BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
same but different
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 00 Ci just came back from the dealer. 2 weeks ago I had it in for a state MVI and the service advisor was opening the driver's door to check the milage and noted that the door was sticking and hard to open then the handle was pulled. Anyway, he asked me to bring it in and they would adjust it. The diagosis is a faulty door handle carrier. Parts: $45, Labor 6 hours! (the parts are on order, so the work hasn't been done yet). The door has actually been hard to open for years, I just thought it was the way the door opened (silly me, I never really compared to other E46 coupes). The SA said that it was out of the "grace period" post warrenty he is authorized, but that a call to BMWNA may or maynot get any support.

Questions:

1. Anyone else seen hard door opening in their E46?
2. Thoughts on BMWNA doing anything (in-service 3/21/00, 50K miles, original owner, pristine car).
3. I wonder if this falls into the DIY relm. The SA said "everything" has to come out of the door to get to this carrier on the inside of the handle (outside handle).

Any thoughts, comments?

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's interesting. I don't know if my problem is related, but I have an '05 coupe and have had a couple instances of trouble with my driver side door getting stuck. During those instances when I pull the handle from the inside it is very loose with minimal tension. This has happened twice. The first time I started the engine again, rolled down the window, and the handle worked. The second time I was able to open the door after pulling on the handle from the outside. When I take my car in for an oil change next month I plan to document it, but I don't think anything can be done unless that problem is occuring at the time I am at the dealer. :dunno:

·
Ik hou van Holland...
5,226 Posts
We had the same thing with our 2003 330Ci driverside & passenger side door stuck, both were replaced underwarranty...:thumbup:

·
same but different
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the screw adjustments noted on the thread from E46 fanatics and so far it seems to have worked. The door is not sticking today. This may have saved me $$$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts