BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did some donuts in a nice empty slick parking lot and was wondering what i could or ruined on my car? i was listening for weird noises and of course i found some but im sure they were always there. could a donut ruin a differential? im not worried about tires, i have a 4.10 LSD and it spins donuts in first no problem. I didn't rev it high and i didn't floor it but at the end of the donut the car was moving back words because of the momentum but the wheels were spinning forward how bad is that? cant a bmw handle a donut? this is a really stupid question but im just curious.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
well you can ruin alot of stuff. ive seen broken axels, driveshafts, leaf springs, blown trannys, and of course, many burnt out clutches. but if you know what youre doin and get teh tires wet before starting, you can do little more than the normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my donut wasn't anything extreme no clouds of smoke just lots of tire screeching. my rpms never went above 3000rpm . i didn't catch traction suddenly i just drove it out of the donut, ive been doing donuts for years in the snow but thats a different story. the asphalt in the parking lot was extremely slick for asphault.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
i never done a donut under 3k, it was always about 4k+ to limiter and left the sickest cloud. not in my bmw, but both my friends trucks, drag car, and fiat. that fiat never saw that coming. poor fiat.

·
Smokey!Smokey!
147 Posts
If there were anything that could go wrong while doing a donut it would more than likely be driveline failure or axles. If anything did go wrong you would notice it right away. I've been drifting my e30 with a welded diff for quite some time now...not recently since I threw a rod :( but for a couple of years. The most wear I noticed were all or most of the bushings on the rear control arms and subframe area wore out pretty quickly through all the stress, but I'm not too worried as they were really old anyway.

-Jon

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got my mark d chip and its a real tire spinner now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey slideNe30 how do u weld the diff?? I wanna do mine but don't know how!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey slideNe30 how do u weld the diff?? I wanna do mine but don't know how!
y dont u just get an LSD? both tires are locked most of the time, and aren't welded diffs illegal? and dont they make handling worse?

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
aren't welded diffs illegal? and dont they make handling worse?
no theyre legal, but its the same thing as a locker. as long as youre goin around a corner fast enough, you wont notice, its the slow sharp corners that cause the inside wheel to hop. ever drive the grandpas work truck, and go around the corner to this weird hopping/popping noise? yep thats a locker.

·
Smokey!Smokey!
147 Posts
y dont u just get an LSD? both tires are locked most of the time, and aren't welded diffs illegal? and dont they make handling worse?
An aftermarket LSD is what I'm aiming for...specifically a KAAZ 2-way lsd with the 16 plate adjustable. I welded the open diff for the mean time. I prefer not going to a stocker lsd because they over heat and act like an open diff when in prolonged drifting sessions. At a drift day event or competition the stocker over heats and becomes very unpredictable and the lock up progressively gets worse after each run and the initial lock up is pretty weak...for heavy drifting imo.

As far as making the car handle worse, its a lot better than open thats for sure. The problem with an aftermarket 2-way or welding the diff is that while road racing, while in a turn, if you let off the throttle the rear end gets really light and wants to come out...very easily. Sudden off throttle lifts unsettle the car, especially the rear, and in turn will make the rear step out...but for drifting thats kind of what you want :thumbup:. Even if my car is an e30e with crap power a welded diff makes it so much easier to drift especially around low speed turns.

-Jon

·
Smokey!Smokey!
147 Posts
no theyre legal, but its the same thing as a locker. as long as youre goin around a corner fast enough, you wont notice, its the slow sharp corners that cause the inside wheel to hop. ever drive the grandpas work truck, and go around the corner to this weird hopping/popping noise? yep thats a locker.
You're going to notice it quite a bit. Going around a corner at speed will give you a controlled power slide coming out of the corners. Don't get this mixed up with fish tailing out of a corner. You'll notice the power and torque evenly distributed to the rear wheels as well as having more predictability vs. open diff. The difference is night and day from an open diff to a stocker lsd unit. The difference is also night and day vs the stocker lsd and the aftermarket lsd.

The down side to welding as well as an aftermarket clutch type lsd, like downhiller said, is the noise. :rofl: I don't know how many times someone has come running to the side of my door saying 'they'res something wrong with your car!' :rofl: I have 2 240sx's as well with aftermarket lsd's 1 with a 1.5 way and the other with a 2 way lsd and it never fails to get wierd looks at the movies or somewhere populated.

-Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts