BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened about a week ago on a narrow two-way very local street. He tried to pass me on the left side and didnt notice that there was a car on the other side that is coming out of a parking spot (NY street parking). Then he noticed that there was not enough room and scrapes my rear passenger side door. I got the number of the person that was coming out of that parking spot as a witness. The driver did not have license/insurance. I was going to file a police report but then I realized that there was a little girl (about 4yrs old) with the mother in the car. It was a cold night and damage was not that bad. I did not want the little girl to witness her dad being arrest and worry about how they are going to get home and stuff. I took a pic of his NY ID and his Connecticut registration and license plate...its registered to his LLC. He did not have money on him and assured me that he will pay me for the damage and or have me bring my car to his friend's shop.

Now a few days past, I called and he returned my call. I told him I am not comfortable bringing my car to anywhere by my body shop. My shop quoted $500 - $600 if I really want to repair it the right way but they said its really not bad enough to waste that kind of money. They said I can probably go get a good detail and it will be good. So I called the guy and texted him a few times now to let him know that I dont need him to pay for the whole repair...but to pay for something. He is not answering or responding now.

What should I do? Just suck it up and pay for whatever myself and chalk it up for me being a dumb nice guy? Or is there something else I can do to pursuit some money?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Suck it up for not getting a police report. As you said the damage wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,240 Posts
File an accident report now. Driving without insurance isn't your problem. It is not your problem that the driver was doing the wrong thing. It was their choice to drive without insurance. They may actually have insurance and just don't want you to file.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,841 Posts
File the report, your insurance may go after him. They may even determine it was not your fault based on witness statement. Not sure about deductible. If it isnt your fault than no rate impact (varies w state)

Give him one last shot: "I will file with my insurance, I have the witness statement who was there and all your info; this will ultimately end up on your record and possibly your credit history- you can avoid that, but it will cost you $xxx. Let me know, you have 24 hours."

·
Registered
682 Posts
No license? Ridiculous. I'd be demanding cash on the spot or driving him to an atm. Ard has a good strategy...

I hate these ahole unregistered out of state cars that park illegally and don't pay tickets, it makes it worse for the rest of us. Same with unlicensed drivers...

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
File the report, your insurance may go after him. They may even determine it was not your fault based on witness statement. Not sure about deductible. If it isnt your fault than no rate impact (varies w state)

Give him one last shot: "I will file with my insurance, I have the witness statement who was there and all your info; this will ultimately end up on your record and possibly your credit history- you can avoid that, but it will cost you $xxx. Let me know, you have 24 hours."
+1 and yes, your insurance will go after him. Give them your shop's estimate, they may edit it a bit but you'll still get a decent check and from that point you can do what you want with it.

Some people would use the $$$ to buy a new TV from Costco (known as a cash out), you may elect to have it fixed at your shop that will ask for a supplement, or anything in between.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rules only work if they're enforced... The rule of law only works if laws are enforced & abided by those who agree'd to be bound by them...

Driving a car on public roads is a default agreement to abide by the rules & laws stated in the Motor Vehicle Code... If one fails to abide by these laws, enforcement should be the corrective action...

Hard times fall on many & it sucks to have to go through it; however, one is still responsible & accountable for their actions regardless of economic circumstance. You already gave this guy a very generous "get out of jail" card; don't let your altruism help further reinforce the underlying / fundamental character issue of this individual who doesn't appear to appreciate your initial generosity...

Go after him with all reasonable efforts, if not more so to prove a point.

·
Registered
751 Posts
So this happened about a week ago on a narrow two-way very local street. He tried to pass me on the left side and didnt notice that there was a car on the other side that is coming out of a parking spot (NY street parking). Then he noticed that there was not enough room and scrapes my rear passenger side door. I got the number of the person that was coming out of that parking spot as a witness. The driver did not have license/insurance. I was going to file a police report but then I realized that there was a little girl (about 4yrs old) with the mother in the car. It was a cold night and damage was not that bad. I did not want the little girl to witness her dad being arrest and worry about how they are going to get home and stuff. I took a pic of his NY ID and his Connecticut registration and license plate...its registered to his LLC. He did not have money on him and assured me that he will pay me for the damage and or have me bring my car to his friend's shop.

Now a few days past, I called and he returned my call. I told him I am not comfortable bringing my car to anywhere by my body shop. My shop quoted $500 - $600 if I really want to repair it the right way but they said its really not bad enough to waste that kind of money. They said I can probably go get a good detail and it will be good. So I called the guy and texted him a few times now to let him know that I dont need him to pay for the whole repair...but to pay for something. He is not answering or responding now.

What should I do? Just suck it up and pay for whatever myself and chalk it up for me being a dumb nice guy? Or is there something else I can do to pursuit some money?
That's a $500 lesson it sounds like. Pay your guy to do it right, unless option b is correction based instead of new paint.
Palatable damaged original paint normally preferred to repaint

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Something similar has happened to me twice in the past 6 years :-(

Each time I was stopped at a red light and was rear-ended. The damage to my car was 'minimal'' - in each case the driver presented driver's license, registration, and insurance card. Each was accepted by the investigating officer - once NJ STATE POLICE ... Once by MUNICIPAL POLICE OFFICER. Each of the drivers (just happened to be women - speaking 'poor English - Hispanic surnames) were issued careless driving summons.

