BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Door seal repair

9920 16
SO I have searched a bit and didnt find what I was looking for --or-- was searching wrong. My front door seal is a little torn from normal wear and tear. Its torn by the door latch in the door jam. I was wanting to know if there is good stuff to fix this so it wont look bad and will stay together "as if it comes apart another repair means a whole new seal:(" I was thinking about using the black silicone glue "ATF" or something???? Just wanted to get your thoughts as I try to do things right the 1st time but cant afford a whole new seal at this time. Thanks ahead for any help offered :D
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
The black silicon may work but that will depend on how bad the seal is torn.
Why don't you just replace it with a new one?
Ok, click the DIY links in my signature. Click the words Great DIY Links, then hit F3 on your keyboard and then type the word Seal. Hit F3 a few times again. It's under the category Exterior.

Easy searching, right?
The link referenced above is great! I just replaced my driver's door seal following the tips listed in this forum and it was easy and worked great. In fact I didn't realize how much wind and road noise I was enduring and it was completely cured by this easy repair. The replacement seal cost me about 60 bucks.
I used some black electrical tape!
New door seal #51-72-7-116-403 cost me $71 from Pelican Parts and under one hour of my time.
Thanks!! Its easy searching now if its like that every time :D
Ok, click the DIY links in my signature. Click the words Great DIY Links, then hit F3 on your keyboard and then type the word Seal. Hit F3 a few times again. It's under the category Exterior.

Easy searching, right?
I can be. All you have to do is bookmark my links. Then each time you need an answer. use the F3 keyword search trick. :thumbup:

How else you think the long timers find answers so quickly?
Thanks!! Its easy searching now if its like that every time :D
Hi thx for the info but the seal Im trying to replace is not the one on the door but the one inside the door jam.

Easy searching, right?
Hmmm, so now you forgot how to use the F3 trick? The other seal DIY is there also. In fact, between the "Great DIY" and "Best Links" there are quite a few of them in there.

If you're looking for a DIY on how to patch it with tape, there is no DIY for that.
Hi thx for the info but the seal Im trying to replace is not the one on the door but the one inside the door jam.
Yes... The replacement of the jam seal was the one I referred to... per the above post the links have it all in great detail... And, again, it's a very easy DIY.
Easy is all relative.....depending..... I thought the F3 search trick was very very easy. Apparently, that's even too hard for some people. :bawling:
Yes... The replacement of the jam seal was the one I referred to... per the above post the links have it all in great detail... And, again, it's a very easy DIY.
+1, skip the McGyver fix and just get a new door seal. They do wear and can be considered a "consumable" item that simply needs to be replaced every 10 years or so. ;)
I installed new ones for both front door openings last year, and it looks so much nicer.
Be sure to print out the instructions from the online tutorials here, or on www.bmwdiy.info/
The link referenced above is great! I just replaced my driver's door seal following the tips listed in this forum and it was easy and worked great. In fact I didn't realize how much wind and road noise I was enduring and it was completely cured by this easy repair. The replacement seal cost me about 60 bucks.
One problem with the early bestlinks is that, in the first days, I was linking up a bunch of threads from other forums, based on previous bestlinks by other posters - but it's hard to update THOSE threads (because they're on other forums) so as to choose the one canonical thread on THIS forum to update.

But, here's what we have right now:
DOOR EDGE PROTECTION MOLDING SEALS neoprene rubber crumbles prematurely (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

Given that only one of those is a bimmerfest thread, I'll update THAT bimmerfest thread with this information so as to keep it all in one thread (as always, so that others who follow us have an easier time than we did).
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Advice on replacing bad BMW E39 doorway neoprene rubber gasket
Thank You bluebee :D As this is perfect>
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.