BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Doru, finally got the new amp installed

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
Thanks for selling me your bum amp, I used the connector to make my install a plug & play so I wouldn't have to cut the connectors off the factory wiring harness.

See post #1, hopefully the pics will show if some of you aren't RF members.
Click here

#6 ·
Here's the pics, the text is over on RF.
Doru, those are the crossovers for the speakers. The OEM amp has them built it.

Attachments

#8 ·
True.

#9 ·
Hello Jim.
I will install the amp by the end of spring. It took me longer because I am not sure how to secure the plugin I pulled from another old amp (the one with the 24 or so needle pins). The needle pins slide back and forth through that rubber or epoxy, and I need an idea how to keep then in place when I plug in the "socket" (in the car - OEM as well). The other thing is how to fabricate the amp "holder".
Other than that I'm golden.

#10 ·
Doru, I used the metal bracket that the OEM amp was mounted on, just drilled and tapped new holes that matched the new amp.
For the 26 pin socket, I'll see if I can find you a better choice, something like the one I used.

#11 ·
Thanks Jim. Yes the real big problem is that connector. I was thinking of filling it in with silicone after I solder the wires, but once you try soldering, the original "matrix" that holds those pins just desintegrates. And I'm not even sure that the silicon approach is the right one.

#12 ·
Very nicely done Jim. I too saved my dead OEM amp and gutted it while preserving the original connectors. I have a few ideas on how I want to use it as I too do not want to hack into the original harness.

I was thinking of tracing each pin and soldering up some decent gauge wires to the back of a quality set of female RCA's mounted to the amp cover for aftermarket amp input and then connecting 2 3-way (front) and 2 2-way crossovers (rear) with possible a nice set of banana connectors (for amp speaker output) back through the original harness by using the proper pins on the OE connectors. I figured there was also enough room left on the amp cover for a couple of power lugs, one for amp trigger and the other to power my Cleansweep. I still plan to run speaker level power to it so I can continue to run my sub amp as well as preserve the sub level dial mounted on my dash.

#13 · (Edited)
hopefully the pics will show if some of you aren't RF members.
Click here
I'd like to put this thread in the bestlinks - but - I'm not sure what to title it as I'm kind'a lost - but the pictures look great.

Is it a DIY on adding your own audio amplifier?

If so, does this describe the thread?
- How to wire an aftermarket audio amplifier to the BMW E39 (1)

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
No. I have an old one gutted and sitting on my workbench for the last 2 years or so. If you want I can take some pics from what's left, so you can take a look. It's literally in pieces.

P.S. If you want to consolidate this thread, once I'm home, I should probably post the wiring of the OE amp. I have it somewhere in my home computer. If I don't forget.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.