HERE'S THE INTERESTING PART >> After just a few days MY insurance company notified me the the drivers insurance companies (based on the documents presented to LAW ENFORCEMENT) were NOT COVERED by those insurance companies. AND when my insurance company attempted to contact them - their registered US Mail was RETURNED = Addressee unknown / NO SUCH ADDRESS.

The respective courts had similar issues - UNABLE TO LOCATE THE DRIVERS. IN EACH CASE IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE DOCUMENTS PRESENTED WERE FAKE!!!!!!

I paid my $500 deductible ... the balances in each case were covered by my UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE (that I also paid for).

For the OP - Uninsured drivers AND fictitious documents i AND IDENTITY THEFT are growing problems. Google it if you have the courage to read the statistics!!

It's a (YOU have to be) brave new world out there.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I will give him one last chance until tonight. I am wondering if it will affect my insurance premium (Geico) if I do file cause he did'nt have insurance. If it does affect my premium, it might not be worth it for me to go thru insurance. Let see...

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,535 Posts
Thank you everyone for your inputs. I will give him one last chance until tonight. I am wondering if it will affect my insurance premium (Geico) if I do file cause he did'nt have insurance. If it does affect my premium, it might not be worth it for me to go thru insurance. Let see...
If so then you need a different policy / company.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,240 Posts
Before talking to your own insurance company, when you talk to the guy next, tell them you are going to the police station and filing a report unless they cough up. That may get their attention.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As others have already noted, I would have filed the police report. You should still be able to do it. For a repair in that ballpark, I'd seriously consider avoiding insurance and file in small claims court. Once you have a judgment, you'll have some additional leverage for getting compensation.

·
Registered
830 Posts
No license, no insurance . . . I'm sorry that this is someone so totally irresponsible and/or such a total scumbag, they deserve no quarter whatsoever. A responsible adult has both, if they take it upon themselves to get behind the wheel. And the sooner THAT lesson gets through to them, the better, for the sake of everyone else. I'm a pretty sympathetic guy, normally, but I just can't work up any sort of sympathy for that guy, and I'm finding it hard to do so for the OP as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Before talking to your own insurance company, when you talk to the guy next, tell them you are going to the police station and filing a report unless they cough up. That may get their attention.
+1

This suggestion sounds like it will be quite effective. And if he's not answering your calls, send him a text informing him that if you do not get his response within the hour or two that you'll proceed with the police report.

This could be more hassles for you than necessary, that is the actual police reporting and follow ups. If he fails to comply after all your efforts, just do the detailing and move on.

·
Registered
256 Posts

I sympathize with you for the minor fender bender and applaud you for being human to take pity on the family because of their little kid.

However, I do not see how your insurance company will be able to go after this fellow without an official police report. I'm afraid that there is no way your story and the eyewitness' could be adequately collaborated by the insurance companies thereby would be unenforceable.

You have been nice to them and if they choose to ignore you after all your efforts, just do the detailing and move on.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
I sympathize with you for the minor fender bender and applaud you for being human to take pity on the family because of their little kid.

However, I do not see how your insurance company will be able to go after this fellow without an official police report. I'm afraid that there is no way your story and the eyewitness' could be adequately collaborated by the insurance companies thereby would be unenforceable.

You have been nice to them and if they choose to ignore you after all your efforts, just do the detailing and move on.
It's called subrogation. Entire departments are dedicated to this, or third parties, and the latter earns me a bonus every year...

I actually am not so sure the guy has no license and no insurance. Think he may have been lying through his teeth trying to get out of something or not wanting to get his ins co involved, unless he does have a suspended license in which case driving with a kid in the car is just reckless. First class dirt bag either way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's called subrogation. Entire departments are dedicated to this, or third parties, and the latter earns me a bonus every year...
Hmmm......., Okay here are my thoughts and please guide me correctly if I mis-speak:)

1. He calls his insurance company reporting a hit and run or uninsured motorist incident, but that he managed to get the dude's personal details and also a witnesses collaborating account. I think, his insurance company will try to do good by him and fix his Bimmer if he is so covered (they may require a police report though). But nothing they can do to the fellow that caused the accident.

2. He goes to make a complaint at the police station about the incident. They will take his statement but will do nothing about the runaway dude. It is really a case of he said, she said; nothing criminal going on so may not be worth their time. They will issue him with a printout of the report and advice him to get with his insurance company.

Over to you....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Unless you have a $0 deductible (and even then?), I don't see how it makes sense to make a claim when your retail repair is $500-600, or if you can have it corrected for much less.

Someone hit our F15 a while back while we were away from the car, and no note. Damage was limited to a 2.5" wide 4" tall and 1/4" deep dent on the bodyline of the lower tailgate. I was able to have a PDR guy rebuild the bodyline and it looks good enough that I normally forget it is there. I'll likely replace it with a used piece in the correct color someday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts