BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post here. I have a 2000 323i with multiple door locking issues. I've searched quite a bit to find a solution but can't find anything here are my door locking problems:

1). My key fob for both keys has completely stopped working even after trying multiple times to reprogram it. I found a couple different ways and none of them worked such as turning key to position 1, removing it, holding the unlock button and pressing lock 3x also turning to position 2 five times and holding unlock and pressing lock 3x.

2). When I manually insert my key into the door it will either only open the drivers side door only or occasionally unlock all 4 doors. However, when I use the key to lock it, it only locks the drivers side and rarely will lock the remaining 3 passenger doors.

3). Another problem is that when I start driving the auto lock function that is supposed to kick in after 100 feet or whatever does not work.

I opened up one of the keys threw my meter on it and still showed 3 volts.
I have sent my gm5 to scott at http://www.bmwgm5.com/ and had that repaired. Still both keys will not work. I have also done a continuity test on fuses in ports 49,52, and 60 and all are good.

I'm hoping that all these problems are related any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
707 Posts
Problem #1 there are several things that can cause the remotes to not work or not sync. I had one car come in that had a working key fob, tested on another car. It had a good GM5 module, again tested in another car, but, it would not sync in the customers car no matter what I did. I took the GM5 out and put it in my car and synced his key to his GM5 without any problem. When I put his GM5 back in his car the key worked great to lock, unlock and pop the trunk, but, the sync procedure would not work and would unsync and require me to move the GM5 back to my car to resync.

Problem #2 could be a GM5 issue or it could be the key position sensor in the door lock actuator. It would depend on if you can hear the car try to lock/unlock electronically and it just doesn't work or if no sound is heard.

Problem #3 could be a car key memory (CKM) setting. Auto locking is probably not enabled when the car is unlocked via the key in the door, but, is only enabled if unlocked via key 1, 2, 3 or 4 when unlocked remotely. CKM settings are tied to which remote is used to unlock the car.

If I worked on your keys then they were tested on my car for syncing and all functions worked.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a while the battery went dead and when we replaced it the problem was gone
Battery on the key or car battery? The key battery is only 3v when I opened it up and threw my meter on it, it showed 3.04v.

Scott:
For problem #1 is it possible to be a frequency antenna issue? Also, is there a way to test using a multimeter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.