BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, trying to put my door panel back on and it AINT easy!! I'm having a hard time with the window seal. It isn't wanting to go back. I'm referring to the part that runs across the upper length of the door panel. The seal clips into the door, and also clips into the door panel. Its rubber and cloth, basically the window rolls up and down against it and it keeps water out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
The rubber seal on the door must be pushed all the way to the front of the door. The window should touch the rubber seal of the door, when it is all the way pushed up. I suspect that you might have the clamps in the wrong position, as that is easy to do. One side of the clamp sits in the recessed part of the door, & the other part on the rubber seal. Below is a PDF that should help. I also have my old door apart if you need some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rubber seal on the door must be pushed all the way to the front of the door. The window should touch the rubber seal of the door, when it is all the way pushed up. I suspect that you might have the clamps in the wrong position, as that is easy to do. One side of the clamp sits in the recessed part of the door, & the other part on the rubber seal. Below is a PDF that should help. I also have my old door apart if you need some pics.
Thanks Herb. I'm able to follow the PDF instructions you posted. That part is no problem. I put the seal in and when trying to reattach the door panel it won't go into the clips that join the door panel. Is this the correct order, install seal then try to clip the door panel to the seal?

Or should the seal be joined to the door panel, and then attempt to clip it into the door. (This seems nearly impossible)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Herb. I'm able to follow the PDF instructions you posted. That part is no problem. I put the seal in and when trying to reattach the door panel it won't go into the clips that join the door panel. Is this the correct order, install seal then try to clip the door panel to the seal?

Or should the seal be joined to the door panel, and then attempt to clip it into the door. (This seems nearly impossible)
That door panel is a PITA! I liked to never have gotten it back on the first time. It went a little easier the second time when I had to replace the $3 clip that holds the door lock rod into place. I don't have an easy way to tell you how to put it back on. You just have to keep playing with it which goes against everything our moms told us when we were little.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Place the clip on the seal, then clip the smaller part of the clip in the slot on the door. I will take a pic shortly, & hope this helps.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I was following the Bavsound install video where the installer tells you to pull up on the door panel to remove. I think this bent the top clips upwards, and effectively made them shorter. When trying to push the top door panel back, the clips could not reach. I ended up bending the clips down and out, and got the top of the door panel to mate with the clips. Lesson learned, when removing pull the door panel horizontally away from the clips, not upwards.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Most door panels are pulled up, but ours are pulled back. The rubber seal is not cheap, but the clips are around 3.00 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts