she bought it she wanted a light colored car in a stick - this one was shipped from FL .... guess why they weren't too concerned about heated seats. Needed tires all the way around too, so took a pass.

Also test drove the one with the supercharger. The power put a grin on my face, but the buzzy aftermarket exhaust was a buzz kill. Not to mention the suspension felt like it needed a complete refresh. Why someone would spend ~ $5,000 on performance upgrades (all the work was done in the last two years) and ignore the worn out suspension doesn't compute...with me.

Will be taking a look at a low mile 2010 x drive this weekend, also low miles, but it does have some extra goodies (e.g heated seats, and blue tooth).

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Watch out for the extra terrible base no amp no tweeter stereo
on the 2010 to 2011.5

You would be asking for big maintenance and probably bad mpg's on
the supercharged one.

Also stay away from the low emissons N51 engine unless you think BMW
will honor the warranty on it . Some have gotten into disputes if they
are buying second hand even if in a Sulev state.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517476

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a SULEV engine...so I am good there. Took a pass on the supercharger.

The one I'm going to look at is a very low mile 2 owner car, and the current owner has had it since 2012...looks clean, so am going cash in hand to be prepared.

These are the option codes I pulled from the BMW vin decoder. Does this have the "no amp no base" radio of which you speak?

Also, if my research is correct, the S639A means it has bluetooth; correct? I just want to be able to make/receive phone calls and access my contacts....don't need streaming capabilities. Am I correct that I will have this functionality with this option code?

S645A BMW US Radio
S663A***8194;Radio BMW Professional
S693A***8194;Preparation BMW satellite radio
S697A***8194;Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6FLA***8194;USB/Audio interface
S639A***8194;Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I don't see option 676 or 677 which is the Hi Fi and Top Hi Fi
sound system with amp and tweeters so that is the POS
sound system.

Preparation just means the wiring for the option is already installed.
Doesn't mean its there.

Steering wheel buttons do not mean the option they describe is installed.
If you press the phone button and it doesn't do anything you don't have the option.
If you press menu on the pro rado and it doesn't display a phone symbol the option
is not installed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXOSmSou91E

Frankly 2010 was the year of de contenting.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435080&highlight=disappointed

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't see option 676 or 677 which is the Hi Fi and Top Hi Fi
sound system with amp and tweeters so that is the POS
sound system.

Preparation just means the wiring for the option is already installed.
Doesn't mean its there.

Frankly 2010 was the year of de contenting.
That is a serious bummer...heck my 2011 VW CC has bluetooth AND a really good stock sound system. Nooo, not a BMW, but one would think that a +$40k sticker car would have the same level of options of a $30k car made in the same country (all CC's were built in Germany even though they are based off of the Passat platform which is made in TN for the U.S. market).

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
The sound system on my e46 was very good . I did
buy the upgrade on that one.
The used e91 I bought had the Hi Fi I figured because they
called it the premium system that is was the best however
there are two levels above it . 1500 bucks in equipment later I have
and awsome system . Also I self installed it.
You pretty much always have to add 10k in options to a BMW to get
it to luxury car territory.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
If it puts a grin on your face, go looking for a 335. From what I can see online at ESS tuning, the Vortech gets an N52 near, but not up to, an N54 or N55. Past the issue with not knowing how the car's been treated in the past, if you're looking at automatic transmissions a 335 will come with a ZF transmission built to take the power instead of one from GM that may not be.
This would be my concern.

·
Chillin'
110 Posts
Weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird. I've personally never seen an E90 328i without heated seats. Not in person, not listed in any online ad.
My '09 has nav, sport pack, manual, HK audio... no heated seats. I even checked the control box under the seats themselves and there are no heating elements present. So the car is pretty loaded, but without heated seats! Carfax says it was originally ordered and sold in Arizona, which sort of explains it to me!

Back to the original thread!

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,280 Posts
My '09 has nav, sport pack, manual, HK audio... no heated seats. I even checked the control box under the seats themselves and there are no heating elements present. So the car is pretty loaded, but without heated seats! Carfax says it was originally ordered and sold in Arizona, which sort of explains it to me!!
In 2009, you only got heated seats if you ordered the car with the ZCW Cold Weather package.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I pulled the trigger and bought the one I went to look at this weekend. The good: 2010 328i xdrive with 57k miles, same owner since 2012, no accidents, clean carfax, almost new goodyears on all 4 corners, 6spd manual (that was a requirement). Realize that x drive does not appeal to purists, however, living in Michigan, all wheel drive is appreciated a good 4 mos out of the year, so that was a plus in my book. Put about 400 miles on it since I bought it - car runs and handles perfectly. It does have blue tooth to do phone convo's, and it does have heated seats :)

The bad, NO documentation...heck, doesn't even have an owners manual (just ordered one off of Ebay), scratches on the drivers side pass. door from minivan parked in the same garage...might be able to buff these out...will see. I did not do a PPI. In my close to 35 years of driving, I've probably bought and sold in the neighborhood of 40-45 cars.... good, bad or indifferent, I have relied on my own inspection capability, and have only got burned once or twice.

All that aid, tit's good to be behind the wheel of a BMW again :) My only gripe is why they did away with a temp gauge and a dipstick; I get the first owner (who most likely leases for 2 years) my not care, or need these, however, as the car gets older than 5 years, it's good to have these simple tools to prevent catastrophic problems.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks like a good outcome. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts