BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Bought my wife an 2016 X5 Diesel AWD. Great SAV. Only problem is that she has now discovered that she has difficulty getting in and out of the car. She hits her calf on the threshold ledge. She is not tall, so this is an issue with her. We purposely choose not to get the aluminum running boards as I felt they stuck out too far myself.

She believes that if the stock running board or threshold were removed she could step more down and out versus having to fall outward to escape.

So, before I do something stupid like trade it for an Edge (which she gets in and out of easier she says), does anyone else have this issue and what did you do to make your spouse happy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tell her to get in and out differently. Problem solved.

Would be pretty stupid to trade it in for an edge. Maybe she should have got in the X5 before you guys bought it.

Every crossover-ish SUV I've been in is awkward to get in and out. My wife's Grand Cherokee is the exact same way.

·
Automotive Addict
1,145 Posts
if the discomfort is found on the rocker panel switch to the unpainted painted rocker that does not have the side-step incorporated. that should solve the problem. if that doesnt work then your only options are vehicles that have air suspension which lowers and raises to aid and assist in entry and various driving conditions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what my dealer suggested. Just to make sure I understand, I don't have the running board with the black rubber on the aluminum, but the black with the aluminum strip seen from the side of the car. You step on the black plastic ledge (or hit your calf on it). As for the rocker panel, does anyone have this setup? If so, could you post a photo?

Thank you.

PS, ... we did try the x5 out before buying... need I say more?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
An X3 doesn't have this problem :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
Not sure I understand how the ledge is hitting the back of your calf on entry. How tall are you and your spouse?
A true gentleman would run 'round the carriage, to offer the lady a stepstool. :rofl:

Okay, serious answer. I have the aluminum running board (xLine). It hits the back of my calf and that of my wife. The simple answer is to step *on* it, rather than over it.

If you have the fancy-shmancy seats, you could also program the passenger side seat to squat down about an inch with the Memory #2 button. Tedious, maybe, but cheaper than building a SLAB low-rider with some kind of aftermarket air kit.

Admittedly, I'm making a traditional/sexist assumption about who's doing the driving. But I think a certain scenario is implied in your question. So she's welcome to run around and offer you the stepstool, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A true gentleman would run 'round the carriage, to offer the lady a stepstool. :rofl:

Okay, serious answer. I have the aluminum running board (xLine). It hits the back of my calf and that of my wife. The simple answer is to step *on* it, rather than over it.

If you have the fancy-shmancy seats, you could also program the passenger side seat to squat down about an inch with the Memory #2 button. Tedious, maybe, but cheaper than building a SLAB low-rider with some kind of aftermarket air kit.

Admittedly, I'm making a traditional/sexist assumption about who's doing the driving. But I think a certain scenario is implied in your question. So she's welcome to run around and offer you the stepstool, too.
You must know my wife. That is exactly what she recommended. I have read in quite a few locations whereas this is an issue, even without the xline running boards. I am 74" tall and notice I too have to step a bit farther out than I would on other suvs. She is 66" tall. Perhaps BMW should take note of the problem and redesign it for my wife... ha ha.

If only we could remove that ledge, it would take 2" out of the way and would probably suffice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts